Talk to me about insulated canvas

foxintheforest

For those of you with 360-pop-tops (maybe 1-2ft of canvas) do you think insulated canvas is necessary or a nice to have? We DO NOT winter camp, but do our fair share of shoulder season action in the American SW, CO, WY. Temps can dip below freezing overnight. We’ve camped in a variety of conditions but would stay home with lots of snow in the forecast (dusting are fine).
Do you find the insulated canvas to be hotter in the summer? (No AC)
Does it really do a ton to save on propane if you’ve got overnight temps near or just below freezing? Or is it more peace of mind/nice to have?
Curious about the pros and cons as we weigh our upgrade options.
We currently have a tented pop up for reference, so we are curious about the transition to something more hard sided. We are used to burning propane at night with something much more open than a pop top so managing that isn’t anything new to us.
I’m leaning towards not needing it cuz winter camping isn’t our thing, but curious to hear what you think!

ifly4vamerica

Hiya Fox, I was able to see an Arkto and was amazed at the heat the insulated kept out. We opened the windows on the canvas and the outer side of the canvas was almost to hot to touch, the inside was cool. It will definitely help keep the heat out. That particular trailer was parked in direct sun (it was 92 that day) , when we got there just the roof fan was on and the inside was quite comfortable. I was also told by the owner it keeps the inside much nicer in cooler temps since the bed is basically surrounded by the canvas. No more bumping into cold canvas in the night. Also on the plus side was that there was noticeably less condensation in cooler temps. Most of this was of course all gathered from speaking with owners. I didn't speak with one that wished they hadn't gotten that upgrade. The only downside anybody mentioned was how dark inside the trailer was with the insulated, but that was remedied to some extent by opening the windows of course. The trailer we looked at was very dark inside without the windows open.

tirod3

Obviously, any insulation can be better than none. Backpackers cant tolerate the bulk of insulation, they use double wall tents. In the military they were "artic liners", put up inside. They worked well in summer knocking down radiant heat from dark canvas, too. Good ventilation still required, a tent with insulation works both ways to our benefit, whether batting or air gap.

Stowing an insulated popup will take more judicious folding, as if they dont already. Propane does create moisture, if its not an issue great. Might consider a diesel parking heater as its dry and runs less fuel, but needs 12v for a fan.

Is it possible to fit insulated panels inside for the nite, with 2x more in the roof? Transportation and attachment would need some expedient engineering, but you could create your own "artic liner."

montechie

We have an OVRLND vertical pop-up with an add-on liner, similar to what FWC has. We actually use it most in the winter and summer. Besides trapping heat for colder temps decently, it really makes a big difference when you can't avoid direct sunlight. So much more comfortable working in our camper in the summer with the insulative layer up. For colder temps it works great to run a space heater a bit before bed, and the walls traps the heat longer. We winter camp in Montana and haven't bothered adding a full-time heater yet. Eventually we will, but hasn't felt like a priority.

I think for your purposes it’s not necessary although it would be nice. Our standard canvas in a Boreas is fine for shoulder season. The truma heater is whisper quiet though which is probably more important in my mind than the insulation because if you have canvas that heater is turning on. Propane usage never has been an issue though.

K9LTW

So...couple valid points have been touched on. I got the insulation in ours AND we have an OVRLND on our truck like @montechie with the insulation.

TL;DR...get the insulation.

You're not winter camping, but those longer, cold nights will bleed any heat through the vinyl and you'll really have to battle condensation. The coldest we've been out thus far was 30 degrees, but we'll, for sure, be out in the teens and 20s. All we did was vent the fan on exhaust at 20% and had zero condensation with two people, two dogs, and the heat on.

As a couple folks mentioned, insulation isn't just to hold heat IN but to keep it OUT. The OVRLND's insulation is far thinner and meant to be removable. Well...I just leave it in 24/7/365 as that vinyl gets blisteringly hot in direct sun. Seriously...I'd be concerned that a kiddo could burn themselves. I do love to pull the OVRLND's insulation up loosely over an open window to filter direct sun. The insulation on the Arkto is far thicker, however, and would block the sun a lot more and can't really be put up "loose" as it's zipped in.

Something I don't think was mentioned was the sound insulation it provides as well. It's outright QUIET with everything zipped up. Just ask Aaron. We were only about 50 feet apart while I was moaning, crying out, and cussing in agony with kidney stones and he didn't hear a peep. 🤣😂

Unlike what @tirod3 said, however, there are ZERO issues with collapsing the roof. Just another incredible upgrade the Arkto crew made when they sewed the bent stays into the fabric. There's no pushing in of vinyl (like I have to do on my OVRLND at times). No running around checking the corners as the top comes down. Just drop it and go.

Will you regret not having it? I mean...hard to say. You don't know what you're missing until you're missing it. But I'm telling you...you'll miss it ;)

foxintheforest

So...couple valid points have been touched on. I got the insulation in ours AND we have an OVRLND on our truck like @montechie with the insulation.

TL;DR...get the insulation.

You're not winter camping, but those longer, cold nights will bleed any heat through the vinyl and you'll really have to battle condensation. The coldest we've been out thus far was 30 degrees, but we'll, for sure, be out in the teens and 20s. All we did was vent the fan on exhaust at 20% and had zero condensation with two people, two dogs, and the heat on.

As a couple folks mentioned, insulation isn't just to hold heat IN but to keep it OUT. The OVRLND's insulation is far thinner and meant to be removable. Well...I just leave it in 24/7/365 as that vinyl gets blisteringly hot in direct sun. Seriously...I'd be concerned that a kiddo could burn themselves. I do love to pull the OVRLND's insulation up loosely over an open window to filter direct sun. The insulation on the Arkto is far thicker, however, and would block the sun a lot more and can't really be put up "loose" as it's zipped in.

Something I don't think was mentioned was the sound insulation it provides as well. It's outright QUIET with everything zipped up. Just ask Aaron. We were only about 50 feet apart while I was moaning, crying out, and cussing in agony with kidney stones and he didn't hear a peep. 🤣😂

Unlike what @tirod3 said, however, there are ZERO issues with collapsing the roof. Just another incredible upgrade the Arkto crew made when they sewed the bent stays into the fabric. There's no pushing in of vinyl (like I have to do on my OVRLND at times). No running around checking the corners as the top comes down. Just drop it and go.

Will you regret not having it? I mean...hard to say. You don't know what you're missing until you're missing it. But I'm telling you...you'll miss it ;)
I really never thought of the sound thing...that's a GREAT point!

foxintheforest

Hiya Fox, I was able to see an Arkto and was amazed at the heat the insulated kept out. We opened the windows on the canvas and the outer side of the canvas was almost to hot to touch, the inside was cool. It will definitely help keep the heat out. That particular trailer was parked in direct sun (it was 92 that day) , when we got there just the roof fan was on and the inside was quite comfortable. I was also told by the owner it keeps the inside much nicer in cooler temps since the bed is basically surrounded by the canvas. No more bumping into cold canvas in the night. Also on the plus side was that there was noticeably less condensation in cooler temps. Most of this was of course all gathered from speaking with owners. I didn't speak with one that wished they hadn't gotten that upgrade. The only downside anybody mentioned was how dark inside the trailer was with the insulated, but that was remedied to some extent by opening the windows of course. The trailer we looked at was very dark inside without the windows open.
Interesting - the one we just saw had insulated canvas in similar conditions and I thought it was so effing hot in there lol. Coming from a pop up though, the airflow is just different in a hard-sided and in all fairness we didn't have the fan on. Thanks for all of your help!

EPO

I slept in the Arkto at a busy truck stop with semi's all around once and didn't hear a thing all night. Really appreciated the insulated canvas then and also during many chilly nights at elevation in CO, WY and MT.

rehammer81

I have a Boreas EOS-12. Slightly less canvas height all the way around then the Arktos I believe. If I had the option for insulated canvas I would. It's not a necessity but will be better in both hot and cold conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1