The Old Wood Hauler: 1983 Toyota 4WD Build/Restoration

Derek24

Explorer
Looks, rides, feels great! Cutting fire wood tomorrow back where this truck came from. More pics to come and offroad reviews.

image.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Looks awesome man. Love those solid steel wheels.

Thanks, I agree.

Today I got to test out how it drives, which it does perfectly. Very smooth, and for how gnarly these tires are, pretty quite. Similar to every other MT tire I've had or rode on. They bite like a tractor. I think I'm done for now, just more wheelin...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Between my dad and I we've had an 83, 85, 87 (4Runner that I still have), 88, and a 90 that he still drives. None had less than 250k miles on them when sold, the 83 and 85 both had 300k+ when sold.

I have a special place in my heart for the 83, I learned to drive in it, took my drivers test in it, borrowed it for dates etc. So that lends me to love your truck. Good job. I really like the period correct rear bumper. In some of the pics it looks like is hanging low, if you were able to clean it up and "tuck" it in a little bit and get a matching double tube for the front, it would be sweet. I know you have other plans, just throwing in my .02.

Good job.

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks! When I had the bed off I saw there were adjustment holes for the bumper. It does hand a little low so I'll have to fix that. Seems like everyone has a story about these trucks, mostly when they were young. I actually broke the windshield of this truck on this same property with my head. Got 16 stitches from it. We hit a stump in tall grass. I got my blood on this truck, I will never sell it!

snekvasil

Adventurer
dude, i love this truck. my grandpa had a very similar one, so every time i see yours, i think of him. looks great. keep up the good work.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Thanks, I agree.

Today I got to test out how it drives, which it does perfectly. Very smooth, and for how gnarly these tires are, pretty quite. Similar to every other MT tire I've had or rode on. They bite like a tractor. I think I'm done for now, just more wheelin...

View attachment 255430
View attachment 255431
View attachment 255432
View attachment 255433
View attachment 255434

love love love these pics and this truck. doing what it was supposed to be doing! wheels look great. love the chainsaw in the back with the firewood =) you're doing a fantastic job.

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks guys! Love this truck! It was my grandpas at once as well. Three generations have owned this truck,makes it that much more special.

Derek24

Explorer
Enjoying the truck and flooding happening here in Northern California! 9 inches of rain less than 12 hrs and a couple more throughout the day makes for a lot of water!

image.jpg

Your truck feels right at home in this weather. Mine has no heater blower yet, so the windows fog up the second I get in it. Frustrating this time of year. I hate to have a fun truck just sit.

Derek24

Explorer
Your truck feels right at home in this weather. Mine has no heater blower yet, so the windows fog up the second I get in it. Frustrating this time of year. I hate to have a fun truck just sit.

Thanks! My heater is not the best so my windows do fog up if there's two people inside talking to much lol! I know how you feel, when my truck was down when I was rebuilding the front end and adding my lift I was missing out on some wheelin trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1