Shower tents and privys

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I don't find a specific thread about shower/toilet enclosures, so I am wondering which ones are people using, and which ones are to be avoided?

I am leaning toward the Trekker Fold-A-Privy at Cabelas for 39.99, but am also considering the Oztent cr-1 or 2, but they cost substantially more. Aside from size variations, they look similar in form and function. Is the price difference worth it?

Thanks.

wyojoe

Adventurer
I have the Cabela's Shower Shelter, and in general, I really like it. The only negative I can think of is that it takes a little longer to set up than some of the other ones that are available, but that's also because it's quite a bit sturdier due to the rigid frame. Here's a picture of it from the Cabela's website:
s7_516873_999_02

It includes almost everything you would expect in a shower shelter, and probably has features you wouldn't expect, too. I like the idea that it has interior shelves (for clothes, toiletries, etc.), and an exterior towel bar that can be accessed through the window. It also comes with a solar shower, but I use mine with my propane water heater instead. Due to the inherent design of the solar shower, the shower head hangs down pretty low, so it's somewhat difficult for some to use. I don't experience that problem with my setup.

I also have a shower shelter that I bought at Walmart for something like $30 several years ago. It is easier to set up than the Cabela's model, but it is also much flimsier. I never had a problem with it, though, even in Wyoming wind. In use, the biggest difference between the two is how confined they feel. The Walmart one feels very restrictive, while the Cabela's one is very spacious. The newer Walmart model costs about $35 now, and is larger than the one I have, but it's still smaller than the Cabela's model ($100 on sale, $120 otherwise).

Something else to keep in mind is the use of the shelter at night. This applies to all that I've seen. When the inside is lighted, it is not uncommon for a person's silhouette to appear on the wall of the shelter, visible to those outside. A word to the wise is to use discretion while using a shelter of this type at night.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I have this one from Bass Pro... If you've ever used one of those wire lined windshield sun screens that flip open with a flick of the wrist, this works like that... Set up is a snap. Take down is almost as easy.

It has a shower head hanger inside as well. You can either secure it with the included bags filled with sand put in special pockets at the bottom, or tent pegs and guy lines, depending on how windy..

10210792_10210792-t.jpg

Price is right too...

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have the Paha Que Teepee. It's very nice but quite a bit more expensive and I'm not sure that much more bang for the buck. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years and I don't think the others were available when I got it.

saburai

Explorer
I've been useing the out back porta privi for a few years - looks pretty much the same. I like it a lot...

I have this one from Bass Pro... If you've ever used one of those wire lined windshield sun screens that flip open with a flick of the wrist, this works like that... Set up is a snap. Take down is almost as easy.

It has a shower head hanger inside as well. You can either secure it with the included bags filled with sand put in special pockets at the bottom, or tent pegs and guy lines, depending on how windy..

10210792_10210792-t.jpg

Price is right too...

jim65wagon

We use the Zodi Hut for showers
1097599540_4240444940.jpg

its really roomy inside so its a breeze to dry off and change clothes in. It is open at the top so if you're using it as a privy be cautious in the rainy season....

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
I am dragging my Cabella's Trekker tent back to the store tomorrow. Just set it in the garage and can't fold it back up. Watched 8 videos on how to's but didn't help. At 7' tall it won't fit in the truck so it will get tied to the hitch and drug back for a refund. Can't believe that with 60 reviews on their website where 45 mention the hard to fold up part they still sell them. I will buy the cheapo from Walmart every time I need to use it instead. I normally have a good feeling for Cabella's product but not this one.

rotti

Adventurer
I am dragging my Cabella's Trekker tent back to the store tomorrow. Just set it in the garage and can't fold it back up. Watched 8 videos on how to's but didn't help. At 7' tall it won't fit in the truck so it will get tied to the hitch and drug back for a refund. Can't believe that with 60 reviews on their website where 45 mention the hard to fold up part they still sell them. I will buy the cheapo from Walmart every time I need to use it instead. I normally have a good feeling for Cabella's product but not this one.

Yep, I was in the front yard swearing, with the computer/youtube in one hand going postal.
The wife walked up, looked at the video and bingo did it....she trained me now I can fold it up too!
Really simple once you do it the first time....ask your wife for help! :)

codename607

Adventurer
What do you guys think about having a shower tent with a floor? After looking at several online some come with floors and some don't. I would think that by having a floor it would make things easier but never have used one so not sure.

Do you guys recommend ones with floors or with out?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I like the floor cause I don't like big honkin' spiders or snakes. And they like shower tents.
Frogs too. Wife had a frog incident once; I still get nightmares about the sound she made.

rambrush

Adventurer
We do like a floor feature, but you can use a piece of shade cloth similar to what we also put under our tent. Lets moisture etc. out but keeps the toes cleaner. The cloth can be easly put away with with the unit.
Our Trekker unit finally gave up the ghost after several years of use but the Cabellas shower tent is still going strong.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I also have a Cabela's Shower Shelter. Great for both showering and nature's calls (not at the same time!)

True, it take a few minutes to set up and take down, but it very secure and spacious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal