Somebody please school me on Dually Tires and Wheels for my Ford Ambulance.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I just purchased a used 2003 Ford E450 Ambulance. 7.3 diesel with only 49,000 miles on it. The current wheels are 16" rims and a tire size of 225/75R16

I don't plan on converting it to 4x4 anytime soon but I would like the largest tires that will fit. I run 245/75R16's on my standard Ford E250 cargo van with no rubbing.

So I guess my questions are,

1. Is there any reason to go to a different rim size or different rims other than looks? I do like the looks of the black American Racing Mojave rims that I see on a lot of the Ujoint builds.

2. I've never ran dually's offroad, but I'm assuming you don't lower the air pressure when off road in the rear because the tires will rub together?

3. Anyone haver any luck installing anything larger than a 245/75R on a non-lifted E series Ford Van without cutting the body for more room?

4. Are there tires especially made to be dually's? Or are they always just two regular tires placed next to one another?

What else should I know about dually's? I owned a dually box truck at one time, but never worried about the rubber as it never had any blow outs and I never had any issues with it.

Attachments

• Mikes Ambo 2.jpg
    Mikes Ambo 2.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 10

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
1. No need to change wheels if you don't go 4wd. You could run the same wheels if you do decide to go 4x4 in the future though.
2. Yes, you can air them down, no issue with them touching.
3. Some say that 265s fit w/o trimming but I think it will need to be trimmed. Especially on a heavier rig like this that has worn springs already. Stay with a 245.
4. Regular tires, nothing special although there are some random sizes that are made to be under a DRW setup.

keane

Observer
I run the 265's on my dually E350 ambulance with a 1/2 spacer between the rims. The tires just rub on the ground contact, but even after a year they haven' shown any sign of wear. You do need to check their clearance to the leaf springs as i have seen them rub on the leafs of other ambulances.

billiebob

Tire size is all about carrying the load. Duals carry more load. Bigger tires only offer more floatation which thru soft sand is a good thing but pulling out to pass in the winter and crossing the windrow of slush on the centerline might be a bad thing. Personally after doing lots of lifts and floatation tires.....
I prefer Skinnier but Taller tires.

The tires I run on my Rubicon... vs stock Rubicon tires.
7.50R 16s vs 245/75R16s

7.50R16 in metric sizing is a 185/100R16... the smoothest ride I have ever had in a Wrangler.

IMG_0453.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1