Tire chains specific for mud?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Tire chains specific for mud? Anyone have real life experience with using? Lots of people out there who have used in snow, but not much info on use in mud. Please post up make model experience if you use.

Thnx

colodak

Adventurer
tire chains are tire chains. I've used my chains for the semi on snow, ice and mud. They will work better for snow/ice, most of the time they work for mud. As a rule with the 4wd, if I need tire chains for mud, I'm better off using my winch.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Around here most of the oilfield trucks carry chains year round because the local oil roads turn to snot when it rains. In general, chains best suited for mud use are the HD ones with larger link size. It's not about traction, as any set of real chains (Not cable chains...) will do wonders in mud, it's about durability. Mud and associated offroad driving puts a lot more stress into the chains than snow driving. If you look, many of the chain manufacturers offer a "Mud and Snow" or "HD Mud Use" chain. It's got heavier links and will handle continued stress of getting you through.

I carry a set of medium duty chains most of the time, since we frequent the same roads, and two days of rain will render any normal 4wd immobile if it doesn't have a set of chains. When I lived closer to WY, I noticed that the hunters did the same in the fall, just in case they got into the back country and it snowed or even just rained a lot. You're not going to winch 20 miles back to civilization, but chain up and you can drive back through amazing amounts of snow and mud.

Here's why my truck is back on 265's, which will just clear chains... This was near Casper, WY, with a new set of 285 BFB AT's.

It was a dry road when we started down it, and then it started to rain. We went about 10 miles total, all in 4wd, slipping from side to side and trying not to end up in the ditch. I came down a long hill sideways, with the front of the truck in the middle of the road and the back in the grass and dirt, just praying that it didn't get dragged off farther. Though I was impressed that the BFG's got me though, chains would have helped immensely. You don't get this kind of snot after a rain in the midwest, where "dirt" roads are actually gravel, but out here in the wild wild west, dirt roads are dirt and clay, and they're a mess if they're wet for long...

Winching will get you through a "mud hole", but I don't think that's what the OP is talking about... I invite you try winching down 20 miles of snot slick desert road with nothing in sight but low scrub. Good luck!!
Chris

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I guess my chains are HD mud & snow because they are USMC surplus H-1 chains cut down to fit 35x12.50-17s. Grabbed them when I had the chance but have never had to use them. Bought four, and they weigh a lot (seems like about 50 pounds per pair in the bags, but have not weighed them).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
For those of you using vbar's, I currently have a set of "standard" 7mm hardened twisted chain link in a diamond pattern;
olympiasprint-white_4.jpg

But as I get more into search and rescue efforts, and also have a heavier rig than I used to, I'm concerned these "standard" twisted link chain aren't going to cut it in mud and deeper snow or ice. So I've been talking with TireChain.com(fantastic service BTW, highly recommended) about their 7mm square boron alloy or their 7.14mm vbar's. Both they say aren't for highway use(30mph max) as it'll tear up the road(I don't plan on driving on these chains very often, only when isht hits the fan).

Square boron;
BoronSquarelg.jpg

Vbar;
2800large.jpg

Sounds like the vbar's are the ultimate setup. Any reason to go with the square boron instead?

Thanks for the help guys.
Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Bobmog

Observer
Rudd

We use Rudds all year round. Tight in snow loose in mud.

Attachments

• DSC00320.jpg
    DSC00320.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 28

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The ones I pictured above are Olympia Sprint's--close to RUD's I believe.
Thx for the info. Interesting you run them looser in mud. No damage to the chains?

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I ve always ran Peerless Chains. Cables are worthless on anything but cars. Up here in Wyoming, we have this stuff called Bentonite...It sucks! literally. it sucks you into the ditch, into a tree, into a washout, into a fence. so if it rains or snow melts on a bentonite road, the only way you are getting anywhere is with a set of chains. you cant winch on a sagebrush plant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal