Skinny tires on a Gen 3?

In the BFG T/A KO it's 31.7"
View attachment 195115

If you are looking at the KO's you may also want to consider the BFG Rugged Terrain. The Rugged Terrain is BFG's newest design and came out about 18 months ago and I have been so pleased with them I have already bought 3 sets, all of which are 235/85r16's. I have owned 3 different set of KO's over the years and they are good tires, but they have a tendency to wear funny if your vehicle is not perfectly aligned. Not that it matters to you but the Rugged Terrains are better in the snow and ice. They are also more quiet on the roac and handle better. BFG knocked it out of the park with the Rugged Terrain.

My stash of 8 BFG Rugged Terrain 235/85r16's on Hutchison Beadlocks 0492's

Beadlocks.jpg

20131016_171704.jpg

Last edited:

Jaynen

Adventurer
Interesting. Are they the mix between the ATs and the MTs?

Is the gen 3 below lifted or stock with 33"s? Because I kind of think yours looks better with the 31"s or whatever you have
DSCF5410-1.JPG

Interesting. Are they the mix between the ATs and the MTs?

The Rugged Terrain is an AT tire. Last weekend I drove over 300 miles offroad with them in the high desert and they were fantastic. The 2 weekends before that I had them out deer hunting in the snow and mud and they performed great in that situation as well.

Is the gen 3 below lifted or stock with 33"s? Because I kind of think yours looks better with the 31"s or whatever you have

I think this gen III has the OME HD lift. I have seen a few Gen III Monty's with 235/85r/16's and they look great. It's the best tire size for that vehicle in my opinion.

-

Jaynen

Adventurer
Yeah I am not sure capability wise if I would even need 33"s up here in PNW. But I might want to do the lift with the 235/85r/16 still

Yeah I am not sure capability wise if I would even need 33"s up here in PNW. But I might want to do the lift with the 235/85r/16 still

About 4-5 years ago I was all about lifts and big rubber but the older I get the more I realize that big rubber and ground clearance are over-rated. I have been able to do some of the more difficult trails in Moab with 30" tires and no lift while not scraping or rubbing. The current trend is big rubber with a minimal to zero lift. Personally I believe in no lift, adequate rubber, sliders, lockers, skids and driving skill. I think with some 31-33" tires on a gen III and the appropriate traction aids and body protection you would be more than happy.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
About 4-5 years ago I was all about lifts and big rubber but the older I get the more I realize that big rubber and ground clearance are over-rated. I have been able to do some of the more difficult trails in Moab with 30" tires and no lift while not scraping or rubbing. The current trend is big rubber with a minimal to zero lift. Personally I believe in no lift, adequate rubber, sliders, lockers, skids and driving skill. I think with some 31-33" tires on a gen III and the appropriate traction aids and body protection you would be more than happy.

This is part of why I'm selling both Jeeps and buying a Montero.

off-roader

Expedition Leader

I agree that you can have a ton of fun in Moab and many other trails systems with smaller tires. My only caution for those unsure about what to buy is to think long and hard about the impact (body damage, drivetrain damage, etc.) of having a smaller tire where a bigger tire is needed. If you think there's even a remote possibility that you'll want to run these 'more technical' trails, then I would suggest it's more prudent to err on the side of caution.:ylsmoke:

Jaynen

Adventurer
I imagine there are few areas only accessible by such trails? Which getting places is my main interest right now

It is critical that you buy tires according to the terrain that you travel the most frequently. I travel frequently in desert and mountain terrain because I live in Utah. We don't have anything that really represents jungle terrain. So I prefer the 85% aspect tire to provide extra clearance in the mountains and a tire with close lugs and small shoulders for the deserts. I have had very good luck with the new BFG Rugged Terrain. Most tires like the Duratracs are far too aggressive for my needs. The large shoulders on a tire like the Duratrac would just get me into trouble in the sand. The Duratracs are a great choice for you because you live in the wet Northwest.

cnutco

Adventurer
I thought I put an updated photo of my '03 Gen3 on this post, but I did not see it. So here she is...
avehe3y8.jpg
besupapu.jpg
vudejyga.jpg

BFG KM2 255/85-16
2" OME lift

Love these tires!

...and this is what I did to mount the larger tire on the spare carrier.
rarenyje.jpg
4ysupete.jpg
yvu9yruz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1