SPOT Assist

dzzz

But you lose the non-emergency help button to your friends/family. It's also a 50 mile tow only. I don't know what kinds of roads they'll send a tow truck. The fine print needs study. AAA has towing, and it's free for most people considering the 10% motel discount. Of course the cell phone needs to work for that.
As I said in another thread, spots kinda pricey now that we have $300 PLB with GPS.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
The fine print eliminates the service for me.

You must be within 100 meters of a regularly maintained roadway. Service is not offered in roadless areas regularly not traveled, such as vacant lots, beaches, open fields or other places which are hazardous for tow trucks to reach.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
But you lose the non-emergency help button to your friends/family. It's also a 50 mile tow only. I don't know what kinds of roads they'll send a tow truck. The fine print needs study. AAA has towing, and it's free for most people considering the 10% motel discount. Of course the cell phone needs to work for that.
As I said in another thread, spots kinda pricey now that we have $300 PLB with GPS.

PLB's are great if you're gonna die, but I think the SPOT is better in that it will save me if I'm gonna die (like a PLB) as well as allowing me to track my route for later study and let my friends and family know that I am not gonna die.

To me the "OK" and Track functions are almost as important as the "911" and "Help" functions.

cruisertoy

Explorer
PLB's are great if you're gonna die, but I think the SPOT is better in that it will save me if I'm gonna die (like a PLB) as well as allowing me to track my route for later study and let my friends and family know that I am not gonna die.

To me the "OK" and Track functions are almost as important as the "911" and "Help" functions.

I believe most PLB's are much higher powered and get satalite reception much easier. I would have been dead and not known where I was with my SPOT in Hawaii a few weeks ago. Same thing up a wide canyon here in Utah in January- my spot could not get a satalite locked in. I still use my spot, but carry a PLB for when it really hits the fan.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Just an update... i just got off the phone with SPOT updating my info with them for this year and i asked about this 24/7 assist.

If you DO go with this plan, it overrides your HELP button. So that means you can't have both. One or the other. So you can't click the HELP button to have your friends bring you tools, fuel or what have you... you will now get a tow truck instead.

Just FYI.

Also, quick note... on the recovery/911 insurance. GET IT when you buy the unit! It's only $7 on the initial sign up. VS. $150.00 after your up and running. So they want you to get it right off the bat basically.

silentsamurai

Explorer
I am surprised I didn't mention this on this site. I work for Vessel Assist. We have integrated this system into our dispatching for our members when you are out on your boat, or trailering your vessel. As you see in the original link to the spot site, you see our boat towing another in the harbor. I wont be much help for you guys because our plan is for mainly boat owners. I wont be the one answering your call if you sign up for this under just driving / roadside assistance. Still a very good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1