shipfitter syndrome

Bob Keyes

Shipfitter syndrome is what it is called when you spend a stupid amount of money polishing a turd. I had that happen with a 71 pickup that was more rust than metal. What happened was I needed to change the oil, a very simple job, right. That was before "Shipfitters" struck. I said to my self. "Self, I am tired of changing the oil through the valve covers while you are here get some gaskets and change them". When I had the valve covers off I said."These things are really grody maybe I should clean them". When I saw the nice clean valve covers (after $ 20 in degreaser and Simple Green) I thought (or didn't think) while these things are so clean perhaps I should paint them. $30 later I am looking at those nice shiny freshly painted valve covers and said,"I AM NOT going to put those nice things on a nasty greasy engine", back to the parts house for more degreaser and cleaner. When I looked at that nice squeaky clean engine, yes, you guessed it ($75 worth of primer and paint), sanity fled screaming out the door at a hard gallop. While I was buying paint Temptation hit me over the head with a tire iron and pointed to the shelf with all those pretty chrome goodies, I WAS POWERLESS and found my self at home with over $400 worth of chrome everything, air cleaners, valve covers with matching wing nuts, thermostat housing, dipstick handles, you know the drill if it was chrome I had to have it. I thought I was safe, when in walks the devil himself masquerading as my best friend Scott who said " Why are you putting all that stuff on that engine, you know it runs like crap". I replied, " I don't know". He then delivered his death blow, "XYZ speed shop has long blocks on sale, let's get one, and I will help you put it in".
The final result of this bout of was a $4000 chrome plated brand new engine in a 71 POS that was about to dissolve into pile of rust in the driveway pickup!:Wow1:

AFSOC

Explorer
If you came here looking for support from a community who can rationalize the most outlandish vehicular expenditure...you've come to the right place. There really isn't a limit to the amount of money you can justify spending if you spin the right yarn around it. You may say it is crazy to spend $4K on a rusty pick up but I counter that you have "bulletproofed the drive train and enhanced the reliability so it will carry you from danger on your adventures. You may call that 1971 truck a "POS", but I will say emphatically, "the 1971 pick up truck is quite reliable if you keep up with the PMs".
PS: This thread is worthless without photos

Bob Keyes

RIP Ugly Orange

That poor old Chevy has long ago gone to truck heaven. I did however sell the engine for $2000 before the funeral.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Pshaww, don't worry about it. When the '71 rusts away to dust you can just bolt a bar to your engine and have a chrome plated $4,000.00 hi-falutin chainsaw. I've seen 'em on that there internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1