SPOT Global Messenger

SpotMaker

Luke said:
Just throwing it out there, but what about shielding the 911/Help button somehow to make it idiot proof so you're not accidently putting out a distress beacon if it gets bumped inside your bag or something. It may be something as simple as molding the case with little walls around the button...any thoughts?

Have you seen a real live SPoT? It has exactly what you're describing on the 911 button. There is a moulded ridge around the 911 button so that it is recessed. :)

"Help" is actually a user-defined message. Not nearly as big a deal if it is sent accidentally.

You also have to hold the help and the 911 button down for two seconds to activate the mode.

Last edited:

Luke

Observer
Whoops my bad. Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short. I haven't actually held one. I guess I didn't look at the pictures close enough.
If you ever need any product testing done in remote parts of the world (i.e. Afghanistan) in combat conditions I will be happy to volunteer :D :ar15:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I know this doesn't have much to do with you SPOTMAKER.. but what's the problem when i save my billing/contact info and it saves under a different city automatically??? I believe it also changed my street name too by itself. I cannot get it to keep what i originally type in.

Heard any issues with this problem?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
I know this doesn't have much to do with you SPOTMAKER.. but what's the problem when i save my billing/contact info and it saves under a different city automatically??? I believe it also changed my street name too by itself. I cannot get it to keep what i originally type in.

Heard any issues with this problem?

You have the "Bill Others" preference turned on. Nice feature I think.:D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Tucson T4R said:
You have the "Bill Others" preference turned on. Nice feature I think.:D

bwahahahahah!!! Yeah, and when they bring me home in a box they'll bring me to someone else too? lol:oops:

K2RVR

Adventurer
Got mine today and am very impressed. After 10 years in SAR, this is probably the best tool I have seen that allows someone to summon help in the wild, and call it off when not needed anymore.

Great battery life, and multipurpose in also letting family know all is OK. That alone will allow me to do more trips with my son.

Very cool and reasonable priced product.

TheRoadie

Explorer
Another possible use for SPOT

After TacoDoc's experiment throwing mine in his center console, I tried the same thing over the last couple days. Got about 50% of the messages through, but it gave me a thought.

Now whenever I park at the mall or Costco shopping, I turn it on track mode and hide it in the console as a poor-man's LoJack unit. If the vehicle ever gets stolen, I have a better than 50-50 chance of getting a track to help the cops track it.

OnStar is also a tracking technology, but the bad guys all know that and disable the system as soon as they steal the vehicle.

Scott Brady

Founder
TheRoadie said:
After TacoDoc's experiment throwing mine in his center console, I tried the same thing over the last couple days. Got about 50% of the messages through, but it gave me a thought.

Now whenever I park at the mall or Costco shopping, I turn it on track mode and hide it in the console as a poor-man's LoJack unit. If the vehicle ever gets stolen, I have a better than 50-50 chance of getting a track to help the cops track it.

OnStar is also a tracking technology, but the bad guys all know that and disable the system as soon as they steal the vehicle.

Yeah, I have already tested that functionality. This tool is going to be awesome!

I think someone already has recovered a motorcycle using SPOT, somewhere in Baja.

Scott Brady

Founder
El Camino Del Diablo:

route_ECDD.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I added a thread for posting up the track progress results from trips we take.

Spotmaker:
Any plans for offering a .gpx download from the message history screen? We could simply select the track points (or select all) and instead of ShowOnMap, we could click ExportTrackFile. Being an .xml standard for GIS files, .gpx is readable by most GPS software now, which would allow us to share tracks upload track to GPS units, etc.

One more question: Is there a limit to the number of stored track points, or do the "expire" at any point? I will likely have the SPOT running the entire time on my South America expedition, 5-6 months...

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
This would have been a great tool for the Arctic Expedition (could have bought a couple of them compared to renting the PLB)

Cool tool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1