Syncro Vs. Sportsmobile

Accrete

Explorer
your comment above on researching repair/tech shops for whatever rig you get is worth big$$.

My wife and i finally gave up on the Volvo XC70 for a rig as we got tired of having to drive 100 miles to the nearest dealership/repair shop. Having something that local shops can work on is now so important to us. Hence the reason we purchased a popular US based product. It was also a prime part of our decision to purchase yet another Toyota product when we got the TACO.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
As far was cool factor goes, I get plenty of compliments in my lifted 2wd, wannabe 4x4 Ford. Apparently some others share my taste. Of course if I park it at Mountain Equipment Co Op or at the Vegan Cafe in Tofino I'll probably get a different response. I had 3 Type 1s and really like the idea of the Westy, Syncro or not, but I have very little patience for vehicles that don't perform as intended. It seems that at least in the drive train the Vanagons never did perform as intended even when new. So you need an engine from a Focus or Subaru, a transmission from somebody in Oregon and a de coupler from South Africa, or you could just turn the key in your Ford and drive.

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
Split the difference, get an Astro AWD! :jumping:

Or a GTRV Toyota AWD Sienna....totally stealth, can barely tell it is a camper when the roof is closed....now only if they made made suspension kits for them.:ylsmoke:

1.jpg

6.jpg

Now only if Toyota would bring the Euro HiAce over to our shores...get the Syncro small size with Toyota reliability.

eurotrip_39.jpg

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Now only if Toyota would bring the Euro HiAce over to our shores...get the Syncro small size with Toyota reliability.

eurotrip_39.jpg

That looks real good. But by the time they bring it over here, my family will have grown into the need for an SMB.

And can Toyota still make the claim of having Toyota reliability?:ylsmoke:

BajaBus

Adventurer
Or a GTRV Toyota AWD Sienna....totally stealth, can barely tell it is a camper when the roof is closed....now only if they made made suspension kits for them.:ylsmoke:

1.jpg

6.jpg

eurotrip_39.jpg

I'm trying to understand this concept. Maybe I'm just dense or you're kidding? Maybe that Sienna would be a good trailer to drag behind for a couple of the kids to sleep in? Well, maybe one kid anyway. I mean, why not go all the way and make a Kia Optima into a camper? Or a Nissan Cube? Nothing from Toyota would be reliable where I want to go.

Patman

Explorer
I think the Sienna would be good for your average dirt covered parking lot. The HiAce definitely could be a great rig, especially with the diesel and a poptop.

Toyota's reliability is light years ahead of a 20 year old Syncro.

But none of them can compare to an SMB type rig, if you need the size and the drivetrain reliability of a 1 ton truck.

Wish there was an FC version.

BajaBus

Adventurer
I love the Hiace (though the ones I've rented in the Yucatan and Riviera Maya look different than above.) But it's extremely underpowered for anything other than moving 6-8 people around on asphalt roads in excellent condition. I mean choosing a Hiace for what we do is like choosing a SMB for an around-town parts delivery vehicle. It makes no sense - to me at least. Reliability? I'd say Ford vans are extremely reliable. And I'll take a '12 Ford Fusion over anything Toyota produces for reliability. Toyota reliability is so 1980s. In the year 2011, it's a complete falacy.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm trying to understand this concept. Maybe I'm just dense or you're kidding? Maybe that Sienna would be a good trailer to drag behind for a couple of the kids to sleep in? Well, maybe one kid anyway. I mean, why not go all the way and make a Kia Optima into a camper? Or a Nissan Cube? Nothing from Toyota would be reliable where I want to go.

Thats you, some of us don't need a built 4 x 4 vehicle to enjoy the out doors

RR1

Explorer

I mean choosing a Hiace for what we do is like choosing a SMB for an around-town parts delivery vehicle. It makes no sense - to me at least.

Everyone has different lifestyles, read on below. And hey some people don't need a huge 4WD van. There are some build quality issues with Sportsmobile that would shy me away. While not a van...an ICON FJ44 would get my money over a Sportsmobile-that makes the most sense to me. Build quality is at a savant level of perfection, more capable, and Hell just plain cooler! Throw on a RTT and call it good! Of course I would have the TLC boys throw in a Toyota Tundra 5.7 motor over the Cheby, so it would be super reliable!

FJ44_f1.jpg

The Sienna is just another option, decent gas mileage...be ok for graded dirt roads, as people camp out of cars, really not that much different, just bigger. Not that I would buy a Sienna, it would pull a lightweight 3 rail moto trailer, I do most of my hardcore exploring via 2 wheels...because 4 wheels (especially a camper!) isn't fast enough for me....and trust me I like to go fast! I just use a camper to haul toys, supplies, gear and to be a base camp...as campers, even the 4WD ones, are rather boring for anything else. They really aren't all that fun trying to pound whoops at high speed in Baja...

Nothing from Toyota is reliable enough for you, you're kidding right!? Usually a 4WD van isn't the first choice in rock crawling and desert running, plenty of Yota's are out there tho'! A Toyota can't get you where you want to go!? That is funny! I have had a total of three...all had 250K miles on them and still were in excellent running condition when I sold them, none of them had any major issues...my current Yoda has 244K miles on her...still going strong. I don't know if I could say the same as a Ford with a 6.0....couldn't give me one of those.

The Mrs...said to me the other day, she wished Toyota had a decent sized van here (that Sienna won't work for us), would like a van to haul our downhill longboard skateboards (read: hauling gear and a place to sleep) as we don't trust anything from the big American 3 to spend our money on. I have rented and test drove all of them Ford, Chevy, Dodge are lack luster IMO. Trust me I would love to buy American, nothing...and I mean nothing new from the Big 3 excites me. I would have to go backwards...like 60's or 70's to get what I want and it up build it myself. Well that ICON is American made, that would work!

The Euro spec Hi Ace would be a great replacement for our current VW Westy, or a 4WD VW T5.

eurotrip_39.jpg

366278422_957aa0fab8.jpg

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Any of you actually seen a pop top Sienna? A guy in town has one and I have seen the GTRV rally. That is a prety small interior. Price wise, it certainly didn't penicil out for me, nor make sense, but to each his own.

The T5 has some very nice features and looks awesome, but VW has too many quirky reliability issues. And if they were avaliable here, the price would be way too high.

The Hi Ace looks intriqueing. You couldn't pry my Astro from my grip, but if I were in the market, I'd look at it. (The Astro has surpassed all of our expectations, serves our wide variety of needs and preferences, has been troouble free since our purchase 45,000 miles ago.)

RR1

Explorer
Any of you actually seen a pop top Sienna? A guy in town has one and I have seen the GTRV rally. That is a prety small interior. Price wise, it certainly didn't penicil out for me, nor make sense, but to each his own.

The T5 has some very nice features and looks awesome, but VW has too many quirky reliability issues. And if they were avaliable here, the price would be way too high.

The Hi Ace looks intriqueing. You couldn't pry my Astro from my grip, but if I were in the market, I'd look at it. (The Astro has surpassed all of our expectations, serves our wide variety of needs and preferences, has been troouble free since our purchase 45,000 miles ago.)

Yeah there isn't anything on the new van American market that excites us, that Euro HiAce is about the only thing that peaks my interest, alas can't get them here, and pretty happy with our current Westy even if it is underpowered. (I have a 4WD truck as well so...that gets picked for the long haul trips) No way would I personally do a minivan like a Sienna LOL, just showing "other" options. I don't trust modern VW's...(just showing options in the rest of the world) We might go with a bigger pickup and a trailer, a Tundra most likely and an enclosed trailer....this is the only thing that is pretty darn close to fit our needs, really need a base camp and a chase truck. Still don't know...might be too big. I used to drive heavy trucks/equipment for living, trying to go small as I can now. May just pick up an old FJ60 and a rooftop tent, and stay with my 3 rail trailer, that or throw a Suby motor in the Westy as it is an underpowered turd....My Indian name would be "Manwhochangesmindoften" LOL, my true passion is moto anyway...maybe I should buy yet another bike for the quiver, a 690R KTM or 950 Super Enduro would be a nice addition to the other KTM's we have....

http://www.vrvtoyhauler.com/

2236436520093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

1sweetvan

Adventurer
250,000 miles is nothing to sneeze at, but there is no shortage of Ford or Cheby vans and trucks out there that have accomplished that and much more. I doubt an American V8 is any less reliable than a Euro or Jap motor.

RR1

Explorer
250,000 miles is nothing to sneeze at, but there is no shortage of Ford or Cheby vans and trucks out there that have accomplished that and much more. I doubt an American V8 is any less reliable than a Euro or Jap motor.

I am sure they will and do...maybe not the Ford 6.0 diesel though...:ylsmoke:

New American vehicles just don't "do it" for me...hardly anything available new from any of the manufactures is very exciting. I almost gave up my Toyota...nothing that I test drove impressed me, heck you'll be hard pressed to find a truck with a manual transmission anymore. I keep on toying with buying an older vehicle...almost came home with a 84 Toyota FJ60 the other day...

The old American vehicles...now your talking. Throw in a new Vortec LS motor and NV4500 tranny...coil over link suspension

...and everything will be ok.

ch1968suburban14935735m.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp