The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
while the total isn't done (nor is any part of it), I'm pleasantly surprised at how affordable the interior work is. $500 for carpet, $200 for more sound deadening, $400 for the saggy roof, $1200 for the dash, $1600 for the seats. Seats with leather seating surfaces (and new foam) and the dash with some minor modifications to stock but will be a solid upgrade... of course, 2 months wait time... but it's a lot less than I expected.

not recovering the rear seat. This is getting a camper - thus leaving the area open most of the time.

what isn't affordable is all the exterior parts (like grill) the cars giveth and the car taketh away. Lamentations 30:2 SBG version.

superbuickguy

Explorer
a year ago, I bought a box full of squarebody weatherstrips... misc stuff. Finally got around to inventorying it and found I have enough to do the Blazer and probably the 4 door truck's doors with weather seal (channel and glass wipes.
54y2PIUh.jpg

didn't get windwing stuff, but I have like 10 of them and at least 2 with decent seals.
fitting on the pretty stuff, mostly the keep it safe
0auYTrph.jpg

my 'goal' on this is that someone would think I modified a new Blazer with lift, fender flares and nice seats.... sure, there is a lot more into it but that's the goal - so no painting chrome, no blacking grills or rear trims
zqmOQbYh.jpg

probably will tint marker lights but that's about it for that... .again, looks stock but not
fvUeCmUh.jpg

and again, the entire point of this build is an overland rig - so the camper, not the truck, is the focus

superbuickguy

Explorer
Back to the Blazer
I thought the white was jarring
FunNa8Zh.jpg

so I blacked out the sun (that would be a cool song title)
OFj5U04h.jpg

bought new K5 badges
aDGGvsPh.jpg

then worked on trying to find the holes that the painter conveniently filled and painted over... failed, but I'm gluing it in place so no worries
OFO2xCdh.jpg

then started installing the flares
Ns28o5gh.jpg

more tomorrow.

superbuickguy

Explorer
then again, I could be working on the tailgate, still, by the time SEMA rolls around... lordy
first, though, attach the rear aluminum strip
T23ey02.jpg

then work on latches.... not terrible, but a PITA and fiddly
wJRGvpIh.jpg

then work on the switch
B0BDealh.jpg

oh but wait, more parts
ZzmsOOZh.jpg

picture for posterity
KbKpveAh.jpg

and the problems... corrosion on the contacts
MiIyqr4h.jpg

I'm so glad this never became a thing at GM.... what a stupid way of holding a cylinder together
D32CFwch.jpg

by now, you probably realize the issue is the switch isn't working
qohLNlSh.jpg

don't have a 4th hand to take a picture of this being tested by the problem is this bit
KbKpveAh.jpg

doesn't hang out on that pin... it allows power through the various contacts (twist the key makes the contact complete the power circuit to the other wire. That copper part should be attached to the top (the back side of this piece via the missing stud)
B0BDealh.jpg

so my attempt to save $100 failed.... or I I just didn't feel like seeing how terrible my soldering skillz are....
and finally, to make myself feel better, I successfully (and that was fully successfully) attached the new motor to the bracket
EMJScvSh.jpg

anyway, back to waiting for parts.... I have plenty to do...

superbuickguy

Explorer
repainted the front... there were 2 more coats after this... it's nice and black
3bg8lmsh.jpg

then there will be some assembly required for the rear bumper
hgIJiTQh.jpg

and to mention... I ordered a replacement bumper for my Colorado on 6/18. I still don't have it and we're still in the "two weeks" BS that they say. This bumper, I ordered 2 weeks ago.... I'm not saying use Move products but I am saying if you don't, you'll wish you did
mMlhGNih.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
Just remember, what I'm working on took a high school graduate seconds on the assembly line.... geesh
another one of those high impedance air gaps
MgBdrB1h.jpg

time to strip
c73H8NUh.jpg

it's just an empty shell of itself
iz48zGmh.jpg

can someone please explain to me why the English lick paint - you've heard them talk about it "give it a lick of paint"
EuIXssuh.jpg

now with paint
lRIdwd3h.jpg

figured I'd give myself a boost by welding this together.... my initial feeling is they overbent a line.... hope I'm wrong
jLaqnVNh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
time to start the reassembly
first, fix the wiring
n0IfwBph.jpg

then remember I forgot to drill the holes for the wires... oops
y2nmH9yh.jpg

difference between factory and aftermarket - see the marks for drilling the holes in the gm one?
mqg4JuDh.jpg

a lock on
D3R8XlGh.jpg

Tuesday, I have to get this to the glass shop to put in a new front window... did I mention my trailer is 250 miles away?

superbuickguy

Explorer
carrying on... other door stripped
NnOl4Cwh.jpg

drilled the holes
gkC7B1uh.jpg

then deburred with these
STNa91Ah.jpg

OXwaL0nh.jpg

then put on the aftermarket mirrors. just no
GS4jNK7h.jpg

I will probably disassemble them then make them black - aftermarket mirrors are plastic, not stainless, like the originals. kind of a win/lose thing but the win part is it's a lot easier to get paint to adhere to plastic.
Qrc1bSOh.jpg

I'll use the stock base with the plastic cover and the arm. might even make them heated since I have to take them completely apart.

but that's later. Tomorrow it gets its front window.

ITTOG

carrying on... other door stripped
NnOl4Cwh.jpg

drilled the holes
gkC7B1uh.jpg

then deburred with these
STNa91Ah.jpg

OXwaL0nh.jpg

then put on the aftermarket mirrors. just no
GS4jNK7h.jpg

I will probably disassemble them then make them black - aftermarket mirrors are plastic, not stainless, like the originals. kind of a win/lose thing but the win part is it's a lot easier to get paint to adhere to plastic.
Qrc1bSOh.jpg

I'll use the stock base with the plastic cover and the arm. might even make them heated since I have to take them completely apart.

but that's later. Tomorrow it gets its front window.
It is looking great, except for the mirrors. They seem out of place. Maybe if the arm wasn't so tall?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1