TRD Pro as a out-of-the-box overlander/DD?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Hey all, I'm looking to purchase a Tacoma sometime this summer and I've gotten offered what seems so far like a good deal on a TRD Pro from a dealer (no negotiations yet). They've offered $36k for a manual DCSB. With this being my primary vehicle I don't foresee any major modifications in the future aside from some storage solutions (thinking of a removable bed rack). I had originally planned on a TRD OR and eventually putting on a simple leveling kit but this seems like a better option right from factory. Any input on this? The level and resi shocks alone that are factory warrantied seems enough for me but I'm making sure I'm not overlooking something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watt maker

If you don't really see yourself lifting it then the TRDP is a good option in my opinion. The price sounds fair for a TRDP as well.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
If you don't plan on doing a bunch of other stuff go for it! It should hold more resale value with factory options and work relatively well as is.

p nut

butter
Price point seems right compared to a TRD OR. Plus, I will bet it will be sought after in a few years, so if you're keeping it relatively stock, I would assume the resale value would be much better than TRD OR (as good as Tacoma's are to begin with). I remember those 99-00 Civic Si's fetched a premium in stock condition few years after the release (up to this present day, I believe).

Ren Draga

I'm surprised you were able to find a new TRD Pro Tacoma. When I bought my TRDP 4Runner, I was told that the manufacturing run on the Tacomas had ended, i.e. they were unobtanium. The dealer also said that 2015 would be the only year TRD Pros would ever be offered, but who knows? Regardless, they are rare enough that I'm sure they'll hold their value well.

Box Rocket

I agree with previous comments. If you plan to travel to places where you don't need a modified truck, then the TRD Pro would be a fantastic choice. I got to check them out pretty closely during the Baja 1000 in November. We spent quite a bit of time with the Toyota team that was there racing the TRD Pro Tundra and they had 16(?) chase trucks that were all either TRD PRO Tacomas or 4Runners. They are great. Personally I would pick the 4Runner but the Tacoma would still be an outstanding overlander.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Seems anyone in the light truck market is using junk for throw out bearings and synchros these days. I have read some completed on tacoma world but it's hard to say how common any of it really is.

p nut

butter
...Personally I would pick the 4Runner but the Tacoma would still be an outstanding overlander.

I have to agree with you there. I am a truck guy, through and through, but that 4Runner TRD Pro has more allure for me than the Tacoma. Both are awesome vehicles and wouldn't complain with either, but between the two, if I had to choose, I'd go 4Runner.

Seems anyone in the light truck market is using junk for throw out bearings and synchros these days. I have read some completed on tacoma world but it's hard to say how common any of it really is.

Typical regurgitated, over-blown internet-only issue. Sure, failure % may be higher than auto or manuals from prior generations, but definitely not delicate and fragile like some make it out to be.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys we'll see how it goes. As for the comment on the 4Runner, I just can't bring myself to drive a normal SUV. My wrangler was about as close as I've ever gotten. I've always been a truck guy but the fact that I can get a Tacoma in manual is a win-win for me (personal preference). After spending a lot of time wheeling, I've subscribed to the belief that it's 90% driver and 10% vehicle. I wouldn't hesitate to push a stock truck off road, I've seen what stock vehicles are capable of. Plus I'm already going to be hurting at ~20mpg hwy stock with a potential 80 mi round commute soon, I can't risk losing more fuel economy to heavy steel bumpers and larger tires I'll honestly probably never need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design