Skersfan's build for Old Sarge, May 2012...

southfarms

Axle

Bob,

I absolutely love your work, but I want to ask you about the axle you're using. Is it a Dexter torflex? No leaf springs? It certainly appears that it would be simpler to build without leaf springs. Does it ride as well or better? Thanks for all of your pointers on so many topics!

Stephen

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Don't want to answer for him, but Bob will tell the TorqueFlex has worked extremely well for him as he specs it and I can only agree having accompanied him on a few rough trails.

Ace

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Stephen,

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate hearing from people who are into our sport. It makes the effort worth it.

The Dexter TorFlex and the Alko Rubber Ride axles are used on all new US military trailers under 5 thousand pounds and soone to be on all 10K and below. NATO uses the same axle on all trailers and several other military forces around the world.

They are tremendous for off roading, whether it be boulder crawling, high speed desert, mud, snow or gravel. Been using mine for over 19K on my proto trailer and I have not broken an egg yet. Don't drink so can not make comments about wine glasses. And I would venture to say that my tear drop has done way tougher trails than most take theirs on.

I have used them for over 25 years and never seen one fail. They have been used in Europe for over 40 years as I understand it. Alko was the originator I believe. I highly recommend them, would never put springs or air bags under any trailer for any reason. But that is just me.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, and most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

New videos are coming!!!!!

rockman

Adventurer
Cant wait to see the new video's Bob :wings:
Have you put any photo's of the 'wolf creek pack ' trailer on your site yet ?.

Cheers Jim

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Stephen, glad I could help, never hesitate to ask. I will always try to help.

Jim, my IT Web guy is a little different, ah you already know that

He did email yesterday asking what type music I wanted, so the videos are coming a long. The video are of the trailer being pulled in Colorado, over Engineer, Ophir and Imogene Pass. I have about three hours of video, that will be cut down to 10 to 15 minutes and the whole videos will be available on the web site to. Not real breathtaking off roading, but the beauty of the area is second to none. I love the area, and spend a good portion of my summers there and always will.

Hope to have pictures of the WolfCreek Pack next weekend, I am waiting for the second Fox Wing, if it arrives this week yet I will have it on for an event in Anza Borrego the following weekend. Will get pictures then.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trail worthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

New Videos soon!!!!

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Fox Wing got here today, but still, I repeat still waiting on the water tank. I am terrified to build the frame with out it. Even though they state is is a certain size, I have found water tanks have different measurements than claimed. As I am making the frame to fit the water tank I just have to wait till it ges here, or take a shot in the dark and pray it is wide enough, just to much work to do that. May get the Fox wing on my trailer tomorrow though.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Jim,

Notified yesterday that the water tank is shipping today. I should have it tomorrow. Should start tomorrow or the next day. I have all steel, the axle, brakes, electrical control panel, micro wave, water pump, outdoor shower, lights and a few other things. Doors, fenders are here to, but will be a change, going to bolt on fenders on this one.

I am riding my bike a lot these days, between 40-60 miles on the road and 12 off road. Purchasing a new Carbon Fiber Trek full suspension today I think, so that may tie up some of my time for a few days. Going from a 30 pound mountain bike to a brand new 23.5 bike will be quite an experience. Either way we will get started soon, the water tank was the show stopper.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

New videos are really close, possilby by the end of the week.
Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass and Ophir Pass.

Old Sarge

Observer
Sorry I haven't been on this forum in a while, glad too see my build thread is still going! :ylsmoke: Last month I was able to take my trailer out to Wheeltoberfest @ Hidden Falls Off Road park, in Marble Falls TX. This is a 3 day off roading get together. My trailer pull nicely but at 80MPH tends to suck gas. :bike_rider: The group that I convoyed with ended up camping at the far end of the area. I had told Bob that I would get him some exposure there and was a little worried that it wouldn't get as much at the far end. I was wrong each day I had several people coming over to look at it. There were even folks from other camping areas coming by to look at it. As I got the trailer positioned the way I wanted it and the folks aroung me were breaking out their tents and setting up "Old Cruiser" joked about the difficulty of setting up my campsite....just un hook it from the truck! :sombrero: I opened the doors and took out the action packers and my table and I was done! Gotta love that!

Saturday night as I was going to bed and the band was playing hard and loud and we could also hear the clang of the washer board game going on, until I closed the door on the trailer It all went silent! I slept like a rock. The next morning I couldn't help but laugh as I listened to several folks complain about the band and how long they played. I am so glad that I nolonger have to deal with a tent and its issues. This is the first trailer I have ever owned and can't tell you how happy I am with.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Curtis

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Bringing this back to the top so customers can see the build. New trailer is about to start. Will keep all in the loop. A close friend passed away, and I did not handle it the best. time to get back to being normal. I hope to begin welding the main frame this week.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Good to hear Bob..those things are seldom easy to mend...best of luck moving forward, and really looking forward to a new build.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Pat, the good news is I spent a lot of time riding my bike, getting in better shape. I would have started this weekend, but have a damned cold. No energy, but should be up to speed by mid week. Headed to Phoenix for a road cycle race. No chance at being competitive, but get to see family that is racing to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal