Toyota Losing it's Mojo?

rruff

Explorer
....failed timing chain guides on the 22re
Ya, that was a really dumb design change. I finally replaced mine in a parking lot at Bryce Canyon when it had near 200k miles. Luckily since I had an '84 the housing was big enough to accept the previous generation's chain and guides.

Another dumb thing at ~80k miles was the oil pressure sender exploding. All the oil left the engine in a minute. I was offroad and the music was on, and I didn't notice until the clatter got so loud it overwhelmed everything else. Luckily I had a MTB I used to ride into town and get the part and oil.

What else... head gasket or something early on, covered under warranty. EFI fuel pump at ~200k, the only time I needed help (friendly tow into town). A couple water pumps and alternators. Starter motor. Had a '86 later that had a strange issue... took forever to figure that out. Ended up being a "fuel pulsation damper", which I fixed by removing it and putting a bolt in the hole!

The nice thing was that parts were cheap, it was easy to work on, and that truck took a lot of abuse without breaking.

bkg

Explorer
I'm a bit of a fan boy. I currently own 3 tacoma's and a GX.
But I doubt I'll ever buy anything new from Toyota... Sure, some of them look nice and have great specs on paper... but prices are too high, reliability too low... I'll stick w/ my current collection.

bkg

Explorer
That's a great perspective. I agree that Toyota will certainly take care of you better than any other manufacturer when things do go wrong. Thanks for the response!

Not all Tacoma frames were replaced. There are some Toyota tundra owners on their 3rd engine…. For an issue Toyota claims was solved a long time ago.

Toyota doesn’t take any better care of the consumer than any other mfg… Toyota owners just think they do. And that may be all that is needed. Overton Window plays a role here

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Not all Tacoma frames were replaced. There are some Toyota tundra owners on their 3rd engine…. For an issue Toyota claims was solved a long time ago.

Toyota doesn’t take any better care of the consumer than any other mfg… Toyota owners just think they do. And that may be all that is needed. Overton Window plays a role here
From my personal experience Toyota absolutely takes better care of warranty issues than domestics.

bkg

Explorer
You are saying someone has had 2 engines replaced and all 3 failed?
Yes... there are some new Tundra owners on their 3rd engine. The new V6 TT may look good on paper, but too many dying in the wild. I expect that 100k recall count to grow.
It's not "preventative" replacement. It's "oh crap... "

Again, Overton Window. As long as Toyota owners "believe" and/or "feel" like Toyota cares, that's all that matters. Perception is everything.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yes... there are some new Tundra owners on their 3rd engine. The new V6 TT may look good on paper, but too many dying in the wild. I expect that 100k recall count to grow.
It's not "preventative" replacement. It's "oh crap... "

Again, Overton Window. As long as Toyota owners "believe" and/or "feel" like Toyota cares, that's all that matters. Perception is everything.
My brothers new TT V6 has been flawless- the letter he has says he will be getting a new engine even though it’s fine- ford or Chevy wouldn’t do that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1