SprinterWild, a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4

montanawild

Hello! My name is Leslie Gaines and I'm a documentary film producer and Goal Zero Solar sales representative. Over the years I've built and travelled around North America and Mexico in several different campers. In the late 70's I owned a Holiday Rambler travel trailer, a few Airstreams from the 60's and 70's, a barely used Unimog 140L that I custom built, a Ford F-250 diesel with a Four-Wheel Camper Keystone, a 2012 Toyota Tundra with the same Four-Wheel Camper, a 2006 E-350 Sportsmobile van and now finally my dream van, a 2015 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4 that I'm currently building into my full time home on the open road.

Today, I'm embarking on my new adventure--sharing the story of my van build and some of the people I've met along the back roads of the United States and Mexico. This van has been a dream of mine for a long time and it's now a reality. I hope readers will learn something from my mistakes and experiences and be inspired to build their dream camper.

Here is a picture of me sorting out too much stuff at my cottage in Montana and a shot of the first night camped in the van on the Clark Fork River in Montana.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Leslie, I am looking forward to your story.
You may have to have a certain number of posts under your belt to post pictures or links.
I am sure someone with more knowledge about that will be along shortly.

Ward

montanawild

I am new to this and a Mac user. Posting here doesn't seem very intuitive. Sorry that the photos I wanted to post are not able to be posted until I have twenty posts. I have no idea how to open a "photo bucket."

montanawild

Picking the best van

Picking the Right Van

In 2014 I was able to find a great deal on a barely used 2006 Ford E-350 Sportsmobile van. I located the van on the used section of the Sportsmobile West web site. The folks at Sportsmobile were helpful in setting up the purchase and very diligent. I drove to Bellingham, WA and picked up the van. For a year I enjoyed camping in this van and drove it about 25,000 miles and eventually to Florida and back to Montana where I have a cottage near the Yellowstone River. I’m 6’1” tall and I always was crawling around like a blue crab so I longed for a Sprinter where I could stand up.

tarditi

Explorer
Welcome aboard - looking forward to the posts. While I whole-heartedly recommend using this forum, for your adventures and professional work I recommend starting a blog and just keeping us informed on the forum how your tale is unfolding.

Goal0 - love me some goal0!

montanawild

As soon as I get to 20 posts I'll start adding some photos. I'm planning to add a 35 gallon water tank from West Marine and want to add a hot water heater. Would love to hear ideas on this.

montanawild

If I had to use a PC I'd just shoot myself. Love the MacBook Pro. Will be documenting the wild folks I meet with a Sony FS-7 4K camera system. You can find me at SprinterWild on Facebook and Instagram.

CurtStyler

Observer
Awesome story, can't wait to see how the van build turns out! I'm so excited to see what people do with the 4x4 Sprinters.

montanawild

I didn't see the van build section and probably need to move my thread to the van build section. As soon as I hit 20 posts I'd like to do that and move the whole build sequence.
Is is hard to move the thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp