The Big Meander, Summer 2011

scarysharkface

Explorer
It's not a long drive or technical, but has pretty much all the things that make me want to have a Jeep and dual-sport motorcycle.

i-BCdnbTX-XL.jpg

And before very long at all we're at the top and with a little imagination we might be back in Kansas..

i-fB26QMt-XL.jpg

But we're not, and Colin, being ever the kid, wants to climb that big sand hill across the highway from Arches..

DSC2544-XL.jpg

If it still hadn't been 100 degrees, I might be tempted to give it a go..

i-6xVqGH7-XL.jpg

DSC2549-XL.jpg

Completely fried from the heat and fun, we got a a couple of pizzas at Paradox Pizza (next to the brewery) and called it a night.

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
We were looking forward to a nice breeze overnight to dissipate the heat a bit. What we weren't expecting were high winds and sand being blown into the tent everywhere. It was a very long, sleepless night, and we were all somewhat miserable by daybreak.

At this point, Colin has pretty much sworn-off camping forever. He does however expect us to spend a hundred bucks on a motel so we can run more 4x4 roads.

i-P9MjMHf-XL.jpg

Tracy forces a smile for the camera..

i-c7d32tB-XL.jpg

Tracy and I decide to head North. Colin isn't happy about this. Neither of them wanted to move into the nearby mountains, so instead we jump on I-70 and head West for reasons I can't recall..

After lunch in Green River, we stop at a scenic pullout and enjoy the 108-degree dry heat..

i-dHNk4gf-XL.jpg

i-fxN2kxd-XL.jpg

DSC2555-XL.jpg

i-4DH4jhJ-XL.jpg

i-GQmvXFw-XL.jpg

It was breezy like a blow dryer..

DSC2556-XL.jpg

We decide to head toward the Little Grand Canyon..

i-cTCCvPp-XL.jpg

i-HgQqw7J-XL.jpg

There are so many tracks heading off into the unknown. I'd love to explore them all, but today is not the day for that.

i-MvvHCzz-XL.jpg

There is weather ahead. We've got food and water, and really could wait a couple of days if we became stranded somewhere. The road is exceptional though, so we'll go until it seems like a bad idea to continue. We've got plenty of fuel.

i-dJ54LWG-XL.jpg

And it rains..

i-3pKqDn3-XL.jpg

No worries though, and it's beautiful..

i-bgwJfXf-XL.jpg

i-PKr2zwG-XL.jpg

One day I'll understand how to take rain pictures that show the rain..

i-DzBpdBW-XL.jpg

We stop along the San Rafael River and walk around a bit, but don't take any pictures apparently..

i-8mXwMQ8-XL.jpg

The river is high and flowing fast. There is a campground where Buckhorn Draw Road crosses the river, and it's about 1/3 flooded..

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Not too much farther and there is a marked pull-off for ancient artwork..

i-5nX8dnT-XL.jpg

DSC2567-XL.jpg

DSC2572-XL.jpg

i-ZzMzFSr-XL.jpg

It's amazing that this stuff has survived..

DSC2574-XL.jpg

DSC2580-XL.jpg

We're here for literally just a few minutes enjoying the windbreak along with the art when the gusts pickup enough to start rolling baby-head-sized rocks and larger from the plateau above. Looking up, we make a mad-dash for the Jeep and get away from the wall..

i-VKt5xbv-XL.jpg

Next stop is a campsite just around the bend and up-slope from the road a bit..

i-vDfzBmh-XL.jpg

We get out and grab some snacks. Colin explores a wee bit..

i-JTpSK3W-XL.jpg

Out in the middle of nowhere, Tracy's phone rings and she chats with a sister while we hang out..

i-H7TxKx6-XL.jpg

Even with today's rain, there just isn't a lot of moisture to hold the dirt together..

i-TpGm5L9-XL.jpg

It would be a great spot to stop for the night, but I don't get the hint(s) and we move along. It's still quite early..

i-BxGcbwc-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Whew. It's been a month, and I'm back from this and can get going on this trip report again without so many distractions..

We move along and the sun weaves in and out of the clouds.. Beautiful day, really, now that it's quit raining and the wind has abated, especially with the mild temperatures..

i-Bp37SWJ-XL.jpg

The Wedge Overlook seemed like something worth seeing..

i-BsWwVfq-XL.jpg

It's terrifically difficult to express relationships and scale in a single photograph. Much easier to capture joy of the moment..

i-nW4bwc9-XL.jpg

The road we came in on follows the rim to the right (you drive up to the rim and make a hard left - there is no guardrail and precious little warning). There's nothing much different than everywhere else around to see and then BANG there it is right in front of you. Worth the trip out here, and I bet there's some incredible hiking..

i-wMWrhP5-XL.jpg

i-VjbHM3F-XL.jpg

Perhaps the best part (for us family campers) is that there is a rather nice pit-toilet on-site..

i-bJb88wt-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Within a few miles we're back in the weather..

i-sDQVmt5-XL.jpg

I don't like the looks of that sky..

i-bZ4XqmJ-XL.jpg

Being from Indiana, I find it odd when the presence of cattle indicates we're nearing civilization..

i-Qp4pwcG-XL.jpg

I can't get my head into camping tonight. Last night was just miserable, I'm tired and the prospect of enduring another sleepless night is utterly demoralizing. A couple of "Bates Motel" places we check out want upwards of $75 per night, and they look bad. We head for a road that will take us through the mountains..

Temps come down considerably...

i-78njfWx-XL.jpg

And there's a hint of sunlight ahead..

i-F296wm9-XL.jpg

I can almost feel it..

i-FR7Xftd-XL.jpg

Dropping down into Provo..

i-V2HkDq7-XL.jpg

I don't recall what motel we stayed in, but they had plenty of hot water and a full continental breakfast the next morning. It was cheap, too.

Where to go now?

John

suntinez

Explorer
I'm really enjoying this, thanks! "Honest fences" - love it.

The colors and perspective you're getting on these pics is awesome. I must say I was surprised to see snow in the last set given the previous temps, what time of year were you traveling?

Colin climbed that hill barefoot? :Wow1:

scarysharkface

Explorer
June 30th, and we drive up into the hills..

i-8JRCZpN-XL.jpg

Wet sticky mud, just like home..

i-TmtGBrN-XL.jpg

Let's keep going. See what we can find..

i-txMdPTt-XL.jpg

Climbing up into the Uintas..

i-RCLz5VC-XL.jpg

i-JJw8zvf-XL.jpg

Someone has a sense of humor.. :)

i-XqSxcTj-XL.jpg

Sign said the road was closed, but we headed up into the mountains anyway. Encountered this guy coming back down from clearing the pass. Timing is everything..

i-tzzhKB5-XL.jpg

Lovely country..

i-Hqd84Lv-XL.jpg

But they've had a bug problem..

i-wZGJvtm-XL.jpg

i-vK7CBX9-XL.jpg

i-PK32pww-XL.jpg

John

JamesDowning

Explorer
Really enjoying the trip John! It's interesting to see the different perspectives of a fellow traveler visiting a similar area. Utah seems to offer so much, I think I could spend a month meandering around and not get bored. If only. Looking forward to more!

scarysharkface

Explorer
Really enjoying the trip John! It's interesting to see the different perspectives of a fellow traveler visiting a similar area. Utah seems to offer so much, I think I could spend a month meandering around and not get bored. If only. Looking forward to more!

Understatement of the year. I think one could spend a lifetime there and still not see half the good stuff!

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
DSC2654-XL.jpg

Still not up into the pass yet, but we pull off looking for a spot to grab a snack..

i-G5dGs62-XL.jpg

Pic-a-nic tables come with advice..

i-5dfwwtF-XL.jpg

It's wet everywhere from the snow-melt..

i-McZqVCj-XL.jpg

The streams are flowing heavily..

i-B6tmQRg-XL.jpg

We play a bit in the snow, and take pictures..

i-ScKWhmD-XL.jpg

i-W4nhLgX-XL.jpg

DSC2675-XL.jpg

DSC2658-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Back at it...

i-Psm5cr2-XL.jpg

Some laughter about how it was 108 degrees just yesterday, not too far South of here at Green River..

i-B6KrPJr-XL.jpg

i-wRh6gDk-XL.jpg

Picnic time..

i-jM96DPn-XL.jpg

i-sTxBhRt-XL.jpg

i-fvc96n9-XL.jpg

Back on the road. We looped up into Wyoming, then East..

i-Sg4xJfM-XL.jpg

We do a little bit of exploring/poking-around to find a place to end the day..

i-hK9rwwP-XL.jpg

We found a place..

i-C5grZT7-XL.jpg

Great campground..

i-RLvWzTF-XL.jpg

And we were fortunate to find an open spot very near the Flaming Gorge itself. Sometimes it really does pay off to not plan..

i-VvW8wk2-XL.jpg

Good times..

i-kNHXWCN-XL.jpg

i-zwm54NL-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
We had some fun with the camera..

i-fxJ5mSz-XL.jpg

i-rmFNcjg-XL.jpg

i-HrJnhJC-XL.jpg

i-VTV9mj5-XL.jpg

Up late, but we slept really well..

i-8z8KM8R-XL.jpg

Colin had setup *his* tent, but since we'd been told there had been a bear in the campground several evenings recently we all stayed in the one large tent. The only animal troubles we had were with the curious ground squirrels. They wanted to be into everything...

i-LBRX6sF-XL.jpg

i-jc33zk6-XL.jpg

We need to come here again..

i-H4Q63rm-XL.jpg

Breakfast... and COFFEE! :coffeedrink:

i-HdjHFvW-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
The wildlife here are quite habituated to people..

i-2xgvwPM-XL.jpg

DSC2692-XL.jpg

Our campsite and those around were reserved for the remainder of the weekend, so we got our stuff packed, hit the Flaming Gorge Visitor Center for a map then ambled on down the road again..

i-VgKHjb4-XL.jpg

Mooving right along through the open-range..

DSC2693-XL.jpg

We thought the Dinosaur National Monument looked interesting, so that way we went. Checking out the campground, we figured maybe we don't really want to camp here after all. It seemed dirty and mostly under-maintained. If we were going to sleep somewhere like that, we'd prefer to do it not adjacent to a generator..

i-8Cj4fMc-XL.jpg

So we checked out some maps and did some strategerizing..

i-PB28msG-XL.jpg

Interesting area, but we just couldn't get into it after last night's Flaming Gorge..

i-XbcPkfH-XL.jpg

The map suggested we could easily make Grand Junction for the night, then tomorrow have a ton of options and lots of time to run them. So we headed East...

i-63kjB3f-XL.jpg

And then South...

i-bHw4x22-XL.jpg

I'd been noticing as the trip progressed that something metallic up under the hood would rattle noticeably when I'd be climbing hills on the highway in lower gears. By now it was bad enough that I decided to poke around and see what was loose. I still don't know for sure, but it seems the metallic wrap on some of the hoses gets just loose enough to make a lot of noise. Crimping those down a bit with my hands seems to have made a difference. Of course, that lasted about a day. Still, though, I can't find anything loose other than those..

i-FBNLVZD-XL.jpg

Night finds us at a KOA in Grand Junction. There is one other tent and the rest are RV's and camper trailers. It's okay, reasonably quiet and the shower feels fantastic..

i-tVh9VR9-XL.jpg

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1