Tire choice struggle.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Just to throw another option at you, I'll add this. If I read your first post correctly, you currently have 17" rims but also have 16's? If you do have the 17" rims now, pick up a set of the Rubicon take offs that are all over craigslist for about $500 for a set. BFG MT 255/75/17. They are MT's, but as someone that has had Cooper ST's and now BFG MT's in 255/85/16 size, my BFG MT's are not louder, easier to balance, and are wearing more evenly with more offroad use.

Just FYI you can buy them new on tire rack for almost that cheap as well. ;)

I would considered a set for short term use if I end up with a trd sport (17" factory wheels).

Edit: price now $169 each. Pretty sure they were $139 just the other day. Either way not a bad option if you find a cheap set.

austintaco

Explorer
I had never priced that size new, but I kept seeing them on CL every week and wanted to kick myself for having 16's. Granted, I like the the look and performance of my current set up, but I could probably do 99% of anything I have attempted with a size smaller.

birdmann

Observer
I am downsizing my rims for a reason though, I want more sidewall without going to tall on overall size. I know the common think to do is go with 33's on the 17's. That's just not my bag. I'm not in to cutting fenders and hammering pinch welds flat. I would like to stay at or below a 32 inch tire. I do appreciate the many different views and input, let's keep that rolling. Like I said I'm no expert and would like to hear as many first hand opinions as possible. As I said before, my 265/70 17 highway tires did amazing in my current AO. However, I see a need for a tougher sidewall, as well as tread that will get me through what my adventures will throw at me. I'm leaning towards the cooper simply for there reputation for being tough. They are also a true 32" tall tire, I like that I think it will work well for me. Again I am still considering the new ko2 in the same 265/75/16 size. They are a little shorter coming in at 31.6 or so and a little less tread depth. Having had a set of ko's on my XJ I have confidence in their toughness. We are talking less than a half inch difference, not really much. SO, my reall issue is the extra four pounds per tire for the ko2. People say the cooper is heavy and stiff. I think any offroad tire worth a damn is heavy and stiff. Let the debate continue!

pillguy

Observer
I just got toyo MT 255/85/16s for my 97 4runner 4.10 gears automatic. I only got to drive them a few miles as my radiator has given out on me and I have to change it out. I will tell you they are much quieter than the maxxis big horns they replaced. I have a set of street tires in one size bigger than stock and with either set of tires, the truck is slower given the armor on it, etc.
I agree with the other posters, life is too short for small tires, so I got MTs for the GA mud we deal with down here.

p nut

butter
... life is too short for small tires...

I don't even know what that means. I had 33's on my LC. Sold now, but would've gone back down to 31-32". If I get a new Tacoma, I'm going up to 32" max, but maybe even stay with stock sizing. Just me, though. A neighbor has an old Ranger with a custom body on 37's. The thing looks pretty cool, I'll admit.

birdmann

Observer
I'm going for function over form, and I'll admit I'm still torn. I am even now considering 235/85r16. The type of terrain I travel I have no need or want for a wide heavy m/t. I'm currently comparing and researching the general grabber at2 with the Goodrich a/t ko2. I had 32/11.50 ko's on my XJ and loved them. Got damn near 60k out of them. Never tore a sidewall never got a puncture or rolled a bead. So bfg has earned my trust. But the price point of the generals, along with similar build quality and design makes them hard not to consider. Ive still got more than enough tread on my current set-up and plenty of time before jamboree. So I will continue to read and research and hopefully get more educated opinions from folks on here! Once I've got rubber on steal I'll update this thread with photos, I know yous kids loves your photos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1