Shopping for My next Rig, in an Under-served Market Segment

BOPOH

Explorer
What was the last year of the Mitsubishi Montero Sport? That may hit many (or all) of your requirements but I don't know when it was made.

If i'm not mistaken it's 2004. it was rejected due to low MPG, i'm not sure if OP know that it's 18/22 well above his expectations of +17mpg. Some sports have factory 4.9 gear and/or locking rear diff. Sport is very under appreciated, most complaint that there is no support but it's irrelevant if it comes well equipped for offroad from the factory. Dealerships will not go anywhere and mitsubishi is well known for its own R&D that many other car makers use. I'm a little biased here, but i bought 2002 XLS sport 3.5L with 4.9 diffs for $500

jlcanterbury

Are you willing to flex your model year rage requirements and go 1-2 years older?

If so, then the 3rd generation 4runner would be an excellent candidate for you in all other areas. The 3.4l motors in those cars are nearly unmatched in reliability and longevity. You should be able to find one within your mileage range for under $6500.

Find a 4wd with a locking REAR diff and you will have an extremely capable off road vehicle without any other necessary modifications except for some good AT tires. You can get a limited model too, which include leather seats and a nice trim- the leather holds up really well over time when taken care of.

Dake21

Adventurer
The GV is smaller than its competitor and its more cramped inside so it could be uncomfortable if you are an average north american. I'm of slim built and my wife is petite and she finds most vehicle seating position to be akward. The 2010 explorer with adjustable seat could not have a position to fit her. but that's fine with me, a smaller vehicle means it can reach more places bigger trucks can't. With the 2.4L 4 speed I average 21 MPG with mines with AT tires.

Last edited:

dcbryan

Observer
Have you thought about the 2005-2006 Jeep Liberty diesel? Meets all the same criteria as the gasoline variant plus has ratings of 22 city and 26 hwy although I am not sure of the prices.

I did look into the Liberty CRD, the cheapest one on Craiglist anywhere in the northwest is $8000. So, out of my price range. That mileage sounds pretty awesome though, I can see why they’re worth so much.

If i'm not mistaken it's 2004. it was rejected due to low MPG, i'm not sure if OP know that it's 18/22 well above his expectations of +17mpg. Some sports have factory 4.9 gear and/or locking rear diff. Sport is very under appreciated, most complaint that there is no support but it's irrelevant if it comes well equipped for offroad from the factory. Dealerships will not go anywhere and mitsubishi is well known for its own R&D that many other car makers use. I'm a little biased here, but i bought 2002 XLS sport 3.5L with 4.9 diffs for $500

Wow, I had no idea! I must have looked up the milage on a different Montero. 18/22mpg puts the Montero Sport above everything else on my short list. Did a bit of reading about the Montero Vs. Montero Sport – looks like sport is the smaller/lighter version?

Looks like they’re firmly inside my price range as well:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5204717590.html

The GV is smaller than its competitor and its more cramped inside so it could be uncomfortable if you are an average north american.

Sounds like everybody’s in agreement that the GV interior sucks. I’m 6’2, so yeah that may be an issue.

… the 4runner was pretty much better in every category: more comfortable, more capable, roomier and got better MPG (16 - 18 in the city and on the highway I could pretty easily hit 20 - 22 when not towing. Best ever MPG was about 23 coming back from Durango.)

Are you willing to flex your model year rage requirements and go 1-2 years older?

If so, then the 3rd generation 4runner would be an excellent candidate for you in all other areas. The 3.4l motors in those cars are nearly unmatched in reliability and longevity. You should be able to find one within your mileage range for under $6500.

@Martinjmpr, I’m surprised by that 4runner’s MPG, that much better than I’ve heard from other 4runner owners. I was in my friend’s 1996 v6 getting gas last week and she got 13.6mpg on that tank. It was mostly city driving, but still.

@jlcanterbury I would be willing to flex on the years, but for $6500, looks like that gets me a 1996-1999 with 175k+ miles.

Here’s what they’re going for around here:

2000, 205k, $7300 http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/5221268283.html
2002, 173k, $8000 http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5177945890.html
2003 183k, $8300 http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5210880894.html
2004, 180k, $8900 http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5220685725.html
And the winner, 2002, 140k, $16,000 LOL http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/5198518716.html

Great feedback guys, I'm gonna add the Montero Sport to my list for sure.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Used car prices are just nuts today! Id rather have my old 93 Land Cruiser back vs paying $8000 + for a 4runner with 170-180K on the clock. I sold my 93 Land cruiser in 2011 it had 153,000 miles on it mint condition all proper maint knuckles, seals, valve gasket even all new brake lines and sensor for $7000. Far superior machine than the 4runner with 180,000 miles on it. Granted we got 13-14mpg with it.

The 2003 Suburban we sold two years ago for Grandpa had 98,000 miles on it basically only carried one old man its entire operational life with all maint on the books we sold it for $9000 and it was only sitting out at the corner with a sign in the window for 2hours. The guy that bought it was jumping up and down like a kid couldn't believe his luck. By the way that suburban returned 20mpg average from Ann Arbor MI to California packed full of moving stuff.

I would suggest a Yukon with 100,000 miles on it for $7000 over a old 4runner with 180K on the clock.

By the way all the recent very clean cars I've sold never were listed on craigs list. We just parked them locally with a sign in the window. They went for fair market value and I didn't need to deal with goofy folks on craigs list. Find your locals parking area where people park cars out on the weekend with for sale signs. Good chance you'll get a far better deal than craigs list. Not to mention our local dealers pose as buyers and buy up under priced cars off craigs list and flip them selling them for a nice profit on their lots.

jlcanterbury

Damn, It looks like 4runner prices are a bit inflated in your region (kind of like Tacomas here in CO). Just last week I helped my friend pick up a very nice condition 3rd gen with 200k, 4x4, rear locker, limited for $4500 down in Southern California.

Here in Colorado we picked up an immaculate 2001 with under 200k miles for less than $6k.

It could be worth checking other regions and doing a fly in/drive out or paying a few hundred to have one shipped. I'm clearly very invested in steering you towards a 4runner ;) please excuse my stubbornness.

BOPOH

Explorer
Wow, I had no idea! I must have looked up the milage on a different Montero. 18/22mpg puts the Montero Sport above everything else on my short list. Did a bit of reading about the Montero Vs. Montero Sport – looks like sport is the smaller/lighter version?

Looks like they're firmly inside my price range as well:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5204717590.html

That's correct, montero sport is lighter because it's built on L200/Triton chassis and feels more like a car but it still has many components of full size montero such as bigger 3.5L engine, overbuilt drivetrain and axles. There are plenty of nice features in sport especially for price comparison IMHO

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The down side of the Mitsu is that you have to be able to deal with the "red headed step child/orphan" syndrome familiar to owners of Mitsubishis, Isuzus, Daihatsus and now Suzukis. With a 4runner you have your choice of aftermarket parts or factory replacement parts, with "orphan" vehicles they are difficult (or in some cases impossible) to find. Not a huge issue (I owned a 1990 Montero for 7 years) but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Dake21

Adventurer
The interior doesn't suck, it's well made and I get nothing but good comments when I have passengers. But it's not typical roomy north american suv. It's bigger than the previous gen but smaller than a CRV.

BOPOH

Explorer
The down side of the Mitsu is that you have to be able to deal with the "red headed step child/orphan" syndrome familiar to owners of Mitsubishis, Isuzus, Daihatsus and now Suzukis. With a 4runner you have your choice of aftermarket parts or factory replacement parts, with "orphan" vehicles they are difficult (or in some cases impossible) to find. Not a huge issue (I owned a 1990 Montero for 7 years) but something to keep in the back of your mind.

agree about aftermarket parts, but not OEM (never had an issue ordering from dealer). Most of mitsu parts are widely used in other vehicles such as kia/hyundai, dodge/chrysler, mazda/ford, even subaru - there is no such thing as "impossible to find"

dcbryan

Observer
My threshold for parts availability is: If Autozone and similar nationwide auto parts store can't get the parts, then that's too much of a hassle for me. I did some research into the Suzuki Sx4, I called 4-5 big auto parts chains and asked for a set of common parts - thermostat, water pump, brake pads, etc. Several parts they didn't have in stock, and weren't able to get from the warehouse. I'll do some similar research into the Montero Sport.

Below is the 4wd system for the Montero, I'm wondering it it's the same for the Sport version?

eCA1cBi.png

Source

Last edited:

BEG

Adventurer
Why not just go for the full-sze Gen 3 Montero? The later models get 15/19 mpg, a crazy capable traction control system in the Limited and a monocoque body/frame with IFS/IRS for the most car-like ride you're going to get from a "real" SUV.

dcbryan

Observer
Why not just go for the full-sze Gen 3 Montero? The later models get 15/19 mpg, a crazy capable traction control system in the Limited and a monocoque body/frame with IFS/IRS for the most car-like ride you're going to get from a "real" SUV.

I guess gas milage would be the main reason, apparently the Sport gets 18/22 mpg. I was shooting for +17mpg average and keeping that is pretty important to me.

BEG

Adventurer
I guess gas milage would be the main reason, apparently the Sport gets 18/22 mpg. I was shooting for +17mpg average and keeping that is pretty important to me.

Not to throw a wrench in there, but the 18/22 figure is for the 2WD LS model only. LS and XLS 4WD models get 17/20 and 16/18 respectively. The sport also has a solid rear axle, which is nice for slow rock-crawling but not as nice at speed, both on and off road, as IRS. Either one makes a fine vehicle but you leave a lot on the table going with the sport for an MPG or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design