SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

dave84060

Was the spare tire rig part of your original build or is that something you built/bought after? My Buzz-Off build will be starting in a few weeks...

jamonsote

Amateur Adventurist
The spare tire mount was part of the build. I did the basket. Probably the best mod I did. I use it for firewood, shovel, drying towels/swimgear... How are you getting yours outfitted?

dave84060

My Buzz (from SCT Upland) should be pretty similar to yours: Roof basket, 14" fan, rolling on 33x12.5 BFGs same as my Rubicon.
So the tire mount itself - was that something they fabricated or is it a retail hitch mount? Is it pretty stable on a rough trail? It looks great.
I'd love to hear about these additional upgrades you're thinking about.

jamonsote

Amateur Adventurist
Thanks. The tire mount was something they fabricated based on my design. I have a picture of it pre-powdercoat that i'll post when i find it. The rig is very stable off-road, especially now that i have the adjustable shocks dialed in.

I had mine built up in Minnesota (Midwest Teardrops). I had several issues during and after the build so i wouldn't necessarily recommend that builder, but the guys in Upland made things right and i definitely recommend them. I'm sure you'll be happy with their work.

As for my future upgrades:

- gotta finish my rack so i can put the kayak up there
- water storage (on my recent trip i had 2 x 2 gal jugs that were secured with tie down straps. gotta figure out a better way). probably gonna fab a base for them and secure the base behind the tongue box on each side of the propane tank.
- a couple little things just to organize things better (mount a paper towel holder, cup holders, stuff like that)

No Ma

Wonderer
Where is Upland?

About 40 miles east of Los Angeles, CA. according to Google. It's the main facility for So-Cal Teardrops. Our 510xs was built there. Great people. Customer service like the best I remember from my "good old days". :^) I would recommend these folks to anyone in a heartbeat!

cactusjk

Explorer
Second to last build decision:

Should I go with the under mattress storage? No plans to store firearms, etc. I am thinking it is probably not worth it.

Doug E

Observer
And what would you store there? When we travel, some stuff just goes in the cabin. We have a tongue box for nasty stuff (trash, muddy clothes, etc.). The kitchen storage is plenty big, and the cabin cabinets work just fine. Things which we might use only occasionally, or for emergency, stay in the tow vehicle. It is my impression that the under mattress storage would be rather inconvenient except for occasional use items.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
Second to last build decision:

Should I go with the under mattress storage? No plans to store firearms, etc. I am thinking it is probably not worth it.

We use ours extensively. Storage is at a premium in these things. We store blankets, Mountain House meals, a Clean Waste toilet (some areas require one), rain jackets, etc. Maybe it's one of those "you don't miss it if you don't have it" kind of things. I really like it.

Doug E

Observer
To some extent, it depends on how you view the TD. We think of it as a metal tent, not a miniature RV. Consequently, Biffy Bags, rather than a portable toilet, are enough for us when required, and they store small. We keep the rain gear, as well as all other emergency gear, in the tow vehicle (it is our "back-pack"), and one down comforter is enough in the TD, even in winter. Think down sleeping bag. Etc. We have never lacked for storage even without the under mattress storage capability.

kayak4r

We got the under mattress storage and it was useful on our first trip. We filled it with extra blankets and jackets. Easy to get to if you need something from there. I'm with semi-hex...storage is at a premium. We thought better to have it than not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1