Swiss Military Off Road Trailer Build

DMill556

Observer
Yea the rear stabilizers have a stop on it, but it cant go any higher or it will hit the tube and tail gate latch. If I cut the top off it will shorten the length of the stabilizers and they wont reach the ground. I'm thinking about cutting them in half and welding a sleeve on one end with a pin in it to attach them together. That way half of the stabilizer will be in the mount and be flush and not hanging down and the other half I can store in the trailer. Any ideas or inputs?

indiedog

Adventurer
How about some telescoping stabilisers for the rear? Outer tube diameter to match existing and inner extenders to add length. Pin inners in place (both up and down) to outers with a lynch pin.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Yea the rear stabilizers have a stop on it, but it cant go any higher or it will hit the tube and tail gate latch. If I cut the top off it will shorten the length of the stabilizers and they wont reach the ground. I'm thinking about cutting them in half and welding a sleeve on one end with a pin in it to attach them together. That way half of the stabilizer will be in the mount and be flush and not hanging down and the other half I can store in the trailer. Any ideas or inputs?

This is what I was thinking... maybe extend them a bit due to the larger tires... or how about cutting them & welding in an ACME nut on the mounted section, then add a section of ACME thread to the removed section... this shortens it & allows for some adjust-ability being able to thread it in & out... not fast, but flexible ... congrats. on the very clean trailer...

DMill556

Observer
I finally started working on the trailer, between work, family, and the holidays I haven't had much time. I went to county fried weekend in Suches Ga a few weeks ago and after seeing some great camping setups it motivated me to start on my trailer.

I picked up a Mombasa RTT from 97tjguzzy, Its in great shape and its a really nice tent.

I decided to copy box rockets rack idea for the RTT http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23624-Box-Rocket-Homemade-trailer-build/page21

Here's the rack cut and being installed

DMill556

Observer
I finished the rack and put the wheel adapters on. I got the jeep wheels and a used set of tires put on. Im going to put new tires on the trailer when I finish the build.

DMill556

Observer
Started framing the fenders and steps, Im hoping to have the trailer ready for camping in the spring

I laid a piece of tubing to show the angle of the fenders, I hope I left enough space for a new set of tires. It was hard to measure the spacing I needed for clearance.

DMill556

Observer
I need some opinions on the color of the trailer, should I paint it black and silver to match the jeep or go with a desert tan to keep it original and military looking. After seeing mep1811's tan trailer Im really liking the desert tan military look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1