steel wheel opinons

JeepJK2011

Hey Guys, I am looking at going with a set-up, or I should say more of a style since my JK will be mostly all stock for now, as the rims on the famous JK-Overland. I know it sits on the Mopar winter wheels which are 17' rims. I bought my JK with the stock 16" wheels and upgraded the tires but kept the stock steels. Does anyone know of a similar steel wheel that is a 16". I have done a bit of research and found that some of the WJ rigs came with a 16X6.5" steel rim with a 5X5 bolt pattern on their spare. anyone have these in your WJ or better yet mounted on a JK? I really dont want to get a new set of rubber just for my wheels and I like how the 32" tires sit on 16" rims.

thanks

Frank

Explorer
You can find take off Rubicon wheels in 16" for about $500 shipped on various forums. That's a pretty economical way to go and looks good!

JPK

Explorer
JK Rubicons have 17" wheels, TJ and LJ Rubicons had 16" wheels, but the bolt pattern is different.

Here is a thread on the topic on JeepForum.com, some good info: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/steel-wheels-1317051/

Cragar Soft 8's are the closest I can think of, there's a link to Sunnit showing the Cragar Soft 8's on the link to JeepForums.

How wide of a tire are you thinking about? The 6.5" wheels limit your choices.

JeepJK2011

235/85 should fit right on the rims good, just curious of the backspacing / offset as i never really understood that aspect of rims. i know its a really tall skinny tire but i like the look.

JPK

Explorer
Here, also from JeepForum:
"16" wheel
factory 16" wheels are 7" wide with 5.5" backspacing. (standard and optional X)
most/all aftermarket 16" wheels will fit reguardless of backspacing.
up to an 11.5" wide tire can be placed on the factory wheels but 1-1.5" wheel spacer will be needed"

The backspacing is a little less on the 16" wheels you want to use, so you should be fine. FYI, you could go with 255/85/16 piza cutters, which are 33" tall. Worst case is you have to add Spider Trax wheel spacers and live with some very minor rubbing.

Also, Spider Trax has adapters which would allow the use of the 16" Rubicon wheels from a TJ.

Another helpful JeepForum link:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jeep-jk-frequently-asked-questions-326818/#post4342379

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Can anyone comment on the durability of steel wheels compared to alloys?

Which one will take more punishment?

Which one is lighter?

Thanks,
-Dan

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Can anyone comment on the durability of steel wheels compared to alloys?

Which one will take more punishment?

Which one is lighter?

Thanks,
-Dan

Steel wheels are more durable but aluminum is lighter for obvious reasons. If you ********** an aluminum wheel on a rock the aluminum will crack, whereas a steel wheel will slightly bend but still keep going and likely not break the bead. I have bent a few steel wheels on the trail and just kept on driving, I know I would have been stranded or at least had so use my spare if I had been running aluminum wheels.

Idlehour

Observer
steelies can bend, but they can sometimes be bent back enough to limp home.

the only alloys i have ever seen bent are street racers who hit curbs with low profile tires. there are lots of DUI "set of 3"s on craigslist. :bike_rider:

a good thing about steel wheels is you can run smaller diameter wheels and they will still clear the brake disk. guys on the jk forums are running 15's(only certain size/brands will work). the price difference in tires can pay for new steel wheels when going from 17, or 16 to 15 inch wheels/tires. Sahara 18 --> 16 can pay for new alloy wheels.

what do you like about the winter wheels? the lack of lip? the industrial look? round holes? white paint?

procomp has round hole steelies, but they have a lip on them.

one of the rugged ridge sema jeeps has steelies with a lip, but they painted the centers and the rim black so it blends in with the tire, creating a similar look.
http://www.fte.co.uk/sema11/cell_shots/rr_jk_snorkel.jpg

Last edited:

mrshish

Observer
I just ordered my JKU and also like the winter wheel look. The thing I don't like is they really need a spacer but I'm a little worried about safety doing that. I would also like to stay with alloy to help keep the weight down and MPG up.

I'm thinking about using the AEV Savegre wheels and painting them white to match the Jeep. Here's a thread of someone who started with the winter wheels, made the swap to AEV and painted them tan to match. I think they will look on a white rig as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/ok-its-official-im-back-sahara-tan-sahara-build-1170305/

Page 8 is the first shot with the tan mounted wheels. AEV seems to have done a good job designing the wheel for the Jeep and I think it looks great and everything I've read leads me to believe it performs great as well.

Of course if you do the same thing I was planning then I can see if it really does look good before I layout any cash. :)

Idlehour

Observer
AEV makes beautiful wheels. They only come in 17" though.
i was always instantly drawn to their wheels, then i figured it out - they look a lot like the wheels that were on bedroom wall in the 80s.
pintler = testarossa
AEV%20Argent%20Pintler%201.jpg

ferrari-testarossa-1.jpg

and

saverge = countach
AEV_Savegre_Silver_md.jpg

lamborghini-countach-red-1986.jpg

wonder if they have anything that looks like this:
bud_girls-80s.jpg

sorry for the thread jack......

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I had steel wheels and wont go back.

On my DD JK I've wheeled the hell out of my (AEV) aluminum wheels in the rocks and they've been great. I'd buy them again hands down. Yes they've got some nicks but to me it's character.

AEV makes beautiful wheels. They only come in 17" though.
i was always instantly drawn to their wheels, then i figured it out - they look a lot like the wheels that were on bedroom wall in the 80s.
pintler = testarossa
ferrari-testarossa-1.jpg

I did have a very similar poster in my bedroom growing up & I played a lot of Sega Outrun - maybe that's why I have Pintlers on my JK?

You can't forget about AEV's other Ferrari looking wheel the 16 inch Bridger...

Attachments

• 1950.jpg
    1950.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 1948.jpg
    1948.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 56

JeepJK2011

not sure what it is excactly that is drawing me to them, just like the overall look. i had a 82 cj 7 with the wagon wheels on it, and then two yj's, on with soft 8's and one with the d openings. liked them all i guess my style is just changing, and no one around here is really driving them. it really wouldnt make a difference to me if they were alloy or steel to be honost, price is a factor though. all 5 of the steel rims i am about to hit buy on are $285

squint

Adventurer
I completely understand why you want those wheels. I have always thought they looked great. I am a big fan of the old steel wheel and military look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1