The full sized mid-size, my 2014 F150 "Fiddy"

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thankfully I keep cash handy for things just in case my government declares the Emergency Measures Act and starts seizing citizens Bank accounts. I should probably store some fuel too incase they start rationing that.
Pretty sure they already declared it. Drain your account and trade for gold bars! lol

And fuel storage tanks. But don't forget to add treatment or the gas will just go bad...

Grassland

Well. Went to scout out the usual winter camp area.
Won't be a hot tent and stove this time, can't get the truck off the highway
Almost an hour to snow shoe in to the spot we typically set up, snow was knee to thigh deep everywhere. And the crystal/powder type snow that you sink down in because it's been -30 overnight for a week+.

Even if I had 35s and front and rear lockers, I don't think my truck would get in there.
What so you guys do for deep snow?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-160812.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-160812.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220226-160807.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-160807.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220226-160800.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-160800.jpg
    795.4 KB · Views: 20

Grassland

We plan to shovel out more off the side of the highway so we can park safely, and snow shoe in with sleds.
The downside to that is how long that takes and then building little individual shelters, and relying on body heat when sleeping.
Rather looks way more promising. Ideally lows of -15 and highs closer to freezing.

ricoisme26

We plan to shovel out more off the side of the highway so we can park safely, and snow shoe in with sleds.
The downside to that is how long that takes and then building little individual shelters, and relying on body heat when sleeping.
Rather looks way more promising. Ideally lows of -15 and highs closer to freezing.
Those sound like some crazy camping conditions... I'd love to get into winter camping just need to get a good setup for it. I think if I was faced with taht kind of cold though, and what sounds like a less than ideal set up relying on body heat alone, I'd be turning tail. Props to you guys up North

Grassland

We prefer the surveyor tent and wood stove but the one we have is huge, and heavy. The stove isn't light either. Having to haul it in by sled is a lot of work for two or three nights.
I've been looking at smaller tents and lighter stoves, but it's been an expensive year, and I'm not working 6 days a week anymore so income is down.

We've been out three times with -30 or colder over night and that's not fun, so we've agreed as a group to not go out unless the weather is better.

Grassland

with gas pushing $8 a gallon in plenty of places in Canada right now, don't know how many adventures we will be going on with the truck outside of our twice cancelled trip to Newfoundland.
I'll be that guy screwing the pooch at 90km/h the whole way at this rate to ideally keep the fuel use below 2000 liters. Had budgeted on 1800 liters at $1.80 a liter originally. That was still over $3k in fuel. More like $4k if it averages $2.25 a liter.
The house will be paid off, maybe we can take out an equity line of credit lol.
The work van is guzzling 87 octane at 20+ liters per 100 right now. It was 11 mpg last time I did the math. Anyone have a TARDIS I can use instead of the Transit?

Attachments

• tardis-doctor-who.jpg
    tardis-doctor-who.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
with gas pushing $8 a gallon in plenty of places in Canada right now, don't know how many adventures we will be going on with the truck outside of our twice cancelled trip to Newfoundland.
I'll be that guy screwing the pooch at 90km/h the whole way at this rate to ideally keep the fuel use below 2000 liters. Had budgeted on 1800 liters at $1.80 a liter originally. That was still over $3k in fuel. More like $4k if it averages $2.25 a liter.
The house will be paid off, maybe we can take out an equity line of credit lol.
The work van is guzzling 87 octane at 20+ liters per 100 right now. It was 11 mpg last time I did the math. Anyone have a TARDIS I can use instead of the Transit?
20 liters per 100? Ouch...

I commute 110 kms everyday for work. I'm scared what just going to work is going to cost me.
cheap-king-of-queens.gif

Grassland

20 liters per 100? Ouch...

I commute 110 kms everyday for work. I'm scared what just going to work is going to cost me.
View attachment 710815
The trucks excuse is large tires and towing a trailer.
The van I guess just being a big heavy block, and a city that has red lights everywhere. Plus it's been -30 a good portion of the winter so more idling than usual, and add in a lot more snow than usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1