Taking delivery of my '14 pro-4x tomorrow

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Welcome to the family, you lucky man, you. You made a great choice. I personally think that Nissan just does it better than Toyota so much of the time (did someone say GT-R?), but Toyotas are sort of an elitist thing, so they can charge exorbitant amounts of money for them.

You'll be surprised how much it will do in stock form. Really capable machines right out of the box. Sounds like you're already scheming. I know I would!

Pictures!

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming! Im tracking in that breather mod. Ill get on that...what exactly is the point of it?

Rtt/intake/snorkel/spark info?

Thanks again

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming! Im tracking in that breather mod. Ill get on that...what exactly is the point of it?

Rtt/intake/snorkel/spark info?

Thanks again

Water in the diff fluid is bad, the higher the breather the less chance of water getting into it is. Most re run the line up into the top of the rear tail light (that is where mine is).

At that point, if the water is higher than your tail light then you have more important things to worry about then some water in your diff.

Just allows some more piece of mine/safety when doing water crossings

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have been looking at the 4Runner TE for a while and love the look of them but cant come to pay 40k for a new one or 30k for a used one. Since you test drove both of them...what were the reasons other than price and what you mentioned for not going with the TE?

I have been meaning to test drive both for my own opinion but havent had the time. Enjoy it!

D

BuffaloFunk

Observer
I have been looking at the 4Runner TE for a while and love the look of them but cant come to pay 40k for a new one or 30k for a used one. Since you test drove both of them...what were the reasons other than price and what you mentioned for not going with the TE?

I have been meaning to test drive both for my own opinion but havent had the time. Enjoy it!

D
I didn't test drive a TE, but I did have a '13 4Runner SR5 for a rental. There were things I loved about it and things I hated. Here is a quick run down from what I can remember

Good:
-Rear window goes up and down
-Pretty comfy seats (it was ~18 hours of driving in one day and I didn't complain until about 16 hours in)
-Stereo functionality and sound - I really liked the programming of the favorites. It wasn't set to things like FM1, FM2, AM1, AM2, XM1, XM2. There were just favorites, so I could program a XM stations in all the slots since I was travelings so far.
- Ergonomics - Everything was pretty laid out and easy to learn

Bad:
- The rear wheels liked to hop over expansion joints and train tracks. It was very noticeable
- Interior wasn't up to snuff for the price tag. Yeah, it was a rental, but the Xterra was far less expensive for a marginally "worse" interior (the dash is a bit plasticky, but sold). It was nice, but not 10k+ nicer than the Xterra.
- Loud
- Numb steering that was super light
- The price tag

Shortly after that I test drove a Xterra. The Xterra had a 10x better ride and was much cheaper for a lot more features. The only things the Xterra does worse I would say are getting in and out of the back seats (the doors are a bit narrow on the bottom), the back window doesn't open, the center armrest up front is a bit of a joke, and the dashboard is hard plastic. Also, the Xterra felt a bit more peppy.

With the Pro-4X package, you get a locking rear diff, Rockford Fosgate stereo system, navigation, bluetooth and other goodies for a price that won't even get you in a base model 2WD 4Runner.

KiwiKurt

Explorer

D

The xterra honestly felt more solid over all...idk how to describe it just more 'sturdy'. I think it also road better over all. The 4runner dash felt a little more plush, and the rear window is a nice touch. Other than that the xterra infotainment system seemed a lot better, the rockford sound system infinitely better, and the leather package was nicer. I also like the interior and gauge lighting on the x better.

Beyond that, it came down to the fact it was over 10k cheaper. If they were same price I might have gone runner for the size, but I didnt experience anything in the 4runner that I liked better than the x, and nothing that justified a price increase...lots of things I liked better about the x tho. Only 2 things I wish the x had was a roll down rear window and a ac power pkug or 2.

jhughes3281

Observer
Congrats - and you can't go wrong with an X. One nice thing about TheNewX forum is that their for sale section is pretty active so you can find some decent parts over there at a decent price. Their CA section is pretty slow and there are not may runs, but not all are about rock crawling over there. I think the rock crawlers are just the most active, but I agree with you that this is the place for expo info.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Buffalofunk and Kiwikurt,

Thanks for the replys...Ill have to check one out!!

Kiwi-post up some pics when you get it!!

D

skibum315

Explorer
The SCCX guys get out quite a bit ... just don't post about it on TheNewX all that often, I think they announce runs more on their own page. In NorCal, there's some guys out in the Bay Area (and even further north) who get out and about in the mid-Sierra a fair amount; seems like they're a bit more loosely organized and tend to put together runs on TheNewX.

Congrats on the truck, and definitely don't give up on that forum ... we need more 'real' people over there (who think things through and do what works best for their own M.O. rather than just going down the path 'everyone' says they're 'supposed to' - I'm not articulating that very well, but hopefully it's enough) ... I post there under the same name; and while the crawlers are vocal, it's not where everyone wants to focus. The two aren't mutually exclusive, either ... ;)

jhughes3281

Observer
^ I am over there too under the same SN, and although I have not met anyone in person, there are some good people onboard.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Ill be in the bay area shortly. ..sorry for the bad pic. It was pretty late when I finally made it to the dealer to pick it up. Ill do more soon.

Got to drive it about 100mi today. Drives/rides great. Really quiet on the road and the rockford fosgate is fantastic. The hands free system is clear....you can actually understand what the person you called actually says. Sync the bluetooth, hit the voice command button on the steering wheel, and tell the truck to call so and so, and boom. Really nice.

Really happy with it. Going to drive it for a while and see if there are any kinks/new car gremlins for the dealer to work out then trek it cross country.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386651021543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386651021543.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 46

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Thanks. I was nervous about the new wheels from pictures but they look great in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1