The Josh's M416 Trailer Build

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looking good man... kids seem to like it!

I have 150 LB gas struts as well, I know they wont be enough. There is a place in Vancouver that will custom make struts so I might just do that.

Flashole

Adventurer
Well the shocks are not enough to support the lid and the RTT. Now I need to find some before next weekends trip. Anyone have any suggestions?

Trailer looks great!

I bought mine at lift support depot. You will have to call to place your order because their sight is geared for automobiles. They were very helpful and they ship pretty quickly.

For what it's worth, I went with 180lb shocks, but I'm not running a RTT.

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/

BTW....Where did you get the rear leveling jacks/supports? I need to figure something out for the rear of my trailer.

Last edited:

3d fj

Observer
There are so many great ideas here. wrt you battery, how are you charging it? Is it by way of a 7pin plug from the tow rig? Using any breakers or isolators?

TheJosh

Explorer
Trailer looks great!

I bought mine at lift support depot. You will have to call to place your order because their sight is geared for automobiles. They were very helpful and they ship pretty quickly.

For what it's worth, I went with 180lb shocks, but I'm not running a RTT.

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/

BTW....Where did you get the rear leveling jacks/supports? I need to figure something out for the rear of my trailer.

Thanks! I found exactly the ones I needed for a upgrade from.McMaster Carr. I went with 225lbs each that should hold the weight nicely especially when I add the solar panels

There are so many great ideas here. wrt you battery, how are you charging it? Is it by way of a 7pin plug from the tow rig? Using any breakers or isolators?

Thank you. Even though the trailer is "finished" and ready for testing. Once I go on my trip and bring it back to get its final paint I still have a few other things up my sleeve to install. One being a rear bolt on bumper (which I would like to make several for sale to help defer the cost of all the steel I bought) and them my solar panels ams charging systems

For the battery I am charging it thru the 7 pin connector. It'll be more of a trickle charge and I plan on bringing my battery charger in case I find shore power. I have dual batteries on my tow rig so I really didn't want to put the strain on charging 3 batteries thru 4 gauge wire on my alternator. It is running thru a blue seas fuse block

Here is a pic of a clean "ish" garage and the trailer tucked away for the night

IMG_20130615_205141_zps48e48c00.jpg

TheJosh

Explorer
Just about finished up with the trailer and took out tonight for a test drive on the freeway and side streets. We are leaving for pismo beach on Thursday so I really can't wait to use it

IMG_20130618_203636_zpse5875ec2.jpg

Hooked up and ready

IMG_20130618_205550_zps9a90d0fd.jpg

IMG_20130618_205602_zps8e0c2c4e.jpg

I welded Two d rings on the forward facing part of the bumper cross member to tie the chains into and so they wouldn't hang low

IMG_20130618_205705_zps5748a018.jpg

My propane mount. I will be adding two quick fist to secure and a padlock to lock it in

IMG_20130618_215941_zps7f0be4b4.jpg

TheJosh

Explorer
I'm interested in what you have in store for this. Did you make the bracket yourself? Also... is this a 5lb?

Here is another angle of the bracket. I made it last night its for my 11lb tanks. The 5lbs just seemed so small and the 11lb looks perfect on the side of the trailer. I will show the finished picture tonight after I install the quick fists and make the second mount. I will also have a tab to lock the top handle to the mount. The simple design came out good. The tank goes in at a angle and the back top brace secures the tanks in nicely

IMG_20130619_101653_zps04d6e101.jpg

TheJosh

Explorer
Made it to the beach late last night and setup quickly and sleep like a baby for the first night in our RTT

The trailer towed great all the way down to pismo and tracked perfectly. Surprisingly I had excellent gas mileage all the way down at 15.1 miles per gallon which would be good without even towing and having the
truck loaded with all the gear. Definitely a pleasant surprise!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371830721733.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371830721733.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 52

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Ha ha, looking like you hit your bandwidth limit too man. It happened to me last week...I bucked up for some storage. lol

Trailer and rig looking good man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design