Suburban vs 99 f250? new here

shock

Observer
I everyone new here just been lurking and planing. I own a 1999 f250 ex cab 4x4 diesel with 272k on it. I have a chance to get a 95 suburban 6in lift new tires roof rack 10k winch 454 auto with 89k on it. I am planing a daily driver and the camping and expoing with wife and 6 year old and dog. I am looking for opions on the advantges and disadvantages of the two besides fuel mileage. Are the trucks better for or the burb for the room? Does anyone have either and if you do what are the thoughts? I am leaning toward the burb for room and all the extras and lower mileage as my diesel has 272 on it. Thanks Forany input

Chili

Explorer
I was really close to pulling the trigger on a 99 Suburban with the intention of putting a 6" lift on it. I ultimately chose to keep my Bronco because it will be a much more capable vehicle off road (wheel base, approach and descent, turning radius). As far as what is best for you, it just depends on what you want. The F250 is probably going to be better off road but the Suburban has more interior space (passenger and cargo you want to keep out of the elements). You can make either work, you just need to look at what suits you best.

Of course the engine reliability, mileage, MPG are also factors. Also towing and hauling capacity.

This is one one of those decisions that would probably be best made by jotting down a list of pros and cons for each. Then decide which are going to be deal breakers.

shock

Observer
Thanks chilli i have done that and i own the f250 now. It has the high mile but diesel. The burb is 89k and has the room. I just am stuck in the fact of useful off roading of a burb? the f250 is expensive to fix thats a fact if you break it. I just woundered what the suburban is like as a off rood expo vechical.

poriggity

Explorer
Personally, if I had the choice, I'd go with the suburban, but my needs and wants may be different than yours. That being said, I have a Dodge Quad Cab Long bed, so that's what I'm using.
Scott

shock

Observer
I have the f250 now and i am very seriously leaning in trading for the suburban. I like the room idea. How are they on trails and camping. I know the diesel stuff well the gas area on these not up to speed.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Personally, I think you'll regret giving up a 7.3 diesel for a 454. The fuel consumption hit will be dramatic. Throw a truck canopy on the super duty and you'll have more covered space than the 'Burb, unless of course you need to transport more than 6 people. I have a super duty crew and the interior space is huge. Also, the super duty has a solid front axle and I doubt that the GM does.

swampjeep

Personally, I think you'll regret giving up a 7.3 diesel for a 454. The fuel consumption hit will be dramatic. Throw a truck canopy on the super duty and you'll have more covered space than the 'Burb, unless of course you need to transport more than 6 people. I have a super duty crew and the interior space is huge. Also, the super duty has a solid front axle and I doubt that the GM does.

I was thinking the same things, definate fuel economy loss, probably power too with a 93 454, and weeker front axle for sure. maybe a toper or even a slide in truck camper for the camping comforts.

Terrainist

Explorer
x3 on your fuel mileage hit being dramatic. That would be the deal breaker right there. If you paid $200 dollars to go on a trip before, it would be at least $400 with the Burb. AT LEAST double, figure that. $500 before, AT LEAST $1000 now. I know you said besides the fuel mileage in your OP, but that is everything -- unless you are rich.

I drive an extended cab long bed diesel Dodge, roughly the same footprint as your diesel. Your Ford will go anywhere the Burb will go. Take it out and use it, see if you are left wanting. Take care of the maintenance on your diesel and then some. My truck has 300 grand in mileage, runs like a top. Keep the fuel pump and injectors running right, lubbed and clean with a good additive. Air filter, hoses, oil changes, coolant, etc. That 7.3 Powerstroke is gold (I've owned one of those as well). As routine they go 500 thousand, met a few owners with that kind of miles on them. Take care of it, it will take care of you. Don't overlook the transmission. Keep it running on good fluid, cool, etc.

Keep the Ford. Use it and see what's up. Maybe there is some allure with the burb.. the big tires and lift, winch. But the Ford will do it all. Get a booster seat for the kid in the extended cab so he can see, a pillow for the dog to sit on so he/she is happy. Put a topper on it or get a cheap camper, then get out there. You will have more room with the truck, not in the cabin obviously. But once the Burb is loaded the truck would have had more room. And all around, the Ford will be cheaper to keep and use by a mile. And if it does break something, get it fixed and you know you won't have to worry about it ever again. Sorry to ramble, but the Ford is the keeper.... by a mile.

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
I had a 99 SD, supercab, shortbed....

I severely regret getting rid of it....

I love my Cummins, dont get me wrong... BUT, the superduty was a far superior truck....

Chase

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Keep the Ford, it is a better vehicle all the way around. It's always cheaper to keep what you have.

Jack

lllateralus

Observer
Another vote for keeping the 7.3 Superduty.
I would (and might, with my own) put an older truck bed camper on it and hit the road.

The Ford with its awesome Power Stroke 7.3, and solid front axle is a true workhorse and I would take pride in it. Keep it alive and well with good maintenance, and it will keep running and working for you and your family.

They don't make them like the 7.3 Power Stroke, and old Cummins 5.9 anymore.
Hang on to it. Dont trade it for some run of the mill early 90's Chevy.

(mileage, longevity, POWER, turbo-diesel sound... these are just no brainers)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1