SUV pop top manufacturers in US & Canada

wanderingadept

Hi...

I just quit work and sold my house to travel.

I am heading to India for a year and will be travelling by Jeep. When I get back though, I would like to try and lay hands on an SUV based vehicle. For cost reasons I will probably base it off a lightly used Jeep Grand Cherokee or Toyota 4Runner...there seems to be lots of these localy and they are reasonably robust while still good for long stretches of good road.

Now, I keep seeing pictures like the one below with "pop tops" to give headroom when camping. I am having trouble finding manufacturers though. Can anyone make a suggestion?

It might just be a case of knowing the right name for the camper type and I can do my own research...

Alternately, what about a lightweight permenant roof extension in the same vein as the "Leer" lids that are ubiquitous on pick ups except actually fixed to the vehicle walls. Is this done?

Thanks for the time.

Russ

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Here is one to fit a Jeep Wrangler:
main.php

I think you can see the website in the background, but here is the link, but I don't think they are on sale yet:
http://www.aev-conversions.com/

And another to fit a Honda Element:
waterside.JPG

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/
Good luck on your trip!
Cheers
Mark

ps the one in your pic looks like an innovation camper from germany
titel.jpg

http://www.innovation-campers.de

T.Low

Expedition Leader
The only ones I know of are for Astro vans.

Both in Canada. This one in Quebec.
http://www.parnado.com/serie_s/sx/indexeng.html

There is also one in Vancouver, but seem to only use GTRV as the sales rep, based out of Northern California. His email:

Michael Reed <gtrv@sbcglobal.net>

The prices range from $6,000 to $7500 or so.

I also checked with Sportsmobile this last summer, and at that point they only did full size vans.

Good luck. And happy trails in India.

wanderingadept

Strange

Thanks folks..

Seems strange there are not more manufacturers...I would have thought this would be a relatively popular solution as it maintains a low key appearance and provides access from the inside of the vehicle. Funny they chose the element. That is a vehicle I have not researched as it always seemed more of a cute ute than a strong expedition vehicle. I will look it up.

Thanks for the tent link...They are definitely a good back up option. Sure is nice to have access from inside the vehicle though!

Russ

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Russ, you might want to (if you haven't already) look into getting an imported Toyota Landcruiser, and get a fold-out roof tent for it.
No, they don't have access from the inside of the vehicle, but for one of two people they are pretty roomy.
For the Landcruiser, we can get them in Canada as long as they are 15+ years old. There are plenty of importers, and some that you should look out for. Take a look over on ih8mud.com and do a bit of research. There are a couple of guys that are reliable importers and sell quality vehicles that participate on their forums. Price on the LC's seem to range from high teens, to around $25,000 for the low km ones. I've seen some as low as 40,000 km on them!

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
wanderingadept said:
Thanks folks..

Seems strange there are not more manufacturers...I would have thought this would be a relatively popular solution as it maintains a low key appearance and provides access from the inside of the vehicle. Funny they chose the element. That is a vehicle I have not researched as it always seemed more of a cute ute than a strong expedition vehicle. I will look it up.

Thanks for the tent link...They are definitely a good back up option. Sure is nice to have access from inside the vehicle though!

Russ

You might want to touch base with van conversion companies that offer pop-top vans like Sportsmobile. They likely source them from a supplier and that maybe your source.

If you find any good info, post it here.

Jim

offroadsubie

Observer
old post but what the heck! there's two manufacturer here in quebec who do conversion van based on gm's savana fullsize vans. the first one is the same that someone posted before me(the one based on astro vans) i saw them in person when i was thinking of buying one. they start at 45-50$can. with up to 20year financing like the big rv's. great quality product and very friendly salesmans. from v-6 to v-8 and even duramax diesel and awd but no 4x4. they got an home made roof rack that slides back and down so you can unload kayaks, roof box,etc... www.safaricondo.com

the other one is pretty much the same concept just a competitor but in a less luxurious style, more adventurous,sporty style. i prefered this company as they have a model where you can take off the rear bench and use it for cargo and still sleep upstair like in a westfalia. unfortunetly their website appears to be in french only. www.new-west.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1