To FZJ80 or not

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Are the 100's as well built as the 80's? I've always heard that the 80's were built like a 3/4ton vehicle.

In short, yes I believe they are built as well. Once you get past the IFS vs. SFA and weak front diff (mitigated by ARB locker). They were built for a slightly different segment of the market compared to the 80, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are any less well built.

hoser

Explorer
Are the 100's as well built as the 80's? I've always heard that the 80's were built like a 3/4ton vehicle.
They are both very well built. Many 100 series owner envy the SFA, FF axles and maybe the styling of the 80. 80 series owner might envy the 100 series V-8 engine, 5-sp transmission, A-TRAC/VSC, and overall comfort of the 100 series. The 80 is more utilitarian... and that is preferred by many as well.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Besides all of the obvious reasons to love this vehicle, I'm in need of a 7 seater SUV that can handle mild to moderate offroad duties.

Clearly the FZJ80 fits the bill. But what other vehicles should I be considering?

As an XJ owner, with a family of 5 that often swells to 7 when grandparents are around, I can say these things about a few budget-minded, pre-owned 7-seaters I've looked at recently:

Series one disco: feels smaller inside than my XJ, 3rd row side-facing jumpseats are totally rudimentary.
Series two disco: Bit bigger, but all the ones I've sat in are busted, broken and leaking in some way or another. Sketchy reliability
Montero first, second, Second point five generation: Very comfy, roomy, and quiet. 3rd row is for kids only, but that's what i have, and they loved it. 3rd row gets slider windows. Good motors with stupid design features like spark plugs below the intake manifold and oil seals that leak prematurely(only certain motors).
FJ80: Comfy, quiet, smoothish ride, thirsty motor, about as slow as a 1st generation 4runner, these trucks are stout, but do not be fooled by the "designed to last a 1/2 million myth out there". If not maintained, they're money-pits, just like any other rig, also, major upgrades like bumpers, lifts, sliders, etc are VERY expensive compared to many other brands. fj80 w/roof rack and 33's = 10-12mpgs, period. haha! That said, my dad could get about 17 or so, on trips with stock-sized tires, OME lift, an NO exterior mods. He had a ton of issues with a 4wd system that was not used enough by the previous owner. replaced dried up u-joints, CV swivel boots, tcase solonoids, etc, etc...mostly due to lack of use according to his mechanic and people on mud who commented on his rig's issues.
Early suburban or travelall: big, strong, noisy, thirsty, reliable, simple, huge cargo hold. Most will hold 7-8 with 3 benches.
FJ100: comfy, classy, big vehicle, tough, no issues during ownership, tough to get desert pinstripes on, expensive and somewhat limited aftermarket. Great vehicle. Much better suited to US driving than the FJ80, plus 20mpgs on a trip is easy to do with a stock truck that is tuned up.

Last edited:

ddog45

Adventurer
I have a 100 series in longmont that I want to sell. Its been great its just a little big for what I like to do.
D

phsycle

Adventurer
For what you're doing, I'd go with a 2000+ 100-series. Great power, A-TRAC is awesome, super comfortable, and reliable. After 10-hour drives, it's surprising how much LESS I'm tired/beat up compared to a smaller rig (4Runner, Cherokee, etc.). Will handle your mild/moderate trails no problem. I don't do any hardcore rock crawling, so a rear locker is not a selling point for me. I have hardly used it in my other truck and I take that on some rough trails. A-TRAC is much more useful to me.

fjc8871

Observer
How much cargo will you carry with a full passenger load of 7? Most vehicles in the size you are comparing have very little cargo area with the third row in place. Tucked away or folded will get you cargo room.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
How much cargo will you carry with a full passenger load of 7? Most vehicles in the size you are comparing have very little cargo area with the third row in place. Tucked away or folded will get you cargo room.

See this was my thinking until recently, too. I've come to the conclusion that with 7 seats being used, a trailer is mandated, if you want to maintain your fuel range. Even with a family of 5, 7 seats allows for moody kids/teenagers being able to scoot to a backseat to be alone for a while, making for a much happier brood during travel and @ your destination.

Having pulled our small 4x8 cargo trailer around for a few years now, it absolutely does nothing to impede anything I'm doing other than preclude me from some parking situations (parallel street parking, parking structures, etc).

I only lose about 1mpg in my jeep (about 17-18 mpgs or so), and I think with NOTHING on the roof of a stock fj100 or montero, you could easily get around 15mpgs/16mpgs respectively. That way, too, you could ACTUALLY carry everything you need for a few weeks of overlanding.

zimm

Expedition Leader
a 100 has a stiffer frame and bigger brakes. more modern construction and safety features for the family. better motor. nicer interior, and as noted you can drive it alllllll dayyyyyyy. very little fatigue, if any. there really isnt any competition from an 80. if you can find a one, cheap, get the 5 speed auto. early is a 4 speed.

as for add on goodies, its equal with the 80. check out bumpit offroad. http://www.bumpitoffroad.com/products/100/100sitemap.html

right now im having him fab up a full armor kit with a drop down brush guard for lexus hood clearance/game carrier, and a rear winch tucked up where the tire was. just got off the phone, hes a concientious guy with a proven track record of completing work hes commissioned to do, for much less than slee.

you can lift it, or not. i have 33's and no where near rubbing. if you have AHC you can poor man lift it with a 1" adjustment to the sensors and a torsion bar crank. if had to pick that, or my G, the G would go.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I only lose about 1mpg in my jeep (about 17-18 mpgs or so), and I think with NOTHING on the roof of a stock fj100 or montero, you could easily get around 15mpgs/16mpgs respectively. That way, too, you could ACTUALLY carry everything you need for a few weeks of overlanding.

anyone that claims more than 15mpg on any regular basis with a 100 lies. as i said before, it cant get more than 15 miles per gallon if the mile it traveled was being tossed from a c130.

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
A discovery SE7 CAN seat 7 but only as an occasional option. It is not for long term or regular use. Do not consider as a realistic option.

primarily because it will only occasionally run...

What year(s)?

all the years that break.

we have a 2002 we've had since new and it recently definitively kicked the bucket at 92,000 miles. I towed it home with my 204,000 miles 80 series.

I may replace it with as nice a 100 as I can afford, or since its my wife's truck, we may go a different route, If there was a way to put a vortec in it, I'd keep it forever.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
anyone that claims more than 15mpg on any regular basis with a 100 lies. as i said before, it cant get more than 15 miles per gallon if the mile it traveled was being tossed from a c130.

Hey Zimm, got nothin' but respect for you, sir, and I shy away from "spouting" things I'm not familiar with. The 100 series I'm familiar with was my dad's. His truck was completely stock, and rather well maintained and using all the normal proceedures (checking mileage via GPS, etc) would regularly get around 15-16mpgs in normal driving.

Maybe my expectation that a 100 series could pull a trailer and maintain that mileage is a bit optimistic? I'll definitely concede that fact. He never had the need as all his kids are grow'd up, and he only ever needed the front seats.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Hey Zimm, got nothin' but respect for you, sir, and I shy away from "spouting" things I'm not familiar with. The 100 series I'm familiar with was my dad's. His truck was completely stock, and rather well maintained and using all the normal proceedures (checking mileage via GPS, etc) would regularly get around 15-16mpgs in normal driving.

Maybe my expectation that a 100 series could pull a trailer and maintain that mileage is a bit optimistic? I'll definitely concede that fact. He never had the need as all his kids are grow'd up, and he only ever needed the front seats.

15-16 is a statistical null with what im saying. it gets 15 downhill, uphill, pulling a trailer, or empty. what i make fun of those that say they see 18. it just simply doesnt happen.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
15-16 is a statistical null with what im saying. it gets 15 downhill, uphill, pulling a trailer, or empty. what i make fun of those that say they see 18. it just simply doesnt happen.

Ah, 10-4. I see what you're saying.

hks3sgte

César Gómez

My '04 gets over 15mpg all day.... on a flat highway.
12-14 city...

but who's counting?

ScottyDog

Adventurer
I get 41 in my 80.... pffft!

LOL.. 41 liters = 11mpg. Sorry thought I'd try my hand at injecting some humor.:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design