The AR-15

Scott Brady

Founder
So many internet tough guys in this thread. :rolleyes:

It is sad, really.

The gun tough guy is no different than the Jeep tough guy (or insert brand x).

The guy who will fight tooth and nail that his brand of truck is the best has never traveled anywhere- guaranteed. The more people travel or drive off-highway, the more they realize that brand is only a preference, not a requirement. The skills translate and every vehicle has its strengths. I lost count of the number of guys with fully built 80 Series that have never left California. The Mojave Road is their "expedition". These guys are clueless and the first to bash someone else's vehicle choice.

The same goes with guns. The guy that argues the AK is the best gun EVA! has certainly never been in combat and I can promise they spent more time shooting off-handed at paper targets than anything else. It is the ignorant that form quick judgements. Nearly every gun has its strengths, and I enjoy shooting a SCAR as much as an AR, as much as an AK, as much as an HK93.

It is insecurity they are displaying. Insecurity is always a tell for lack of experience. . .

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Four years active duty worked out ok for me. . . One of the best decisions I made was to serve.

Agreed. My military service has done more for me than anything else in my life, and I am extremely proud of it and the people I have served with. I was, without question, substantially changed having enlisted. I wouldn't trade the experiences I have had for the world. From being balls deep in the suck, to standing on the back ramp of a c17 at 17000 ft over the desert breathing through an o2 mask waiting for green light, to pulling sniper coverage for the Pope, I've had one hell of a wild ride that can't be bought anywhere.

It is sad, really.

The guy who will fight tooth and nail that his brand of truck is the best has never traveled anywhere- guaranteed. The more people travel or drive off-highway, the more they realize that brand is only a preference, not a requirement. The skills translate and every vehicle has its strengths. I lost count of the number of guys with fully built 80 Series that have never left California. The Mojave Road is their "expedition". These guys are clueless and the first to bash someone else's vehicle choice.

The same goes with guns. The guy that argues the AK is the best gun EVA! has certainly never been in combat and I can promise they spent more time shooting off-handed at paper targets than anything else. It is the ignorant that form quick judgements. Nearly every gun has its strengths, and I enjoy shooting a SCAR as much as an AR, as much as an AK, as much as an HK93.

It is insecurity they are displaying. Insecurity is always a tell for lack of experience. . .

agreed. On a lighter subject, I get a lot of chuckles out of seeing people react to where my little nissan xterra gets me ;)

CodyY

Explorer
4d55eeeac0cb766de7d704e12e56b9d0.jpg

3c0b80cc1b3775f4bb994f9b1610052c.jpg

Tack driver.

On a lighter note, I ordered a super lightweight 14.5" DD barrel for the next build.

Ray_G

Explorer
Rad! Yeah, get a can on it. Also, how does that light handle the close proximity to the compensator? I smoked a Surefire lens being to close to the muzzle blast.

Also, any details on the "accessories" attached to the buffer tube?

The light has done well for the amount of rounds thus far-which isn't many, I think when I come home and run it through a few days I may throw an old surefire on to mimic ergonomics and save the Cree bulb in that one.

The brace on the buffer tube is the shockwave version, I'd run the sig first and then done the thordson buffer cover/side saddle but prefer the little shockwave to keep it legally pistol (my main reason is to be able to cross state lines under my ccw). No reason to get into the ATF opinion letter stuff here but I'm not stressing on that all that much.
R-
Ray

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I like brand x and y, fruit of the loom and jockey. Oh and hanes, can't forget them.

Thinking about a ar pistol and a 5.7 upper. I haven't seen one but does anyone make a 22 mag upper or conversion?

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Darksoul

This is my most recent, I Cerakoted it in a new British dispersion camo, it has the Trijicon SRS optic, I like it, but I have a mini ACOG on my 300 Blackout, and that is by far the best optic I have used yet as far as dot optics.

Also posted up a pic of an AR I Cerakoted for a friend in the Stars and Stripes, she loves it.

Ray_G

Explorer
That's a really good paint job, not my taste but excellent work and I can see why she likes it!
(I'm ghetto...coyote brown duracoat is my upper end, most of the time it is just krylon rattle can jobs with a laundry bag and some veg)
r-
Ray

Darksoul

I hear you Ray, it's funny, since I do the Cerakoting (and some gun smithing etc) for a living, all my firearms are sort of showpieces as well, and now that I think about it, I actually don't have a "basic" paint job on any of my guns really. I do have a flock 21 that is "just" two tone, but everything else is some form of camo, but I do a lot of more traditional paint jobs for sure.

smlobx

Wanderer
It is sad, really.

Probably the best post in this thread.
As far as weaponry here's one of my favorites...image.jpg

screwball48

Explorer
^Gonna need a little more info on this (new to AR's here).

Its my el-cheap-o pieced together bubba hacked Dissy. I patiently waited and gathered up as many used parts as possible. As it sits right now starting from the back: Magpul ACS-L stock, Palmetto state armory lower, national match trigger (resembles Rock River Arms), Magpul MOE pistol grip, the upper is a Del-Ton flat top with 16" barrel, the rear sight is a Rock River tactical mount, I cheeped out on the gas block and cut the A-2 front down to fit under the hand guard, the hand guard is a Magpul MOE rifle length, vertical grip is a Magpul RVG, the light is a flea market find surefire mounted to a Magpul MOE rail section, sling is a Magpul MS-1 and is held on with a Magpul MSA MOE on the front and looped through the slot in the stock, for the front sight base I used a CMMG clamp-on base for rimfire/blowback firearms, the front sight is a Daniel Defense rail mounted front sight, and to cap it all off is a Primary Weapons System FSC556. Works plenty good enough for what I intended it for and better than I had hoped. Feel free to ask anything, I will be happy to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design