Solar configuration for powering 12v A/C

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Seeking commentary from those who understand solar better than I do.

Givens:

4x 190w solar panels
Each panel rated to 9.3a and 18.6v
MPPT Solar Controller
12V A/C unit draws 18A in Eco Mode

Question: is it preferred to wire the 4 panels in series or combination series/parallel when attempting to power a 12v A/C unit?

Wired in series, the 4 panels are capable of producing up to 74.4v with a current of 9.3a. If the A/C is consuming 18a. Does this mean that my battery bank is running at a deficit of 18a - 9.3a = 8.7a battery depletion per hour?

Wired in combination series/parallel, the 4 panels are capable of producing up to 37.2v with a current of 18.6a. Does this mean that my battery bank is effectively "breaking even" considering 18.6a solar production and 18a power consumption from the A/C?

If so, please help me understand Watts. Under both scenarios above, the solar produces 692W and the A/C consumes 216W. But will the camper house batteries be depleted more at the end of the day when wired in series due to the reduced current?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Energy is watts.
Series or parallel will make no difference (within the limits of the controller).
Series will require smaller cables to avoid voltage drop and parallel will provide better partial shade resistance.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
190x4 = 790 watts, 790/14.4 volts = 52 amps. 52 amps is the most you will extract when the sun is overhead. To get the best efficiency from your mppt, you need to connect in series, mppt requires high voltage to extract the most amps for you.
But you need to see what the max panel voltage is for your controller for a 12 volt system. I have a makeskyblue 60 amp mppt, it maxes out at 80 volts panels for 12 volt system, but some can go as high as 150 volts. If your panels are 18.6 volts x 4 = 74.4 volts , But usually the 12 volts panels in real world max out at about 21 volts x4 =84 volts.
If you can get max efficiency from your panels and mppt, running an 18 amp AC should be no problem. You will have amps to spare when the sun is overhead.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
It appears you are forgetting your MPPT will magically convert that leftover 60-ish volts into higher amperage output at 12V.

I wasn't aware of that magic, but that fills in a huge gap. I wasn't able to wrap my mind around where the extra energy was going and had assumed it was lost to heat. But the MPPT magic seems to be the answer I was looking for. Thanks

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Now that is settled :)
I suggest you also compare domestic A/C units with your 12V version.
12V stuff like this is a tiny market. Normal household stuff is very high volume by comparison, so is often much cheaper and much better, especially in power consumption efficiency.
Look at the small Mitsubishi Heavy Industry units. A suitable inverter needs to be included, but they are pretty good and pretty cheap these days.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp