Sleeping bag questions

sundaypunch

Observer
I'm heading to Yellowstone / Grand Teton in early July to do some camping with the family. I want to be prepared for the possibility of night temps. in the 20-30 deg. F range for this and future trips.

We have a Kodiak canvas tent and use sleeping bags on cots. Our coldest camping so far has been about 45 deg. F. I'm going to invest in some good cold weather sleeping bags. My wife is the main issue as she is a cold sleeper and mostly sleeps on her side with her knees bent. I have some questions-

-In a mummy bag do you turn/roll within the bag or roll the bag with you if you want to sleep on your side? I know that some bags have less insulation on the bottom.

-We don't use pads on our cots. Will I need pads for insulation between the bag and the cot? I will probably buy 15-20 deg. down bags.

I have read good things here about the Montbell "stretch" bags and am considering them. I want to make sure it would work for my wife and for our cot setup. I don't have an easy way to try them out in a store.

Explorer
I would recommend a 0 or 10 degree bag based on the fact it can get down to 20 -30 degrees. The ratings are more of a survival guide than a comfort guide.

Mummy bags are nice and compact but I bet the wife would rather have the leg room.

A thick closed cell foam, or air pad underneath is an excellent idea on a cot because the insulation of your bag gets compressed under your body and gets cold.

Get a pad that is slippery on top but sticky on the bottom so it doesn't slide off your cot.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Everybody's sleeping habits will probably be a bit different, but I find that I tend to "wear" a mummy bag. In other words, when I roll, I roll the whole bag with me rather than turning inside the bag. Most mummy bags are tight enough that it's not really easy to turn inside the bag. For that reason, I'm not a fan of bags that don't have the same insulation all the way around.

It is something that takes a bit of getting used to, and you may be happier with a roomier bag if space considerations permit. I recommend you spend time trying on some sleeping bags before you buy them - go ahead and get down on the floor and get in them. Even within the mummy bag family there are differences in how tightly they fit, and that will affect sleeping comfort.

x2 on the idea of using pads on your cots - it will definitely help to put some insulation between you and the cold air under your cot.

adrenaline503

Explorer
My wife and I just got back from a trip where it got down to 6 degrees one night. My bag was a 15 degree and let me tell you, that was a COLD night. I have a synthetic Marmot mummy bag that recently replaced a Sierra down bag that I had for about 14 years. I prefer the down from a warmth aspect (it was also a 15 degree bag, just felt warmer) but prefer the synthetic "feel" a bit more. You do tend to roll in the bag, I often wake up with my ear in the hood opening and my face buried in the bag. I come from a backpacking past, so I don't know about the cot aspect. I would recommend some sort of pad or insulation under your bag. Maybe go as far as tossing another warmer weather sleeping bag under the mummy bag. Both you and your wife should go to an REI if you have one nearby. You can pull out any bag they have, climb on in and test it out. Roll around, sit up, and try to unzip yourself once you're all closed in before you purchase a mummy bag. I have seen people freak out in the middle of the night because they can't get out their bag. While funny, it's not very pleasant. There is a lot of info and opinions out there, so just go see what works for you.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
1. Get a thermarest or similar for placement on top of the cot.
2. Get a 0* bag, you can always adjust if it's warmer.
3. I agree about going to REI or a store that will let you try them out...you'll be happier in the long run. If this won't work, pay close attention to inside dimensions.
4. I think it's a good idea to get bags that have even insulation all around, instead of the ones that have less underneath, if you can spare the $ and extra room for their size.

discotdi

Adventurer
check out the Butler Bag. great for car camping excellent bag warm,big, three layer system for colder and warmer temps. Overland journal gave it high marks, I think it won their sleeping bag test. check out the website butlerbags.com

Lynn

Expedition Leader
As stated above, the insulation under you gets compressed, so just as well not be there (to a large extent). Especially if it's a hi-loft insulation like down or compressible synthetics. Matter of fact, someone (Mountain Hardware?) used to make a bag that had no insulation on the bottom, but had a pocket to slide the sleeping pad into.

A thermarest pad provides some insulation value, and some comfort.

Those cheap closed-cell foam pads are a lot better insulation, but not so good at adding comfort.

However, since you are comfortable on the cot w/o a pad, I'd suggest you don't need the extra comfort of a thermarest, and should just get the cheap closed-cell pad. Another option (if you're not backpacking :)) would be to get a heavy wool blanket to lay on. Wool doesn't compress much.

WRT the side-sleeping in a mummy bag issue, I have a bag made by Cascade Designs that is a mummy bag, but with a square hood, that is specifically designed for sleeping on your side. When you lay on your side you just put your head back into one of the hood corners. I really like it, but I don't see 'em advertised on their site, so they may not be making them any more.

One feature I’d recommend that you look for in a sleeping bag is a draft tube at the neck, to help keep the heat in the body of the bag.

Oh, and wear a knit cap to bed.

sundaypunch

Observer
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to get to a store and try some bags before a purchase.

If possible I would like to avoid using/packing pads. I'm wondering if a legit. 15 degree 800 down bag (like the Montbell #1)would still leave my wife cold sleeping on a cot without a pad? I realize that Yellowstone can get cold but I'm hoping not to see much under 20 deg. in July :)

My other challenge is getting a warm enough bag for my 9-year old daughter. I see some kids bags with a 20 degree rating but doubt they would perform that well. She probably wouldn't stay warm in a better adult bag. I may try a 20 degree kids bag but bring an extra bag in case I needed to put hers inside another.

dnellans

Adventurer
You can get sleeping bag liners as well that are anything from just a cotton sheet material, to flannel, to fleece. They can add a large amount of warmth to almost any bag but reduce interior room and sometimes can cause more tangles if you roll around while sleeping inside the bag. Sleeping in a baselayer with fleece pants/top over it is also something a lot of people overlook just because they don't like sleeping in so many clothes.

I agree with most of the posts though, get a 0 degree bag. If you're not backpacking with it you can go synthetic or down, it won't matter that much. So find a cheaper one that is a little heavier but don't skimp on the degree rating.

Travelmore

Adventurer
Our set up for cold weather are zero degree bags with fleece liners. The liners and bags both zip together to create one large queen size bag. We sleep on a queen air mattress most of the time. I would not recommend an air mattress for warmth though.

We found that my wife can not generate enough heat to keep herself warm. I have had to sleep with my arm in her bag to enable her to sleep. I actually find sleeping in a shared bag keeps both parties warmer. If you have ever taken survival training you know the best way to warm someone up is to strip down and share a sleeping bag.

go4aryd

Adventurer
Just for context, while you should be prepared for any kind of weather, in July it will typically be warm during the days and can be VERY warm (>90F, sometimes followed by thunderstorms). With a canvas tent, you will only really need to worry about staying warm those cold hours in the morning.

Ditto on the pads - I would prefer wool blankets or a closed cell pad under me as well.

My wife tolerates sleeping bags, but is MUCH more comfortable in a rectangular bag. Get a premium bag with just enough room for her to be comfortable. I use to double-bag the kids if getting really cold, but they tend to sleep warmer than adults. If you have a cold night, throw some hot water bottles (NOT boiling water) in the bottom of their bags to keep them warm.

Yellowstone is great. Enjoy planning and executing your trip!

kerry

Expedition Leader
All standard bags are going to lose virtually all insulation when you lie on them. Down or synthetic insulation on the bottom of a bag is a complete waste of money in my opinion.
I've used Stephenson's bags for many years. They sell them with a down filled air mattress as a pad, but I substitue a different pad. They are not cheap but they come with 2 different tops so they can be used in varying temperatures and they are semi-rectangular so they are not as tight as mummy bags. They can also be zipped together. I've been using my Stephenson's bag for 25 yrs.

http://www.warmlite.com/bags_In.htm

Be warmed, in addition to being smart sleeping bag designers, they are nudists.

sboada

Observer
You will lose a lot of body heat through convection, i.e. cold air blowing under neath your cot. I would definitely recommend a pad for this reason. Types of pads are many, I personally have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and Love it. http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=3 it had stood up quite well, and packs very small. I have used Thermarests for years in some pretty unforgiving circumstance with good results as well.

As for bags, if you're willing to drop the $$ on a Montbell, I would take a look at a Feathered Friends (www.featheredfriends.com) Not cheap, but no frills, and their products are unmatched.

Good luck and Happy Trails.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
If possible I would like to avoid using/packing pads.

Just in case you haven't picked up on it by now, I'll be frank. If you don't get a pad it doesn't matter what sleeping bag you get.

-Frank

Unless, of course, you get one of those old-fashioned rectangular bags that is huge when rolled up. Since the insulation on them doesn't compress, they don't pack down small, but are warmer when directly on the cot.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
-In a mummy bag do you turn/roll within the bag or roll the bag with you if you want to sleep on your side? I know that some bags have less insulation on the bottom.

-We don't use pads on our cots. Will I need pads for insulation between the bag and the cot? I will probably buy 15-20 deg. down bags.

When I sleep on my side the whole bag moves with me. So a mummy bag with no insulation on the bottom would not work for me.

You will want some sort of pad between you and the cot. A closed cell foam pad will be the warmest. (When winter camping I carry a closed cell pad to use under my Thermarest.

I would say you would want a 0* rated bag. The temperature rating is a "survival" not comfort rating. If your wife sleeps cold she will need a VERY warm bag, I know cold sleepers who are cold at 40* in a 0* bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1