Sleeping bag questions

sundaypunch

Observer
Just in case you haven't picked up on it by now, I'll be frank. If you don't get a pad it doesn't matter what sleeping bag you get.

-Frank

Ha, I have taken the hint about a pad. I will probably just go with a bag & pad for everyone & leave the cots at home to save room. I'm going to look further into the Big Agnes bags. I had avoided them because of the pad requirement.

Forget sleeping bags. If you are rolling in the palatial Kodiak, bring all the best bedding from home. Wool blankets, fleece sheets, a down comforter, and those full sized pillows with the floral print. You'll get more warmth for the buck and be able to wash it all much easier.

This is what I would like to do but I don't have the room unfortunately. I have a Land Cruiser with a storage drawer in back, Engel, & will have 2 weeks worth of gear for myself and 3-ladies. I have been packed to the ceiling for our 2-4 day trips within Michigan.

Photog

Explorer
Nobody has mentioned this yet; but it works even better than a pad, when using a cot. Use one of the inexpensive down blankets under the cot (no, not on the floor). I don't know how your cots are designed, but if you have room to lace a down blanket to the bottom side of the sleeping surface, you will be toasty warm. This insulation will not be compressed by your body weight, because you won't be laying on it.

One of these blankets can increase the warmth of a kids bag too. It can be layed over their sleeping bag, and tucked in, underneath. This will make their sleeping bags very warm, and it is removable.

I think these blankets are actually called a "throw". Since they are down, they will compress into a very small stuff sack, to save space in the FJ.

The cot will be much more comfortable than the ground, if you have room for the cots. If not, then get the thickest Thermarest you can find. You will be much more comfortable, if you have to sleep on the ground.

opie

Explorer
If anyone is in the market for a good, inexspensive wool blanket...hit up your local surplus.

I picked up 3 british wool blankets for $12 each. The easily cover a queen size mattress with two people on it. And they arent the itchy rag wool. Soft like Merino, but I dont think they are.

sundaypunch

Observer
Nobody has mentioned this yet; but it works even better than a pad, when using a cot. Use one of the inexpensive down blankets under the cot (no, not on the floor). I don't know how your cots are designed, but if you have room to lace a down blanket to the bottom side of the sleeping surface, you will be toasty warm. This insulation will not be compressed by your body weight, because you won't be laying on it.

That is an excellent idea that I hadn't thought of. I need to look into this now along with sleeping pads.

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Warmlite Bag??

To Kerry who uses Warmlite bags, do you find the "vapor barrier" concept comfortable? It sounds like having all your sweat collected inside the vapor barrier liner would make it so you would wake up drenched. Granted the insulation is going to stay dry.

I always seem to be too hot or too cold in my Mountain Hardware 20F synthetic bag. It seem hard to get a happy temperature "regulated" medium like when sleeping in bed at home. The only time I came close was sleeping in 40F weather with the bag unzipped and over me like a blanket.

Kerry, do you find the vapor barrier along with Warmlite which outer bag you choose allows for the "happy medium" I am looking for?

Thanks

Sorry for the HiJack

Mark

Last edited:

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Big Agnes

My fiance and I use the zero degree Big Agnes bags and love them. I always packed a pad before we got these so it wasn't any different. We love how no matter how you toss and turn the pad never moves from under you. I have heard complaints by people who sleep on their stomachs, but that's how I sleep and I've never had an issue because I just pull the head opening to where my mouth and nose are (stomach sleepers put there face to one side or the other, not face down), and it is always very warm, and very comfortable. The only thing that we are sad about is that we were unable to get the left and right zip bags so we could zip them together. Still looking for a left zip.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I always seem to be too hot or too cold in my Mountain Hardware 20F synthetic bag. It seem hard to get a happy temperature "regulated" medium like when sleeping in bed at home. The only time I came close was sleeping in 40F weather with the bag unzipped and over me like a blanket.

Try a down bag. Down closes up when it gets warm, so it has its own regulating system.

kerry

Expedition Leader
To Kerry who uses Warmlite bags, do you find the "vapor barrier" concept comfortable? It sounds like having all your sweat collected inside the vapor barrier liner would make it so you would wake up drenched. Granted the insulation is going to stay dry.

Kerry, do you find the vapor barrier along with Warmlite which outer bag you choose allows for the "happy medium" I am looking for?

Thanks

Sorry for the HiJack

Mark

Sorry I missed this post earlier. When I first bought my Warmlite it had a very 'plasticy' inner surface like visqueen. (my bag was made in the early 80's, possibly late 70's) While I never woke up sweaty I didn't particularly like it's feel. It also was not very durable. My wife's Warmlite had a different interior surface, more 'piley'. When my plastic surface began ripping, I sent it back to Stephenson's and had them redo the inner surface with the 'piley' material. No more complaints about plastic or durability and still not waking up sweaty.

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
I just spent my first night in my new Warmlite with the down air mattress. I noticed it was going to get into the low 30's so I slept in my RTT while parked in the driveway just to see how it would work before I got out in the boonies.

It was warm the whole night and I only used one of the overbag layers. I quickly got the hang of venting the bag when it got too hot and then dozed off.

I must say, I had the best nights sleep quite a while. I must have been dreaming about going somewhere :)

Mark

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My wife has zero circulation in her body, and can have cold hands wearing a sweater on a 70 degree day sitting in the sun. We got her a -15 degree down mummy bag, and it works for her. We often camp in the desert in the fall/winter/spring when the temps drop into the low 30s or high 20's. We also summer camp in the Sierra's around 10,000 feet or higher, with similar night time temps.

There are gazillons of types of bags, but I haven't heard anyone talk about some of the factors to look at in a good bag.

1. For women, a bag should have a small foot box. The larger the foot area, the more area her feet need to heat up, or in my wife's case, the less able she is to keep her feet warm at all. Good bags add extra insulation in areas like the footwell.
2. An excellent draft stop/zipper shield. A lot of heat sneaks out the long zipper. Having a nice down (or synth) baffle the full length of the zipper seam is very important. Also, it should have a canvas like (or denium) material along the edge of the zipper to prevent snags.
3. Neck gaskets. Its important for people that are just too cold to be comfortable to have a proper gasket or baffle above their shoulders, to keep out the air from around their face. Having a separate draw-cord on the baffle is useful.
4. Insulated hood with drawcord. A significant amount of body heat is radiated out of the head. Stuff your head in the hood, draw it tight around you, and stay warm.
5. Look for comfortable materials inside the head/neck/hood/baffle area. These touch your cheeks and skin, and can be irritating if not high quality.
6. You should be able to unzip any zipper, and undo the drawcords from within the bag. A good bag has inner zips with nice large pull tabs to enable this.
7. hip fit. Most women like a roomier hip area, and that smaller foot box mentioned above.
8. his & hers bags! Don't think that what works for you will work for her, or vice versa. Get a bag tailored to the person using it. For me, I create ample heat, and stay pretty cozy in low 20 temps with a 35 degree bag, wearing a t-shirt. Should I ever feel a chill, a thin liner works awesome. Also, I'm quite large, so a mummy bag just won't work for me. I use a big rectangle, and I like it.
9. Pads. For the first few years, we had nice comfy air mattresses, but she would always be freezing cold. We then switched to pads like this, and have been significantly more thermally comfortable, and remarkably comfortable physically as well.

For me, what worked for us was to buy about 10 different bags from Cabela's, then try them out and return what didn't work. I find Cabela's site pretty easy to use, with a great deal of info on the bags.

I would also agree with most people that sleeping on a cot is going to be less comfortable/warm than on an insulated ground pad. The only exception to that might be if you are older and/or arthritic and getting back up off the ground poses a problem.

The more comfortable and happy everyone is, (and particularly the wife), the more relaxed and enjoyable, and possibly longer the trip can be.

tent_fun-08.jpg

Layonnn

Adventurer
Good info nwoods!

A small issue, but i prefer down to synthetic. I have had a couple nice synthetic bags and just prefer the feel and breathability of the down bags i have used.
I would personally recommend anything by Marmot or REI. Both great brands with great customer service (In my experience) if you have issues.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Sleeping bags designed for women

A number of manufacturers have bags that are specifically designed women and help address the issue that women often are cold in many types of bags. I'm a bit fuzzy on what the specific differences are but I'm sure that the websites will explain them.

As others have said a good pad between the bag and cot is necessary for warmth. Besides the fact there is no loft on the bottom of the bag cold air is circulating under the cot.

Jim

sundaypunch

Observer
We ended up buying Big Agnes bags for the family. My wife went with an "Ethyl" 0-deg. down bag.

After trying a bunch of brands, the integrated pad sleeve is what ended up selling us on Big Agnes. We are used to cots and the idea of trying to stay on top of a 20" pad (esp. the kids) wasn't attractive.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I thrash around a lot and have trouble staying in a mummy, so when its cold (below 20F) I use two bags. I sleep in a zero degree mummy, the enclosed foot compartment is key to keeping your feet warm. I also unzip a cheap rectangular bag a cover up with it. If I come out of the mummy rolling around, it is no big deal. Also wear a watch cap or hooded speatshirt to keep your head warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1