Some montero sport questions

spawn_x

Hi there. Looking to pick up a montero or montero sport, have been doing a ton of reading, but had some questions

1. Do Sport XLS come with 3.5 standard? I have seen them but with a 3.0 motor, so assuming they came with both?
2. Which is more desirable - XLS, LS, or XS?
3. Is the 2WD or the AWD transfer case the better one to have? I suppose MPG suffers some with an AWD case?
4. Are the 97-2000 or the 2001+ Sports better? I do like the fact that 97-2000 have the glass headlights, but look slightly more dated than the 2001+

Thanks

Looking at everything but the 2001+ full size montero (do not like the styling and size). Definitely want a 3.5, an SR or snow packaged montero would be nice but all the ones I have looked at are pretty beat up

spawn_x

I've seen yours - very nice, but probably next to impossible to find. I've only seen one 3.5xs, and it was 2WD

2001+ coils are the ticket? what about 2wd vs awd and that whole thing?

Thanks Pirate

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I've seen yours - very nice, but probably next to impossible to find. I've only seen one 3.5xs, and it was 2WD

2001+ coils are the ticket? what about 2wd vs awd and that whole thing?

Thanks Pirate

They're out there but not very common. I prefer the 2hi,4hi, 4lo t-case over the awd t-case for simplicity sake and the fact I was able to switch to manual hubs and bypass all the stupid 4wd switches and the vacuum system. They are both plenty stout. If you really want to find a rare beast the 1999 limited came with a 3.5l and a few even had a rear locker.....I've seen 1 with this set up.

I would definitely stick to the 3.5l and 2001+. Really if you can't find a 3.5xs just go for the nicest, lowest amount of owners and lowest mileage limited model you can find.

spawn_x

I've seen the 99 limited with snow package (locker) you are talking about, and they wanted around 4k for it (over my budget)

Looked at a '96 SR with 130k miles, but interior was beat so badly I didn't even make an offer

I used to have an 01 sport many years ago, but it was a 2WD, but I really liked that car

XJLI

Adventurer
My dad had a 98.5 LS with a 5 spd, rear locker, swing out tire carrier, 32" tires and sunroof. Wish I was old enough to take it when he traded it in for a new one.

hove102

Adventurer
Hi there. Looking to pick up a montero or montero sport, have been doing a ton of reading, but had some questions

1. Do Sport XLS come with 3.5 standard? I have seen them but with a 3.0 motor, so assuming they came with both?
2. Which is more desirable - XLS, LS, or XS?
3. Is the 2WD or the AWD transfer case the better one to have? I suppose MPG suffers some with an AWD case?
4. Are the 97-2000 or the 2001+ Sports better? I do like the fact that 97-2000 have the glass headlights, but look slightly more dated than the 2001+

Thanks

Looking at everything but the 2001+ full size montero (do not like the styling and size). Definitely want a 3.5, an SR or snow packaged montero would be nice but all the ones I have looked at are pretty beat up

1.Most of the upper trim level models were optioned with the 3.5, but I suppose it would be possible to find one with the 3.0. Both are solid motors, though I have heard the 3.0 is more reliable and the engine you want for longevity. Not sure how true this is, just going off of what I've seen on this and other forums. I think it all depends on how much power you think you want/need.
2.Again, it all depends. I'm a big fan of cloth seats in my off-road rigs (and just cars in general), so I usually look for the lowest-option model out there, which in the M/S's case is the ES. Are there things I wish my truck had, like an outside temperature gauge, heated seats, and cruise control? Yes. Do I use them on a regular basis? No, and I'm okay with living without them because of this. The way I see it is that the less options the truck has, the less I have to worry about going wrong! :D
3.The transfer cases, both PT 4WD and AWD, are generally regarded as both being very reliable and sturdy if well taken care of, which is really the most important thing. Both can be giant piles of crap if the fluid wasn't changed or the transfer case was abused. They both have the same low-range, 1.9:1, and they both operate the same in 4H, the only difference being your "normal driving mode". The AWD (which is what my M/S has) really isn't that noticeable in daily use, especially here in sunny Southern California, but I suppose it's nice to know I have it. That being said, the mileage isn't excellent, but about what you can expect from a 4100 lb SUV with a small-ish V6, and it's actually better than a lot of comparable SUVs from that day. Even after 12 years, my truck is still meeting the EPA city rating it was given back in '03. Having done my research, I actually find that the AWD t-case is actually a bit simpler because there aren't any vacuum lines or electronic switches to worry about, just a lever that determines your drive mode. Put the lever in 4H, and you're in 4H; there's no waiting for vacuum lines to engage the front axle or sensors to relay the information. Also, on the highway, I think the MPG ends up equalling out between the two. I know my truck's fuel mileage goes up the longer I drive it on the freeway.
4.That depends on what you're going to do with your truck. The 97-99 M/Ss came with rear leaf springs, which the expedition/overland guys regard as the gold standard for load carrying because they can support a sizeable payload, but they also ride kinda poorly, as leaf springs are known to do, when driving around on the street in daily use. The 2000-2004 M/Ss, on the other hand, came with the coils, as you know, which make normal street driving so much nicer, and with a good set of shocks (Bilsteins ******!!! :wings:) they make daily driving pretty nice. A load is more noticeable in the coil spring trucks, but that can be easily remedied with a set of the OME coils. The leaf spring trucks also tend to sit a little more "stinkbug" (rear higher than the front) than the coil trucks. Also, the exterior and interiors look a lot more modern in the 2000-04 trucks, which is definitely my preference, and Mitsubishi continually raised the roof height throughout that 2000-04 span, with 3(?) different roof heights being used (2000, 2001, 2003). So, if you're tall, look for a 2003, which will have the most interior height out of all the M/Ss.

I'm considering selling my truck, so PM me if you have any questions.

hove102

Adventurer
thank you for this wealth of information, I appreciate it!

You bet! Happy to help. I know these trucks can be hard to find information on since everyone kinda forgets about them. I definitely did my fair share of research when I was in your shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1