Subaru Forester & Outback - Educate Me

Elliot Press

Observer
Not really. There are, but it isn't anything worth bothering about.
If the Subaru vehicles were able to be lifted real big (anything over 3 inches is unsafe and puts stress on your car) then the differences between the Outback and Forester wouldn't matter. But when you car is low to the ground, the extra wheel base is dangerous offroad as is the angles of approach and departure.

Powdaze

Observer
Just curious, aside from the shorter wheelbase and better departure angles, is there any other major difference between the OB and the Forester? Suspension, drivetrain, tranny, etc??

Well if you are talking about ON road performance there are huge differences. The OB is more car-like in its driving dynamics. It has a longer wheel base, lower seating position, and a lower center of gravity. You can get the H6 for luxury car-like smoothness and refinement, plus the 5EAT and VTD AWD are available to you. None of these benefits will you find on any Forester to date.

But for OFF road trail adventures, the Forester would be my choice simply for the increased ground clearance, shorter wheel base, and more favorable approach, breakover and departure angles. Just like Elliot stated.

And if we are talking about very technical "rock crawling" then you really shouldn't be looking at either one.

Elliot Press

Observer
And if we are talking about very technical "rock crawling" then you really shouldn't be looking at either one.

True :)
However, a lifted Forester with good rubber can do some pretty amazing things. But nothing like a kitted out Defender or Patrol, etc.

Ruffin' It

Explorer

Elliot Press

Observer
Last edited:

Powdaze

Observer
Here's my mates Forester hooning around in some boggy sand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVWhi_S5ZrQ

His car has since had more work done on it, including some gnarly big tires. It's unstoppable.

Compared to mine hooning around when it was entirely stock, with normal tires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRSXrut6HNM

and if you want a good laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYwV-7hAaE
My mates car was going fine through the water until he hit an obstacle.

Elliot-

Great vids. That first Forester sounds mean too!

pint

Adventurer
I'm leaning towards the Forester. Would love a 5 speed. What kind of tires are people running? I've always loved Nitto Terra Grapplers, or BFG All Terrain TA's? I think they both make small enough sizes. Any thoughts? Any pics of a Subie with "off road" tires?

offroadsubie

Observer
Go for the forester, i've got a '03 and love it. Great on logging roads and light offroading. I'm changing next year for a disco II but I'll miss my subie for sure! The discovery is a lifetime dream of mine that's'the only reason otherwise i'd'keep it

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I owned a '99 Outback Wagon and loved it. It's actually the only "car" I've ever owned - every other 4 wheeled vehicle I've had has been either a pickup or an SUV.

For any kind of exploration, though, I'd agree with the majority here and say go for the Forester. Better clearance, more storage inside and shorter overhangs make for a much better platform. IMO the 2003-2007 body style is the best looking one they ever made.

Another advantage to going with the 2003+ is that all the persisent head gasket issues with the 2.5 motor were resolved by that time. My '99 didn't have a blown gasket by the time I traded it in with 120k on the clock, but I was worried the whole time I owned it.

Down in Australia you can actually get a Forester with a low-range, although only with the manual transmission. Over on some of the Subaru message boards there are people who talk about importing one of the dual-range transmissions but I've never actually seen one.

Scoob

If it's any help to you, Imprezas can be fun too. This is a guys WRX wagon from a couple other forums I'm on.

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

Here's the link to his build thread.
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765

Only problem I see with lifting a Subaru is strain on the axles. I've seen a few older Subarus where people put rear ends off of Nissans and Toyotas on, but other than that, I know people had problems with axles breaking when taking them off road. That was with the old ones though (pre-93), never heard of anything like that on the newer models.
And the Outback and Foresters have decent ground clearance stock. They would be fine if you werent doing any major off roading. But as someone said before, the power distribution is something like 90% front 10% rear. But I think I read somewhere that it's only when driving normally, and when it senses spinning from the rear wheels, it sends power to the wheel that is slipping. Youtube has some videos showing the Subaru AWD system going up against other cars, and it seems to do great.

And I believe the head gasket problem was more with the older 2.2 motor, and not as much with the 2.5 (though it did still happen from time to time).

I'll stop typing now, hope I helped you some. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

isaac

Observer
My wife Jenny and I are here at the Overland Expo this weekend with our new Forester XT. We just got the car two weeks ago and are 12 days into a meandering cross-country drive from Boston to San Fran (via Alabama and Prescott, Arizona).

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...514343,-109.313965&spn=45.28269,81.914063&z=4

Drop me an email at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX if you want to connect this weekend, and talk (any and) All Things Subaru or call XXXXXXXXXX cell.

- Isaac

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1