To the Arctic Ocean via the Dalton Road

geovalue

Adventurer
POOF and THERE GOES OUR AIR RIDE HOSE

You all know it, drive fast you break fast, drive slow, you break slow. So we arrived after some bumpy roads and when Tom was checking the truck he noticed the airbags had shifted. Fortunately we found a mechanic Huaraz and they managed to identify the problem and replace the airhose which seemed to have be sliced. I am sure it was the speed bump Tom hit and not me.

Checking Nissan Out
6-16.jpg

Bad Air Hose
7-18.jpg

I got the speeding ticket and of course the radar gun showing me my speed. Well we talked ourselves out of that and I am quite sure that I was not going that fast and it was a scam.

We drove up into the Andes and from sea level to over 13,000 ft in a day, a beautiful drive.
4-21.jpg

Andes
5-18.jpg

We met some fellow Swiss overlanders in Chan Chan. They told us their trucks could not go over 13,000 ft because of loss of power. They had to be towed once they reached that height

1-48.jpg

2-26.jpg

Safe travels always

VicHanson

Adventurer
Great to see the video of the road into Peru. I lived there for 6 years and never learned to not pray on the mountain roads! I was in Cotahuasi Canyon, in S. Peru, about 10 hours from Arequipa. Everywhere we went from there was on roads like the one you showed. Thankfully there wasn't much traffic on them. Cotahuasi is a beautiful place, off the normal tourist path, unlike Colca Canyon, it's nearby, but much more famous neighbor. If you are interested in reading more about them, go to summitpost.org, search my pages there via the link in my signature below. You will also find a link on the Cotahuasi page to the Colca page. I have a bunch oh climbing stuff there but also hiking. I would really recommend the Choquequirao to Machu Picchu hike if you like hiking. I also would be happy to share any info or contacts there if that would be of any help. Oh, not sure what was wrong with their truck but I drove a gasoline Nissan wagon all over there, up to 16,000 feet with no problem. Even diesel Toyota vans without turbos had no problem, but the turbo does help give more power. I was at over 17,000 with my turbo Mitsubishi van.

Last edited:

geovalue

Adventurer
Suspension Issues

We had not even planned to spend a day in Huaraz and here we are into our 3rd night. That is the joy of overlanding, always the unexpected and meeting great people Mechanics!
So after some more checking it seems both our Firestone air ride bags have had their ride and day in the sun. No replacement in Huaraz although they say they can add another leaf spring and that would be just as good. So we debate what to do. Any suggestions or contacts in Lima for us would be much appreciated.

Safe travels all

geovalue

Adventurer
Can't help you in Lima. Alex Mechanica in La Paz is good should you need work in Bolivia.

Thanks but we have decided to drive to Lima tomorrow and find a mechanic who can assist us. Oh the joys of international travel!

Lima is a city of over 8 million and we had not intended to travel through Lima so it should be interesting navigating through this city!

While Tom was busy with the Mechanics I managed to update our blog

http://www.adventurouspirits.com/peru-archaeological-wonders-and-andes-mountains/

No archaeology update in the next blog just what happened in Lima.

Safe travels all

geovalue

Adventurer
4X4 Service in Lima Peru

We arrived in Lima and wow were met by the most chaotic traffic we have encountered in a long time. Both decided driving in Lima is worse than driving in Cairo!!

We took our truck to a 4X4 service company called Fire Wheels and they hoisted the Nissan up and all huddled underneath deciding on what to do.

8-22.jpg

They seemed to be really knowledgeable and we heard they helped modify a vehicle which represented Peru in the Dakar rally. They recommended we put in another leaf spring which they did and as well will install a new set of rear air bags. Unfortunately they did not have any Firestone air ride bags the correct size so we are waiting in Lima for them to be sent from the States.

New Leaf Spring Added
2-28.jpg

We have spoken to several locals and all agree we have the Nissan with the best mechanics in Peru. In fact they told us there are only 9 Nissan Titans in Peru.

We were not planning to stay in Lima but because of the truck we are here and have discovered it is a vibrant city, the locals are friendly and we are pleased we did not miss out on visiting Lima

Lima
17-7.jpg

We have updated our blog
http://www.adventurouspirits.com/we-drove-in-lima-and-survived/

Anyone for Chicken?
4-22.jpg

Safe travels all

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Enjoy Lima! FYI, it is the anniversary of the rediscovery of the Machu Picchu ruins and there is a tremendous display of historic photos at one of the local museums.

geovalue

Adventurer
Highlights of Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama

Enjoy Lima! FYI, it is the anniversary of the rediscovery of the Machu Picchu ruins and there is a tremendous display of historic photos at one of the local museums.

We are enjoying Lima it is an exciting city and are somewhat pleased we got to see the city we were planning on avoiding! That is what we love about overlanding, you plan a route and think you choose the road but really the road chooses you!

It has been good for us to stay still awhile and catch up on many things, such as our videos. So here is Tom's latest video the Highlights of Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. Enjoy as there are many overlanders included in this video including some blogging on "In Progress Adventures"

Safe travels

geovalue

Adventurer
Still Waiting in Lima

We are still waiting in Lima for the parts to arrive so we can replace the air ride bags on our Nissan. We have found ourselves exploring a city that we actually had no plans of even stopping in, but to our delight is actually is a fascinating city. And if ever you need a rally driver look no further than a Lima taxi driver! Some of these guys are amazing at how they drive through the chaotic traffic of Lima.

Central Lima
26-1.jpg

We have walked miles and miles across this city discovering both the wonders and agonies. There is plenty of wealth and plenty of poverty in this city of 8 million. We have visited the museum which has the most amazing collection of Pre Inca erotic art! (pictures on our Flikr) We joined a hiking club for a 10km hike through a town and the surroundings.

Hiking Through the Dusty Hills
1-50.jpg

Pre Inca Art
6-18.jpg

The Peruvians have been wonderful to us but we are getting a little restless and want to get back on the road. We heard the parts are in the Lima customs so are hopeful we will be back on the road next week.

We have updated our blog, with some experiences, thoughts and photos of the city of Lima

http://www.adventurouspirits.com/tom-says-i-am-too-crabby/

Safe travels all

geocrzy

Existing under the radar
New to expidition portal, I have enjoyed reading about your adventure, looking at all the pictures and watching the great videos! You guys look like your having a blast! I know its kinda late but im subscribing. Looking forward to the next post!

geovalue

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments and pleased you enjoy our photos and videos. Excellent news the air bags are being installed as I write so we will be leaving Lima within a few hours. Had a great time in Lima but time to get back on the road. Nasca Lines here we come!

geovalue

Adventurer
Colombia Video

Our journey from Lima across the desert and then inland across the Andes was spectacular. We arrived in Cuzco this evening and are camped with several overlanders.

We have posted our video of our journey across Colombia a country with some of the most friendly people we have ever met and a beautiful country. So hope you enjoy the video. We will be updating our photos of our journey from Lima to Cuzco later this weekend.

Safe travels all

geovalue

Adventurer
We Climb the Andes and Reach Cuzco

Paracas National Reserve, a great wilderness protection area was stunning. As we drove across the desolate and barren, landscape of shifting sands and coloured exposed rocks we felt a surge of wonder at nature and wildlife. It is has one of the highest concentration of marine birds in the world.
28Peru.jpg

3-27.jpg

At the tiny fishing village of Lagunilla we watched fishermen bringing in their catch of the day. We sat on the deck of a restaurant savouring the best fish we have ever had while watching seals play in the waves and 100s of birds chattering and flying around. No doubt about it we love nature, wildlife and wilderness.
1-51.jpg

The Nazca lines are one of the great mysteries of South America. Who drew these series of geometric designs and animal figures into the stony plains of Nazca? We climbed up the tall metal tower located besides the PanAm Highway to see the hands and upside down tree Nazca lines.
9-14.jpg

Driving up the Andes Mountains towards Cuzco we past two heavily laden cyclists. We hooted encouragement and then pulled over. It turned out that Matt was from Edmonton Alberta and was surprised to see Alberta registration plates so far from home. He was traveling with another Matt from the USA.
10-12.jpg

The road seemed to climb up forever and soon the GPS showed that we were approaching 15000 feet, where the air is thin. We actually reached 14,998 and I said if we put the GPS on the roof it will read 15,000’. The air conditioner struggled to work so we turned it off. The Andes are truly one of the great natural features of the planet, and seem so different from the Rockies.
15-11.jpg

At one village we were met by a children’s parade with marching bands. What a treat.
12-13.jpg

Look who we shared our campsite with in Cuzco
27-2.jpg

We have updated our blog. What Every Traveler Should Know About GPS and Maps
http://www.adventurouspirits.com/what-every-traveller-should-know-about-gps-and-maps/

Safe travels all

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Love your pictures ...

bring back lots of memories. That tower at Nazca was there in 1976. There was no campsite near Cuszco, so we stayed at the Hotel Virrey, one of the buildings in the background, opposite the church. Our dog was ill and after we called a local vet, the hotel owner insisted that the dog stay in the hotel, even brought him a hot water bottle.

Eagerly awaiting even more photos! Safe travels!

FBC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1