Tube benders

BrianTN

Adventurer
I haven't yet. The main reason I haven't purchased anything is I only need to make 6 bends in all. Right now I am calling various shops around me to see if anyone can bend the tube for me. My thought was 1.75" .120 ID DOM, but it seems no one can bend that.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My thought was 1.75" .120 ID DOM, but it seems no one can bend that.

If you're really looking at 1.75"OD & 120 ID (13/16" wall thickness) yea - that's going to be tough to bend.

If you meant 1.75" OD & .120 wall (11ga), then it shouldn't be tough to find someone to bend it. It's a very popular size for roll cages & bumpers.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Whoops, yeah I meant the wall thickness. So far 4 places have turned me down. They've all said their machines cannot bend that size.

RogueFab

I haven't yet. The main reason I haven't purchased anything is I only need to make 6 bends in all. Right now I am calling various shops around me to see if anyone can bend the tube for me. My thought was 1.75" .120 ID DOM, but it seems no one can bend that.

Most of the places in our area charge about $50 per bend, and they don't make more than one bend in one piece of material with any guarantees on bend placement. Have a drawing or sketch of what you're making?

Sounds like a good reason to rent a tool. But nobody rents benders that I have seen. You can buy one, use it, and sell it. But that is a lok of work to get 6 bends done.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Most of the places in our area charge about $50 per bend, and they don't make more than one bend in one piece of material with any guarantees on bend placement.

$50 per bend?!?!?! Damn, I need to start a business . . .

There used to be a guy around here that advertised on Craigslist for $5 per bend.

pray4surf

Explorer
Most of the places in our area charge about $50 per bend, and they don't make more than one bend in one piece of material with any guarantees on bend placement. Have a drawing or sketch of what you're making?

Sounds like a good reason to rent a tool. But nobody rents benders that I have seen. You can buy one, use it, and sell it. But that is a lok of work to get 6 bends done.

I looked at these guys when I needed four bends. I ultimately, found a local fabricator that bent my 1.5" x .09 HREW for $60

http://www.rentabender.com/ They are out of Corona CA

No affiliation, but a resource I stumbled upon when I was in the same boat.

ExpoMike

I looked at these guys when I needed four bends. I ultimately, found a local fabricator that bent my 1.5" x .09 HREW for $60

http://www.rentabender.com/ They are out of Corona CA

No affiliation, but a resource I stumbled upon when I was in the same boat.

Heck, had I known that and if your bends are 90* or less, I have a bender that will do that size (only have a 1.5" die). Sould have hit me up. Could have done it for free. :)

coastal616

Adventurer
JD2 with a hydraulic cylinder... It's awesome. Manual benders aren't that bad.....until you try a hydraulic one. When a 90 degree bend takes 2 seconds vs a minute you will never go back. :)

Glorybigs

Adventurer
JD2 Model3 elec/hydro - I researched the heck out of different benders and settled on this one. It is a quality unit and they have great customer support.

INSAYN

Adventurer
I was in the same boat back in 2002 when I was building a baja bug. I ended up just purchasing some parts from ProTools and built the rest from scratch.
Easily bends 1.5" .120w DOM, not sure about 4130 as I never needed to bend it.

Feel free to look over my design and some of the "readers benders" to get some ideas from if you decide to build your own.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Tools/Tube%20Bender/Tubingbender.htm

rollbar02.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design