trasharoo improvement/changes thread

off-roader

Expedition Leader
How about a couple accessory side bags for the rear spare that I could throw my 2 camp chairs in (1 on each side)?

Each would attach to the closest Trasharoo strap up top and have a strap on the bottom that wraps around the circumference of the spare to help secure the bottom of the bag from flapping around.

And speaking of better UV-resistance, I love my Trasharoo, but I'm starting to wonder how long before I have to buy a new one because of the way the straps are aging...

P1020337.jpg

P1020336.jpg

Still not sure what caused this spot as it's nowhere near any hot spot on the vehicle and it's not like I've ever carried a lit BBQ pit on my cargo carrier.
P1020335.jpg

I know that UV exposure in the AZ/CA sunshine can't be any milder than here in TX, but I'm figuring I need to find some kind of UV-resistant spray-on coating for the next one I buy.

P1020334.jpg

P1020339.jpg

P1020338.jpg

And I will be buying another because I love my Trasharoo. Heck, I've had it long enough that I get in trouble with my compadres if I don't have it when we go shooting/to the beach/cookouts/whatever... "Dude, WTH? Did you forget THE trash bag? Why don't you just leave that thing on?" OMG, you mean we're just gonna have to use a normal bag now? Oh no! :ylsmoke: Nobody else has a rear-mounted spare either, such is my lot in life, lol.

I've only had my bag for a month here on CO and it looks that way too. Unfortunately I don't think theres too much that can be done to fix it. A more expense die would raise the price but after awhile it all starts looking that way. The good news is just because it's faded doesn't make it weaker. It will take a while before it starts to break down. Even if these things had to be replaced yearly their worth it.

barlowrs

Explorer
Stronger stitching where the straps meet the bag. Mine just failed with a single bundle of fire wood in it and disintegrated.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
i do love that bag ,i put stuff i cant find a place for ,tire wrench ,skimboard for the boys when on the coast ..but the fj does not have a swing out tire its mounted to the door ,a pain in the but to put on ..if you have a fj or its door mounted tire ,i added 3 washers to the studs to push the tire out just that much so i could get my hand behind to strap it in ..but do feel could the tightening points could be improved ?more like a tie down strap ?i also have added a strap under the tire to keep tension on the bag .....

It is a bit of a pain to get on the door mounted spare. Moving the buckles to the bottom would solve that. Just be sure to leave enough room for a cable lock inbetween the stitching on the bag and buckle. Just having one on there should keep most low life's from stealing it. Not much point in taking it if you have to destroy it in the process.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
i do love that bag ,i put stuff i cant find a place for ,tire wrench ,skimboard for the boys when on the coast ..but the fj does not have a swing out tire its mounted to the door ,a pain in the but to put on ..if you have a fj or its door mounted tire ,i added 3 washers to the studs to push the tire out just that much so i could get my hand behind to strap it in ..but do feel could the tightening points could be improved ?more like a tie down strap ?i also have added a strap under the tire to keep tension on the bag .....

I had to put one of these on my FJC so the tire would clear my hitch carrier - http://www.warriorproducts.com/catalog/07-12-toyota-fj-cruiser/brackets/spare-tire-spacer/

WarriorProductsSpareTireSpacer.jpg

The byproduct is that with an extra two inches of clearance behind the OE-size tire it is much easier to wash that grimy area and to tighten the straps on my Trasharoo. The spare tire no longer tries to rub the skin off my arm when I am reaching in there. Still, it would be easier if the buckles were right at the bottom...

P1010814.jpg

Last edited:

barlowrs

Explorer
The page advertises hauling firewood and a 50 lb load limit. a single bundle of ralphs wood is less than 10 lbs. (http://www.trasharoo.com/iWeb/TRASHAROO /Uses.html)

Dont get me wrong, not knocking the bag, I used the heck out of mine for over a year, but it did finally fail me. So as a suggestion, I was simply stating the stitching where the straps connect is what failed, therefore maybe they can be beefed up.

TRASHaroo?

Isn't firewood way heavier that you'd want to carry in a Trasharoo??

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Many people, Dave included, have talked about commonly hauling firewood in their Trasharoo, but I toss that kind of stuff on the hitch carrier or inside the back, myself. Heaviest load I think I've carried in the Trasharoo was about 80lbs of recently-deceased pig (with some ice thrown on top), in three or four different 3mil bags. Granted, that was a much softer load than any firewood.

Last edited:

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Big bold red letters on the underside of the flap that say "PLACE TRASH IN TRASHBAG". That's my biggest problem with the Trasharoo, people carelessly toss nasty trash in it right on top of the heavy duty trash bag I always put in mine... :mad: :sombrero:

I switched to metal hardware about a year ago and couldn't be happier. That said, if I were in a wet climate I would want plastic. I'd say leave it as-is, it's easy enough for the desert dwellers to switch out the plastic for aluminum as needed.

I picked up the metal buckles from: http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Release_Buckle_p/msrb-a.htm

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The page advertises hauling firewood and a 50 lb load limit. a single bundle of ralphs wood is less than 10 lbs. (http://www.trasharoo.com/iWeb/TRASHAROO /Uses.html)

Dont get me wrong, not knocking the bag, I used the heck out of mine for over a year, but it did finally fail me. So as a suggestion, I was simply stating the stitching where the straps connect is what failed, therefore maybe they can be beefed up.

Ha-ha, skewered me with facts! Love it! I've obviously not read through the web site. :) I know Dave diligently follows all of the feedback in this thread. I've yet to figure out how to mount a Trasharoo on my trailer without adding on a spare tire mount :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1