Smittybilt Mod Bumper for E350?

warmblood58

Observer
lately, I have noticed the attractive pricing on Smittybilt bumper but it appears that they do not build for Ford vans or other . . . . Why not just buy the appropriate length winch bumper and have a qualified weld shop reset the mounting brackets . . . . easy enough? Any thoughts? Thanks!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a good idea. Just for info, stubby bumpers made for JK's are about 3" too short in overall width (45") to cover the bumper mounting brackets on the Ford (48").

warmblood58

Observer
Good information, thank you! Just not into paying crazy money for bumpers that can go for close to 2,000.00 vs, a modified 400.00 unit plus some welding -100-200 -

tommonta

Observer
Mine too, although I started with a piece of aluminum channel: CAD Model

Mainly it was justification to buy a spoolgun to be able to weld aluminum. Material cost so far is ~$400. This is the bumper I was planning to buy initially. If I wasn't having so much fun doing it myself, $1399 it is not that expensive considering all of the design and fab hours.

DjDrewDigital

Observer
I took a Rugged Ridge bumper for a Jeep Jk and widened it. The Rugged Ridge bumpers are great because they are modular so you can pick the ends.

First my dad made an adapter to narrow the frame rail mounts. Then made adapters to widen the pods on the end and angle them back so the bumper wraps around the front of the van.

The bumper came out to about a third the cost of an Aluminess bumper.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/jeep-bumpers.html

IMG_20131103_140622_059.jpg

IMG_20131103_140519_728.jpg

DjDrewDigital

Observer
I took pictures of the fabrication but my phone was stolen before I got a chance to post them. :( I'll try and get dime pictures tomorrow.

warmblood58

Observer
Perfect, this will work, thank you!

I took a Rugged Ridge bumper for a Jeep Jk and widened it. The Rugged Ridge bumpers are great because they are modular so you can pick the ends.

First my dad made an adapter to narrow the frame rail mounts. Then made adapters to widen the pods on the end and angle them back so the bumper wraps around the front of the van.

The bumper came out to about a third the cost of an Aluminess bumper.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/jeep-bumpers.html

IMG_20131103_140622_059.jpg

IMG_20131103_140519_728.jpg

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I really like that!
Nice job!

There are so many companies doing bumpers and accessories for jeeps. I wish they would expand into the van market!
That modular idea is a great way to do it too!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal