Thinking about Nissan Frontier, What are the issues?

Topgun514

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I am (as always) looking around at new vehicles and the frontier has intrigued me. They seem like the durability of a Tacoma, and much less in price. I read they are pretty solid and similar to the xterra's and have heard nothing but stellar reviews.

Unfortunately, online dialogue has mentioned transmission/ radiator failures, and timing chain guides being eaten up. These seem like fixable issues however, so I am really wondering what years these issues are prevalent on, how to prevent them if I were to get a "bad year" or if they are blown out of proportion. Wandering the wide open is much more enjoyable when you are not worrying about something going wrong that was preventable. Any other issues as well, front differential?

My inspiration on this:http://www.expeditionportal.com/veh...-vfotw-flippac-outfitted-nissan-frontier.html

I would look to do a similar lift (2-3 inches?) bumpers f/r, 32 in AT's, maybe no rocker gaurds, and save for a flippac or until my RTT wears out. 4 doors and easily carrying ski's and bikes are needed, driving the highway comfortably too (my current XJ Cherokee is great up to 45 mph, after that it's gotta be downhill with the RTT on or 5th gear is useless)

Thanks guys, looking forward to future drives.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Calling GlamisDude!

He has the 2 door version. Very good looking truck IMO. I copied some of the things he has done.

Xterra_Brit

If it's like the Xterra they fixed the radiator/transmisson issue in 2010 with an updated radiator and different trans fluid. With a pre 2010 auto you can do an easy rad bypass and ensure you won't have SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death) but might need to add a cooler if you tow or offraod a lot, and depentant on heat in your area.

I also think they updated the timing chain but I'm not sure on the year of that or if it really did anything.

Check out clubfrontier.org if you want alot more info.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
^^^ What he said. Other than that, they're solid. I'd buy a Frontier over a Tacoma any day of the week. The frame is tougher than a Taco, and I've heard people complain about the factory rear suspension on them. No complaints with the Nissan. They have nice interiors, an awesome engine, they look better in my opinion, they are nice, comfy, and quiet, and there's quite a good aftermarket. And there's that price, of course. Look for a Pro-4x or Nismo for a factory locker.

Front diff issues come from suddenly stopping tire spin. So be a bit more gentle on the throttle or save up and swap it with a Titan unit. Or add an ARB. Remember, even the Taco has some small issues too.

Overall though, it's a really solid platform, and I think it's really underestimated.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Oh, and to put your mind at ease, the bypass mod to save your trans is stupid easy and cheap.

X2 clubfrontier.org is an excellent resource.

ShinySideUp

I've got an Equator RMZ-4 which is basically a Frontier Pro 4X and have been more and more impressed with it everytime I do anything with it! I just had it at Hidden Falls all day today, and it performed awesome! But Rock sliders and skid plates would come in handy.. From someone that has previously had an XJ, that wheelbase seems MIGHTY long when you are going over a rocky breakover and trying to keep the rocker panels straight..

But seriously, this truck is awesome!

skibum315

Explorer
'nother good fix for the radiator issue is to just get the MT ... :coffeedrink:;)

... seriously, though, they're mechanically almost exactly the same as the Xterra of the same vintage, just longer wheelbase ... also SOA (spring over axle) vs. the X's SUA (spring under axle) in the rear. I don't know, but have to believe that the Frontier's rear suspension has a bit more spring than the X - the Xterra rear springs are stupid soft after far too few miles.

Sounds like maybe you're looking at the newer (> '05) models, and that would be my recommendation, the VQ40 is a sweet little motor. As has been mentioned, clubfrontier.org is a good resource; but since they're so mechanically similar, the Xterra site (www.thenewx.org) is a good one as well.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Do it! You won't be disappointed. I had an XJ previously as well and while I loved it, it'll seem like a relic compared to a Frontier. The 4.0 is such a strong and smooth engine. I live in a mountainous area and even pulling a trailer it has never felt underpowered. The cab is a good size for a midsize pickup and I like the fact that the back seats are split 60/40 and that I can either flip the bottom cushion up or flip the backrest down, depending on what I need to haul. My truck is an 07 model with 38k miles on it. While it hasn't traveled very far, age can be just as detrimental to a vehicle as distance and mine is still like a new one. I added a ReadyLift SST level kit to mine that raised the front 2.5" and the rear 1.5". Since mine is a Nismo (now known as Pro-4X), the front was already slightly higher than the S/SV and LE/SL models, so with an ARB bumper on the front it sits pretty much dead level. I didn't think I would install a bumper when I lifted it, so I may someday upgrade the suspension to a true lift and will go with a 2.5" kit at that time.

On stock size tires (265/75-16 on Nismo/Pro-4X) I was getting over 20 mpg on the two lane highways running around 60 and 18 on the freeway at 75-80. I've lost a mpg or so with the bumper and lift, but I can still eke 19-20 out on the same trip. I'm running a stock sized set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s at this time.

One note as you start looking - if you intend to go with a FlipPac someday, you may want to go with a truck that does not have the stock roof rack as it will be in the way of your tent floor when unfolded. You can get this configuration in the S/SV model or the Nismo/Pro-4X without sunroof and roof rack package. Sunroof = roof rack on the Nismo/Pro-4X and all LE/SL models have racks, in other words.

I drooled over Tacomas for YEARS and have since decided that you can't beat the value and toughness of the Frontier. In addition to the rear suspension woes on the Tacoma, you also have to watch out for bed issues as the composite bed can crack under load and the bed rails can spread with the addition of weight from a camper shell. The tailgates are often prone to fall off if you load an ATV in the bed like I do.

I bought my 07 with 20k miles last fall and haven't looked back (and saved $5-6k over the Toyota in the first place!). Go for it and keep us posted with your search!

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
I have had several Nissan Frontiers, 1st and 2nd gen and just bought a new one a few mos ago. The older ones 05 -09 have issues with fluids contamination and a relay call back for the computer system. My latest is a 2013 CrewCab Pro-4x. It is AWESOME (even though their tailpipes don't fare too well against rocks, LOL)

bender031

A couple notes on the lift/tires. A stock pro-4x/nismo has a 32" tire (265x75) I have an 1.5" OME lift and clear 285x75 Duratracs (a full 33" tire)

In full disclosure - the 4.0 is a good motor but dont expect sedan MPGs, on stock tires I was averaging 14-15, on the 33" duratracks its 13-14. not very impressive considering the full size trucks (both V6 and V8) can do better with 100+ more HP. I dont care, I dont drive enough miles to make it an issue, but worth noting.

There are great little trucks and nice to have something other than the Taco out there. The current Generation has been around since 2005, and most of the kinks have been worked out (as mentioned with the cross-contamination radiator/tranny issue). although its not a toyota or Jeep there is a decent aftermarket for lifts, bumpers, sliders etc...

Topgun514

Adventurer
Just wondering, I have seen a post on club frontier for 2005-2010 X-contamination... should the model years I look at be 2011? Also, the timing chain guides and differential issues were fixed in the same 2011 year models?

Also, for a 2-3 in. lift, and bearing in mind I will be adding bumpers, what should I look at to have a smooth and quiet ride, handle washboard roads, moderate offroad/ rock sections. Are AAL frowned upon, do I get UCA's, LCA's?

And for MPG's, I do mostly highway to offroad areas (the West is best, ~230 miles to Moab, ~300 to Escalante, ~200 to Jackson, WY...all highway, though some mountain passes). I have read to expect 18-19 highway being gentle on the pedal.

Thank you for all your help guys and gals!

fortel

Adventurer
Thrilled with my 2012 CrewCab SV 4x4. Smoothest running engine I have ever owned. Hope to do a small lift and bump from the smaller tires of the SV model to a 265/75/16 AT (Cooper ST Maxx or GY Duratracs) when funds become available. The only minor issue I have is a 13 year old who is already taller than me and most likely will top out at 6'2" or so. He doesn't have the best leg room in the back seat but I suspect that would be the case in any mid-size vehicle. I wish at times I had the Pro-4X to get the locker but I haven't needed it in the type of driving I do so far so it really hasn't been a problem.

humz

2011 have the new Radiator part#, there is a good chance the issue was resolved in 2008 though. They've been keeping track of all the cases on thenewx.org and there isn't a single case yet in a 2009 and newer. I have a 2010 and will wait until the extented Rad warranty is up then possibly swap in a new rad if it looks like 2010's are vulnerable.

Im also the timing chain issue was only on the earlier models and then weaker rear diff was upgraded in 2007 or 2008.

For what your describing the Nisstec ultimate lift is probably a good starter lift, and add a set of 285's. AAL are fine although they do tend the flatten out the leaf packs quick especially if you go up higher and add aftermarket shackles.

Just wondering, I have seen a post on club frontier for 2005-2010 X-contamination... should the model years I look at be 2011? Also, the timing chain guides and differential issues were fixed in the same 2011 year models?

Also, for a 2-3 in. lift, and bearing in mind I will be adding bumpers, what should I look at to have a smooth and quiet ride, handle washboard roads, moderate offroad/ rock sections. Are AAL frowned upon, do I get UCA's, LCA's?

And for MPG's, I do mostly highway to offroad areas (the West is best, ~230 miles to Moab, ~300 to Escalante, ~200 to Jackson, WY...all highway, though some mountain passes). I have read to expect 18-19 highway being gentle on the pedal.

Thank you for all your help guys and gals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1