Toyota Hilux Global Galaxy Diesel Hi/Low 4x4, Dual Rear Wheel - for sale

WorldTripper

Greetings all,

Sadly selling my 1988 Toyota Hilux Global Galaxy. It is a strong fiberglass shell on a 2.4 diesel full 4x4 dual rear wheel walkthrough design, and is factory built. Even the motorhome glass is Toyota etched. If you do the research you will find how truly rare this vehicle is, and how respected and admired they are. To date over many searches I have only found evidence of another 5 of these world wide, prove me wrong. It can be parked in any conventional parking space ie. Used as a car and has everything you need.
Total Dimensions – Length 5.7m, Width 2.1m, Height 2.85m. Internal height – 1.88m
The list of motorhome section features are as follows:
4 berth – Double bed above Cab easily accessible at 1m from internal floor level with good height clearance above at 80cm, and the front section can clamshell open/up for even more height although we have not found it*necessary but it is cool. Dinette and lounge convert to 2 kids singles or further to a second double.
Kitchen with Sink, Fridge 12v&240v, 2 burner gas cooktop and rangehood, Cupboards.
Full internal Shower with Hot & Cold water pre select temp – Porta Potti toilet.
Dinette seating for 4, side lounge seating for 3.
240v inlet & 3 x dual double pole 240v outlets internal via an RCD. Complied.
Original 110v cabling has been converted to extra 12v outlets Merrit Plug type. Can be restored to 110v by changing back to US style outlet.
160w roof mount Solar with BP controller.
2 x new batteries, 1 x Starter & 1 x House – ability to add 2nd*or even 3rd*house battery.
Narva relay unit to prevent drain of Starter battery, so always good to go.
2 x 50l water tanks - Hot water fed by heat transfer from engine. Space under rear floor for extra tanks for fresh/grey or even black should you decide. Even room for a generator.
Rear Aircon & Heater units from engine.
External tap outlets for hot & cold water.
LED lights throughout.
Plenty of overhead cupboards and under seat storage.
12v TV/DVD combo with signal booster and remote control aerial (direction rotate)
New Curtains. Fly screens on all windows.
4m Fiamma awning.
New window tints. Fly screens on windows.
Walkthrough design – bed above cab can be folded back to allow greater access between cab and motorhome.
I believe it has been a non smoking vehicle all it's life.
Overall in very good condition and has been re upholstered at some point, but you may choose to update.
List of Hilux base & mechanicals as follows:
1988 Hilux 2.4 Diesel full 4x4 dual rear wheel. Auto locking hubs, hi/low range. 5 speed box. The dual rear wheels make this really well planted on the road with good stability. Cruise at 2700rpm for 100kph.
116,900 k’s total distance travelled (Current) approx 72,000miles.
Within the last 6,000k’s it has had – New Glow Plugs – New Injectors – New Timing Belt – Reconditioned Brake & Clutch master cylinders, Reconditioned Fuel & Water pumps, New alternator (Note: US – ‘generator’), New Oil & Fuel Filters, all fluids drained and flushed including gearbox & diffs etc. 6 x New AT Tyres. Spare in good condition. All work was maintenance & prevention, no faults.
Reversing camera with screen mounted to rear view mirror, ability to add a second camera input. Auto engages with reverse or a manual override switch if you want to use while in forward gears.
Power steering.
Cab aircon.
Basic CD Radio.
New window tints.
Sunraysia Rims but with hub caps fitted with front hubs exposed.
Workshop and owners manuals.
Known history:
This vehicle was imported from Japan in 2003 into Australia and registered in SA (currently still SA registered but expires 15/04). The owner sadly passed away a few years later and it sat in a shed for approx. 4 years until being taken on by the prior owner to me who was a friend of the original family. He is a motorhome enthusiast and has a gorgeous 10.5m Hino motorhome that he self built, and restores 1970's & 80's motorbikes for a living to an unbelieveable standard. Upon taking this vehicle on he set about a meticulous re commissioning of it as detailed in the list above including the solar installation etc. He took this on intending to use for smaller trips however he liked to have all of his toys with him all of the time (including welders, benches, large tool kits etc etc) and ended up not using it that often so decided to sell to me after one year.*
I searched for quite a while to come up with this motorhome that ticked all the boxes for me. Dimensions, vehicle base type, driveline, motorhome facilities, condition, uniqueness etc etc. It really is a special thing. Everybody admires and enquires about it as you never see another. After extensive conversations with the prior owner, and many photographs etc I travelled from Northern NSW to SA to view and buy it, then drove it 1993k’s home over 2 ½ days and it ran faultlessly across the Barrier Highway, past Tamworth up over the range (mountains) and down the other side to home. If you are not from Australia that really is quite the drive!! It used no oil or coolant during the trip, and leaves zero trace of any drops on the ground. It does not blow any smoke on start up or even under load. Temperature and oil pressure remain constant. Starts on first click. Fuel consumption was 249litres so economy is 8kpl or 12.5litre per 100k – Approx 18.8mpg (US Gallon) or 22.59mpg (UK Gallon). Very good considering the terrain involved.
During the run a large storm overtook us with high winds and heavy rains and it handled really well where caravans and other motorhomes were not coping at all. The dual rear wheels really make a difference. Steering is tight and gearbox is smooth. No Driveline whiplash at all, zero! I would literally drive this around Australia now and not be concerned. The pure uncomplicated and endurance tested mechanicals are reassuring. Parts are common and cheap.
The full true 4x4 facility allows you to go confidently where others cannot, and mean that you never concern yourself when you are parked on grass and hear that rain begin to fall, you will always get out. It is a pleasure to drive and is really solid. It is no rocket ship (even though it has that look) but gets along very nicely.
Exterior:
It does have some cosmetic faults and imperfections but these are easily solvable and just something I have not had time to attend to in my short ownership. The gold around the base has seen better days and has scratches from lawn mowers passing it during it’s time in storage, and there is a paint defect on the bonnet. I was going to change the gold to a metallic silver anyway. The sealant that fills the join between the wheel arch flares and main body has dried and cracked and has been partially dug out to replace prior to prep & repaint of gold section, again this is cosmetic only. The main fiberglass shell is intact but has the occasional mark to be touched up. The tent section for the clamshell is intact. I accidentally left it out from undercover one night during the recent very heavy storms and driving rains as well as the storm on the drive home and can testify to it’s absolute watertightness, I checked everywhere. There is no damp odour at all. No rust is evident anywhere, chassis or body. Not been on beach or salted roads.
For non Australian buyers I am prepared to drive to your appointed shippers nominated depot - try Lismore NSW or GoldCoast QLD as locations, this would save many $$'s in local transport. For a further $100AUD I could take to Brisbane QLD. For extra piece of mind you can google for mechanics/service centres in Bangalow or Byron Bay NSW and I will take it there for an independent inspection and report at your cost but will refund this if subsequently purchased.

Price: AUD$22,000 negotiable - approx USD$16,500

Attachments

• IMG_5013.jpeg
    IMG_5013.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_4874.jpeg
    IMG_4874.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_4866.JPG
    IMG_4866.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_4872.JPG
    IMG_4872.JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_4873.jpeg
    IMG_4873.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_5003.jpg
    IMG_5003.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_5011.jpg
    IMG_5011.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_4928.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_5004.jpg
    IMG_5004.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_5006.jpg
    IMG_5006.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 500

WorldTripper

Not sure why some pics have uploaded sideways though. If you tilt your head it gets better.

I have done some videos for those that are truly interested in purchasing, pm me.

60toyetero

Adventurer
IMG_4576.jpg

This baby finally made it to the USA. Can't wait to get her all decked out! Awesome seller to work with, still in touch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1