thoughts on full size

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Compared to what, a dump truck??? Haha

I drive a 1/2 ton to work and sign out a 3/4 ton to drive around. I put about 20k a year on my personal truck and about 45k a year on a gov't vehicle. My posterior is well acquainted with the ride of a 3/4 ton...lol.

There is absolutely no comparison in the ride quality between the two.

There is a significant difference between a work truck spec 3/4 ton and a nicer equipped truck. Especially if that nicer truck has Carli or Thuren coils on it with larger tires that aren't inflated to 80psi... My Thuren equipped truck rides just as good as most half tons except that it doesn't bottom out on bridges on the highway.

mobydick 11

There is a significant difference between a work truck spec 3/4 ton and a nicer equipped truck. Especially if that nicer truck has Carli or Thuren coils on it with larger tires that aren't inflated to 80psi... My Thuren equipped truck rides just as good as most half tons except that it doesn't bottom out on bridges on the highway.
Can I ask what you do about the tire monitor system when you run less air pressure ? I already picked up a screw in a tire ,when the air pressure dropped to like 47 LBS the monitor took over my center dash thing . It continuously showed all 4 tire air pressure . thinking this will be a PITA in an air down situation.Thanks

crazysccrmd

Observer
Can I ask what you do about the tire monitor system when you run less air pressure ? I already picked up a screw in a tire ,when the air pressure dropped to like 47 LBS the monitor took over my center dash thing . It continuously showed all 4 tire air pressure . thinking this will be a PITA in an air down situation.Thanks

It's a pain. My 2018 Ram wants the rear pressure at 80psi which is stupid if you're not towing or hauling heavy. I just live with the TPMS light in the dash all the time and every time I start the truck it defaults to the TPMS display, after which I can select any other display.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

3500s do not alarm. I think the threshold is 10,000 GVWR. They only monitor. But there are fairly inexpensive devices that will change the TPMS setting on most trucks. I used the AEV procal on my last Ram. I have the Z Automotive device on my 2019 with a Kaodtech security bypass. These devices will allow you to fix the speedometer also.

As an aside, the new Ram HDs have a feature that allows you to set a pressure for front and rear and when you are inflating or deflating the horn will chirp when you get there. I have settings for empty and loaded. Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
It's a pain. My 2018 Ram wants the rear pressure at 80psi which is stupid if you're not towing or hauling heavy. I just live with the TPMS light in the dash all the time and every time I start the truck it defaults to the TPMS display, after which I can select any other display.

You can fix that for a couple hundred bucks...

Also shifting and mileage is improved if you set the tire size right. Not a lot of people realize that but everyone that has done it notices it.

My local GM dealership is probably a rarity, but I had them reset the TPMS psi threshold to a lower psi, and they didn't even charge me.

IPA

Observer
I've owned several full size trucks (2004 Titan, 2005 Ram 2500 CTD, and 2017 F250 with the 6.2 gas) as well as several mid size (Tacoma and Frontier) and a Jeep Wrangler 4-door JKUR as well as a 4th gen 4Runner. Yeah, for a long time I was one of those guys who didn't keep his vehicles very long. That has finally changed.

All the vehicles had their strengths and weaknesses. All had things I liked and disliked. My favorites for sure were the full sizes, even though I never towed or hauled anything heavier than dirts bikes and camping gear. I planned on keeping each one for a long time when I bought them, and wanted the capacity to tow or haul a camper in the future if I went that route.

The F250 had a super roomy and comfortable interior and I really liked the overall styling and layout. The ride was a little harsh but if I'd kept it longer I could have invested some money in some suspension upgrades to fix that. The CTD was also comfortable though less modern and more spartan than my Ford. Driving the CTD was just a blast. Probably not unlike the reasons people like driving muscle cars or sports cars. Overall, I think the full-sizes are much more comfortable and satisfying to drive than any of the smaller rigs I owned, and as a general rule in life, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a little more capability available than what you expect to use.

It isn't just about what you "need", or just about what is most efficient. Most of us don't "need" anything more than a Corolla. Most of us don't "need" all the clothes we own, all the entertainment options we have, all of our smart devices, or all the extra food we consume. Most of us don't "need" a home as big or expensive as what we have.

I find it odd that though we all live with all sorts of modern excesses and luxuries that are expensive, inefficient, and unnecessary, as soon as someone mentions buying a 3/4 ton diesel there's also a few guys that are like "that's a total waste and mistake if you aren't hauling a 15k trailer up mountain grades on the regular".

85_Ranger4x4

The nimbleness of something smaller can't be understated enough too.

I have one of each (although my F-150 is tiny by today's fullsize standards), my Ranger will make a total fool out of my F-150 on a trail. Turn radius and visibility make the F-150 look pretty bad... like almost helpless. Same goes for a parking lot if you want to get all domestic about it. Especially if you don't have angled parking stalls, you notice maneuverability is night and day different.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The nimbleness of something smaller can't be understated enough too.

I have one of each (although my F-150 is tiny by today's fullsize standards), my Ranger will make a total fool out of my F-150 on a trail. Turn radius and visibility make the F-150 look pretty bad... like almost helpless. Same goes for a parking lot if you want to get all domestic about it. Especially if you don't have angled parking stalls, you notice maneuverability is night and day different.
Agreed. If we're headed to a mall or somewhere we know parking will be tight, we leave the F150 at home and take the Tucson.

crazysccrmd

Observer
You can fix that for a couple hundred bucks...

Also shifting and mileage is improved if you set the tire size right. Not a lot of people realize that but everyone that has done it notices it.

Yeah, whenever I get around to buying new and larger tires I'll probably pair it with a recalibration. For now it's just annoying but liveable.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
i think the new 3/4-1 tons ride pretty dang good, my sensitivity meter must need resetting.

Oh yeah, and to me even the old ones ride great.

I mean, I just don’t get the complaints of a rough ride from folks driving stiff suspension 3/4 ton trucks.

For heck’s sake...it’s a truck damn it, and not only that, it’s a 3/4 ton truck...maybe even a raised up, suspension modded 4x4 3/4 ton!

To each his own (to an extent), but I want my truck to drive like a truck and I enjoy driving it exactly because it kicks like a bee stung mule every time I hit a bump in the pavement. Yee Hah! Then I know I’m driving a truck and not a soccer momma mini van.

This problem must be a city thing. So I wish the folks whining about rough riding trucks would just not buy them, stick to their SUV’s or Ridgelines and quit trying to ruin the fun for the rest of us by trying to get the auto manufacturers to destroy the utility of big trucks by complaining so much about their rough rides. Geeze....

4DBAC8BB-6924-49B5-BD5A-8CFC58C436EF.jpeg

Last edited:

jgallo1

Adventurer
I've owned several full size trucks (2004 Titan, 2005 Ram 2500 CTD, and 2017 F250 with the 6.2 gas) as well as several mid size (Tacoma and Frontier) and a Jeep Wrangler 4-door JKUR as well as a 4th gen 4Runner. Yeah, for a long time I was one of those guys who didn't keep his vehicles very long. That has finally changed.

All the vehicles had their strengths and weaknesses. All had things I liked and disliked. My favorites for sure were the full sizes, even though I never towed or hauled anything heavier than dirts bikes and camping gear. I planned on keeping each one for a long time when I bought them, and wanted the capacity to tow or haul a camper in the future if I went that route.

The F250 had a super roomy and comfortable interior and I really liked the overall styling and layout. The ride was a little harsh but if I'd kept it longer I could have invested some money in some suspension upgrades to fix that. The CTD was also comfortable though less modern and more spartan than my Ford. Driving the CTD was just a blast. Probably not unlike the reasons people like driving muscle cars or sports cars. Overall, I think the full-sizes are much more comfortable and satisfying to drive than any of the smaller rigs I owned, and as a general rule in life, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a little more capability available than what you expect to use.

It isn't just about what you "need", or just about what is most efficient. Most of us don't "need" anything more than a Corolla. Most of us don't "need" all the clothes we own, all the entertainment options we have, all of our smart devices, or all the extra food we consume. Most of us don't "need" a home as big or expensive as what we have.

I find it odd that though we all live with all sorts of modern excesses and luxuries that are expensive, inefficient, and unnecessary, as soon as someone mentions buying a 3/4 ton diesel there's also a few guys that are like "that's a total waste and mistake if you aren't hauling a 15k trailer up mountain grades on the regular".

I agree with you, Thats why I made that comment about soccer mom's driving built out lifted sprinter vans.

I actually owned a Power Wagon, it was really comfortable on and offroad. I hated it at the pump, I also hated having to back it down a step knife ridge with snow on the ground b/c I could turn it around.
As mentioned by 85_ranger4x4 the nimbleness of a small truck is unparalleled. I know that an F250 or a modern midsize will be nowhere as agile as my 2002 tacoma. The full size I am specifically looking at is a 2011 ford F250 ext cab short bed. The truck is only 4 inched wider and 6 inches longer than the double cab long bed Tacoma. I know it weighs double. The thing that I am more curious about is how much capability will I loose. How easy will it be for this large of a truck to sink in soft sand and mud etc..

tacollie

Glamper
I don't mind a firm ride but you guys have different experiences than I do with 1 ton trucks. I drove a 11' F350 for work. If it was empty you almost couldn't drive it down a semi rough road. It would bounce all over. 1200 lbs in the back and it was great. My uncle has loaded 17' GMC 3500 and it's manageable empty but not still not good.

I haven't really been in a 3/4 ton. Maybe they are a nice middle ground.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
3/4 tons are worse stock because they yell at you if you deflate the tires to a realistic pressure empty. Except for the coil rear Rams. They are better than most. My 2019 Ram stock suspension and tires rode pretty decent with 65psi all around though.

mobydick 11

I don't mind a firm ride but you guys have different experiences than I do with 1 ton trucks. I drove a 11' F350 for work. If it was empty you almost couldn't drive it down a semi rough road. It would bounce all over. 1200 lbs in the back and it was great. My uncle has loaded 17' GMC 3500 and it's manageable empty but not still not good.

I haven't really been in a 3/4 ton. Maybe they are a nice middle ground.
Well that is the main difference between a 250 and 350 from my investigating . A stock 250 has a 3 leaf spring pack and I think 3.5 axle tube .a 350 has a 5 leaf spring pack and a 4 inch axle tube . the front suspension are the same or at least rated for the same weight . A 250 with camper package has a 4 leaf spring pack ,and I have not measured the axle tube . My 250 rides good on good roads and rough on rough roads ,I am hoping once I put the SpaceKap in the back she will smooth out some . I would like to state that my belief is we should all get the- year,make, model and power choice that puts a smile on your face and that you can afford . If its a Taco or dully Diesel buy it and get out there and have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design