The_ExploreMore_4Runner - The Go Everywhere 3rd Generation 4Runner

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
Rhino Rack Addition

A Rhino Rack Pioneer Rack has been on the wish list for awhile. I have been searching for a solution that is low profile, lightweight, and uses a modular accessory system. There aren’t too many options out on the market that check off those specifics.

After speaking with the team at Rhino Rack, they also showed me RLT600 the Quick Mount Leg System. The idea that I could un-clip the rack from the 4Runner and store it was another awesome option that I didn’t know I wanted.

The install went pretty smooth, for never having messed with one of these racks before. I had to refer to the instructions throughout it. Took 5 hours total this time, but if I had to again it would probably be half that. As typical with racks, the adjustments and tweaks to the legs to match the rig appropriately took the most time since I was doing it by myself.

24597477585_3977bc794f_c.jpg

23970686243_2ff43d98e7_c.jpg

23970691443_3d8824e52c_c.jpg

Ended up with about 3” of space between the roof and lower edge of the rack. Also liked that the rack ends right behind the sunroof. Vent function is not affected AND you can not see it through the sunroof. Took it out on the highway last night and was really surprised by how little wind noise there was!

24489170752_bba1750b88_c.jpg

Best of all, it is keyed and each leg pops out of the foot pads with a quick pinch.

24597487665_e0f453df62_c.jpg

23970698863_e6fa378aaa_c.jpg

Next up, installing an awning, LED light bar and MaxTrax up on the rack.

kwill

Observer
I'm considering the Rhino Rack too and appreciate your write up. I wish it sat a little lower but am glad to hear that the wind noise isn't bad.

jgilbreath

Observer
Any idea how a longer rhino rack would attach forward of the roof rails? Do they make a shorter leg attachment that is not quick disconnect?

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
I can't imagine an easy solution for a longer rack for the non-sunroof rigs. Maybe one of the clamps that grab the top of the door frame? I could also imagine dropping the headliner and installing a permanent foot pad into the roof (http://goo.gl/ehSe1D), IF you are ready for a long term commitment...

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
So many updates....

Couple things to catch up on...
Parked the rig one day after work. Next morning it wouldn't fire up...

26405285812_069851fd52_c.jpg

26497598575_3a5cda4300_c.jpg

Ended up having it towed down to a favorite shop. As suspected, final ruling was that the fuel pump had given up the ghost. Couple days later, back on the road. While I would normally tackle most repairs, the side of the road wasn't the place to be dropping a tank. Of course, tons of Jeeps getting worked on...

Recently also had the chance to upgrade my wheels and tires! Insanely proud to be rocking a set of Stealth Custom Series F5 Wheels and the new Falken AT3W tires. Moving to a 285/70R17. Just to a little rubbing on the front fenders, but nothing a little engineering hammer can't fix.

26431497941_7ec671b526_b.jpg

26405293062_53f5541216_b.jpg

25894777833_ce396cb0a9_b.jpg

25895284193_c79ee0192d_b.jpg

Next stop is to figure out a solution to get rid of this chrome rear bumper....it stands out (in a bad way).

Last edited:

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Very sexy on the wheels, reminds me much of mine.
DSC_8405_zpslvenrvko.jpg

Maybe find a stock non-chrome rear bumper or look at any of the big aftermarket ones. I've purchased a CBI which I'm getting powder coated to match my cladding.

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
Wow...haven't been good about keeping the updates flowing. Quite a few things have happened since then.

Open House / Customer Appreciate day at the Das Mule shop.

26471669106_31cedbb12e_b.jpg

Got to check out some awesome rigs, get a bit more inspiration (hello...78 Series Troopy...) and get a chance to look at some products I had been meaning to pick up (jiggle syphon, Rotopax, Ram Mount among other things...)

I've had 3 solid months on the new Falken Wildpeak AT3W and am absolutely happy with them. They have handled the daily pavement pounding and the few dirt trails without blinking. Also very happy with their performance in the wet, as I do not have nearly the tire spin when the rain hits. Since I DD this rig, on-street performance is a crucial aspect of what I want in a tire.

Recently had them out on a trail and was absolutely pleased with how they did. Gravel, dirt and a bit of wet rock. I was impatient and didn't air down, but they still didn't struggle for grip on the trail.

28758053095_b96f4ca6a6_b.jpg

I'll post more about this awesome little trail in the 'completed trip' section later.

Cargo Area Update
The ARB Outback Solution drawer is incredible at holding stuff inside itself, but struggles when you try to secure something to the top deck. I needed to add some tie-down points and finish off the trim panel.

28680095861_d376202f07_b.jpg

Can't forget the easily accessible bottle opened....

26224751250_78633dbcc3_b.jpg

Tucked my ARB Compressor under the trim panel, then mounted a the pump up quick disconnect at the edge.

26471666606_f987e14c84_b.jpg

Hard to be beat a day on the trail with your best friend...

28726126816_7ae95b38e1_b.jpg

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
Cargo Storage Finished!

Feeling pretty confident in the final layout of the cargo area. Wanted to keep it clean and simple.

28800561352_3a98ba87ca_b.jpg

- 37 qt ARB Fridge Freezer (with new constant power outlet, hooked into the Blue Sea power bank under the hood)
- ARB Extended Length Fridge Slide
- ARB Roller Drawer w/ Floor (RDRF945 - 20"x37"x11")

A few Plano boxes fit perfectly on top of drawer and carry all the camping gear. Coupled with some rounded tie down points and some tracking to make a very universal and versatile way to tie down cargo.

I have my recovery kit and spill kit secured on the fridge slide behind the fridge. Always in the truck and no concerns about it bouncing loose. The drawer is full of the rest of go-to tools. Thinking I may run through that gear at some point if there is interest.

Shred-Head

This could end up being the best and simplest addition to the build!

I've been fed up with the mismatching of bags and storage boxes when I head out to the trail. Each time I load up, I try different ways of stacking stuff hoping something will work better than the previous trip.

And that is where the ARB Outback Solution Drawer comes into the picture. I was looking for something that would be strong, lightweight and easy to slide when it was full of gear.

23212123319_8321040df4_b.jpg

Really impressed by the construction and precision of this thing. Little bit of a pain to install, but it was worth it. Basic rundown of the install…

I still need to finish trimming out the side of the drawers with with the help of some CAD (cardboard assisted design).

24218837740_0a57618499_c.jpg

From there, the plan is to turn it into part of a sleeping platform. Also going to add some additional tie down points and a fridge slide.

23471517152_ee5cb1ce29_b.jpg

22951851984_db12e4850a_b.jpg

Awesome set up! I just installed a single ARB drawer with the roller top in my 5th gen and am loving it so far. I want to build side panels like you did since ARB doesnt offer the side floor kit for 4runners. I see you were able to buy the L-brackets from ARB? Did you have to special order them from ARB or did you find it online? I called ARB and asked about those brackets but the guy I spoke with didn't think they were sold separately, only part of the side floor kit. Any idea where I can get these brackets? Thanks!

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
Great question. I ended up using some angled brackets that I made up myself. Transferred the template from the side of the box onto aluminum and went ahead with it from there.

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
Now for sale

The time has come. I need a larger SUV and have decided to sell the 4Runner.
For anyone on Expo, I ask $6750. Located in Seattle, WA.
Text me - 404-210-6576

1996 Toyota 4Runner - Limited
300K miles, but completely ready. This 4Runner is ready to tackle any trail or camping trip, while getting 16-17mpg. This thing is completely loaded! Leather, A/C, sunroof, power everything and remote start.

The important stuff...
ARB Bumper, Warn winch, Old Man Emu lift, 33” Falken All-Terrain Tires (BRAND NEW), RCI Aluminum Skid Plates (engine, transmission, transfer case), Factory E-Locker.

Other pieces of gear…
- Rhino Rack Pioneer roof rack
- ARB Storage Drawer
- Tundra big brake upgrade - drilled & slotted
- Icon Dynamics Upper Control Arms
- High angle CV boots
- All Pro Rock Rails
- HID Projector Headlights
- Stealth Custom Series Wheels (17")
- Alpine Headunit (iPod, USB capable)
- Alpine Door Speakers
- Uniden CB Radio
- ARB compressor
- Odessey AGM Battery
- Blue Sea auxiliary fuse box

Negotiable gear...
ARB Intensity LED Lights {Will sell for $800 (pair), normally $1500 new}

Recent maintenance includes replaced lower ball joints, tie rods, rotors, alignment, brake pads, Fuel pump, LED dashboard lights, new radiator, spark plugs and an oil change. Other improvements include pre-wired for ARB Fridge, wiring for 4 auxiliary lights, power antenna switch.

The honest truth:
- The Engine: It does burn a little coolant, so it is a little extra smokey on start up in the cold. It has since I bought it 5 years ago. The amount has not changed over that time. I top off the level every 3 months or so. Its a high milage motor but hasn't skipped a beat.
- The Exhaust - Has a whistle that is likely a loose baffle in the muffler.
- The Driver Seat - leather has a big cracked along the side of the seat.
- The Rear Suspension - stiff without weight in the cargo area. I always carried 200lbs of gear (recovery, camping, fridge, etc.) and without it, the ride may be bumpier than perfection. Was planning on adding a rear bumper soon as well, so that plays a roll in the coil spring choice.
- The Rear Bumper - Nice dent in it. Again, was planning for an aftermarket one so never really bothered to replace it.
- The Paint - Probably a 6/10. The hood has started to show some clear coat issues. The previous owner loved automatic car washes, so there are some swirls in the paint.

Feel free to email questions. I can talk all day about how much I love this rig and what I have done to improve it.

33191910566_012adc12c2_k.jpg

32850440000_f8eeae5438_b.jpg

33233597245_7988e5c0ba_b.jpg

33233596925_b92c1ab88e_b.jpg

33233600465_4cd8585112_b.jpg

33105207891_f4428fdd7d_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1