The Hurt Locker - 2003 E350 v7.3 Crestline Ambulance Build Thread

Betarocker

Adventurer
I feel like today was a bit of a turning point in my adventure with auto electrics... It's sounds pretty amateurish but I finally got comfortable with my multimeter to debug issues which in turn made me more knowledgeable about how everything works. Baby steps but I'm pretty happy!

The good news:

- Fixed my left and right scene lights-- the issue was a missing light bar power wire controlling the switches.
- Fixed aftermarket fog lights that weren't functioning when I bought the vehicle-- loose connection at the switch I didn't even realize was a switch until I found it!
- Linked the relays for my left and right cot lights into one bank of lights.
- Tracked down the issue with my power door locks to a blown fuse at the circuit breakers.

The bad news:

- I have no idea why my power door locks are pulling so many amps to blow the fuse. I didn't end up changing anything with this circuit when deconstructing everything else. I tried two different fuses up to a 40 amp and it still blew when I connected the battery. If anyone has any insights into what might be going here I would be happy to hear!

I've been saying this for the last few days but everything always takes longer that I estimate... tomorrow might be solar day if it's sunny out!

For the door lock issue, check the wires going out to the door. Might have damaged insulation that's grounding out.

Todsleeman

Disconnected all the box lock actuators and it still happened so I'm thinking it has something to do with this aftermarket alarm system under the dash with some skeptical electrical taping.

Strange that it was working fine before I started removing the wires to the back.

Attachments

• 16198897258965098166144380847571.jpg
    16198897258965098166144380847571.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

iggi

Ian
With a multimeter and a good wiring schematic all this electrical stuff gets a lot easier. Congrats on the progress.
I was blowing fuses last summer and tracked it down to a poor job on my part of disabling the door switches.

Todsleeman

Yeah thanks so much for the wiring schematic... Matches up near enough perfectly.

Fixed the door lock sequence-- turned out to be a short in one of the relays direct from the door lock power. Guess it teaches me to check closer to the source before I go digging around at the end

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
FYI, my starting batteries kept dying after 12-15 months with the Diode isolator. The last set were six months old when I put in the ACR. That set lasted more than three years when the last three sets all died before 15 months.

With the diode isolator there’s a .7 volt drop... meaning the batteries don’t get a full charge.

iggi

Ian
FYI, my starting batteries kept dying after 12-15 months with the Diode isolator. The last set were six months old when I put in the ACR. That set lasted more than three years when the last three sets all died before 15 months.

With the diode isolator there’s a .7 volt drop... meaning the batteries don’t get a full charge.
I was trying to remember what your issue was. Not seeing the voltage drop on mine. so not sure if it's related to your vintage of isolator or what. I'm two years on the same starter batteries and am not sure how old they were before but they weren't brand new.

Todsleeman

Thanks @Bikersmurf - I am seeing 14.2v at the batteries and 12.8v after the isolator so I'll get round to installing the ACR if that makes the batteries last longer.

Didn't want to bite off more than I could chew when relocating the electrics so got everything moved today and working as it was before. Connected everything back up and my power locks didn't work again - finally learnt (the hard way) that there is a difference between normally open and normally closed relays even though they look identical. Needs a bit more of a wire clean up but so happy it's all moved and working. Leaving my side door ready and waiting for propane, water and trash.

Next steps is wiring up the fridge, water pump and still... solar.

PXL_20210504_235702496.MP.jpg

PXL_20210504_235847803.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210504_235847803.jpg
    PXL_20210504_235847803.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
FYI, when I wired in the ACR, the cable from the centre of the diode isolator is connected to one post of the ACR along with the cable that connects to the starter batteries. The cable from the house batteries connects to the 2nd post of the ACR.

My first choice was to wire the Alternator to the house batteries first... this unfortunately led to the alternator output spiking to 15.2 volts before the ACR connected the two banks and the voltage would stabilize around 14.5 volts. The momentary blip would shut down my inverter for over voltage.

Todsleeman

Cheers for the info - I picked up the 7622. I'm waiting on a busbar to connect the alternator and solar to the house batteries and I'll wire it all in.

Probably ready for an electrical break for a little bit anyway. Still can't believe it all still works.

TheRealPapaK

I'm not critiquing, I'm genuinely curious about propane above batteries. In my build, my stove is above my battery bank and I sealed everything thing with silicone so that if I ever did have a leak it wouldn't sink into the battery well and somehow have a spark in a very low case scenario. Does anyone have any real insight to this? Or was I overkill?

Todsleeman

Fair observation - it did cross my mind. Such a long list of tasks that I said to myself that I would come back around to making it more "bomb proof" if I had the time.

Interested to hear if anyone else has an opinion or a horror story since it does seem like the perfect access compartment for propane.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Fair observation - it did cross my mind. Such a long list of tasks that I said to myself that I would come back around to making it more "bomb proof" if I had the time.

Interested to hear if anyone else has an opinion or a horror story since it does seem like the perfect access compartment for propane.
I hear his point. With the inner panel back on the door, the batteries should be sealed off from the propane tank. If all that’s below is batteries, I can’t see there being any source of spark from there. If there was spark in the battery coming there could be a problem with the hydrogen released from them during charging. For this reason the battery compartment was not airtight to the outside, and sealed to the electrical compartment where you now have the propane tank.

453BAD61-5D90-44B9-8CAA-648124EF4D64.jpeg

More importantly, be sure to have your propane compartment sealed to the passenger compartment and vented outside. Since propane is heavier than air, the vent needs to be at the bottom of the compartment it’s in.

I’d not rule out where you have it, and welcome others thoughts and opinions pro/con on where he has it. I’m not an expert and am merely sharing my thoughts and perspectives. There could be things I’m not considering...

And I have been wrong before... I once thought I was wrong... turns out I wasn’t. But in thinking I was, I’ve been wrong. ;) JK

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’d be more concerned in the panel being removed to fit the 20 lb tank, and there being no protection from impact in a collision. I’ve got a 5 lb tank because they’re smaller in diameter. To do it over, I’d buy the taller 11 lb tank... which I’d not seen before buying the 5er.

Todsleeman

I do plan on adding the door panel back in which does look like it would create a good closed seal now that you mention it. The 20lb still fits with that added back in.

In other news, solar has finally been installed, fridge has been wired up and a battery monitor has been added. Still need to do some wire clean up but so nice to have a power source other than the engine or shore power. I've got 2x 120 watt flexible panels so I'm interested to see how well the whole setup works.

PXL_20210508_211213323.jpg

@iggi - I wired directly to the aux batteries as you said and now understand the "switch" aspect since it has an output on the charge controller for a component. I don't think I'm going to take advantage of this and keep my switches all managed from the batteries/relays.

Attachments

• PXL_20210509_005550330.PANO~2.jpg
    PXL_20210509_005550330.PANO~2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1