The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Installed some Timbren progressive rate bumpstops and a new stereo. So not much, I'll be moving forward with it soon. I've got two other Gen 2.5's I'm working on to sell and proceeds will go to fixing this one.

Toasty

Yeah! the SOHC trucks have 95mm joints and the DOHC has 100mm joints. Both are huge but the SR is a little bigger.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Installed some Timbren progressive rate bumpstops and a new stereo. So not much, I'll be moving forward with it soon. I've got two other Gen 2.5's I'm working on to sell and proceeds will go to fixing this one.
Send me a PM about those 2.5's. I might be in the market for a replacement Monty.

Toasty

Update, here are the bigger brakes and I got the new balljoints ready to go. Just need to finish the front diff and it can go back in the truck.

Resized_20160416_123831.jpeg

Picked up some 37's to get me by and see how I like 37's, these are 37x13.5R17. The end goal is 37x12.5 Toyo R/T or the same tire but 35x12.5 if I decide to stay with 35's

20160630_133738.jpg

Looks like It might rub a bit but I can easily go back up a few inches in suspension lift, this is on stock springs.

Last edited:

Toasty

And yes my garage is still full of crap from moving back in February, *sigh. :)

PacS14

Adventurer
Update, here are the bigger brakes and I got the new balljoints ready to go. Just need to finish the front diff and it can go back in the truck.

Resized_20160416_123831.jpeg

What vehicle did the big breaks come from? And thanks for sharing with us!

Toasty

Montero/Pajero or Montero Sport with 16" wheels will have 315mm brakes BUT you need the complete knuckle assembly if you have ABS because the ABS ring is bigger too. The trucks with 16" wheels also have a larger 1" master cylinder and you want that.

Toasty

Thats not a thing, IF you can get RCV to respond to their claim of building ANY CV for custom applications post up and lets get a group buy going. It seems custom is cool but they have no interest in Montero anything even though they have joints the proper size and they have shafts with the proper spline already. I've started spamming them on different sites and social media calling them out on their claims.

Toasty

Currently the best thing to do is get 94-96 SR CV halfshafts, dissassemble them and send them to CryoHeat in Colorado. Montero CVs are already bigger/stronger than any other SUV on the market (excluding military) so keep that in mind.

tlr

Adventurer
Hmm well that's a crappy way to run a company. If we have specs I've got a friend in IL that can go down there and get a quote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1