Uggg Wheels don't fit dexter hubs!!!

rubicon789

Observer
Well I purchase a Dexter 3500lb axle for my m416. I ordered it in a 61'' width and went to put the wheels on today and the freaking dust cap gets in the way of the rims. I can't even get the end of the lug nut to touch the holes. Is there a different hub that may have the proper back spacing to allow for me to use my stock rims from my TJ? Or is this something I am going to have to take to a machine shop to have the rim lathed out?

This sucks.

durango_60

Explorer
I had the same problem and instead of using spacers I took my wheels to a machine shop and had great results. I had three wheels lathed out so I would have a spare tire as well.

rubicon789

Observer
Thanks NJTaco... exactly what I was looking for.

durango_60- I am thinking about that too... but then you weaken the rim a bit. I don't know that I would evr want it on my vehicle while doing 60mph on the highway. It is a thought though.

durango_60

Explorer
I don't think it really weakened the rim, but I am far from an expert in that area. I had it done at a professional wheel shop in Denver and the owner said the only drawback is that I no longer had a hub centric wheel if I ever needed to use it on my Jeep.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer

Hey, cool-that's my build. Glad it was actually useful for someone!

I'm heading out to the garage now to finish the axle work and start on the spring perchs and steel work. If you have any questions I can help with that weren't in the thread, let me know and I'd be glad to try and help. It was a bear to say the least.

Best of Luck,

Mike

rubicon789

Observer
Mike,

Thanks for the informative post. It helped out bunch. I called Jeremy yesterday and he said....

"Oh are you talking about Mike? O I know exactly what you need....."

He took care of sending me out a set of 1.5's. I assume you got a dexter axle too. I didn't do brakes, but my hubs got in the way as well. I think with mine, I may have been able to get away with 1.25" spacers, but figured I couldn't afford to ship twice. So I went with the 1.5's.

How big was your axle face to Face. Mine is 60.5 which is what I thought out Rubicon had. I will let you know how it goes as I will be installing them tomorrow. I have to assemble it all for a trip this week. Then take it all apart again to clean and paint. Thank god these this are so easy to disassemble.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Hey, glad Jeremy could help! Yeah, you're right. The Rubi does have a WMS of 60.5. I'm running Spydertrax spacers on my '05 LJ Rubi which pushes that out 1.25" on each side so I ordered my Dexter axle cut at 63" which would make it close to the Jeep's track width. After getting my axle in my hands and trying to fit the wheels, I found this issue you did, that it wouldn't work and then went into the hassle of trying to find the way of making it work. After a ton of searching and at the point of nearly ordering custom, I finally found Jeremy and gave him a shot and they worked great! I'm updating my build thread here in a second to show the wheels actually mounted. It all worked out great. With the spacers my WMS is now at 66" which is wider than I wanted, but there is no other way around it. I also really wanted to keep a 48" inside box width so I needed the wider axle to start with. My axle builder said that I needed to keep the spring perch 1.5" inside of the the widest part of the tire buldge when I burn them in for a safe clearance distance at MINIMUM and on my axle with the spacers it just barely clears the brake drum. I'm coming 3" inside the mounting flange and still getting 50" for inside box dimensions as I'm mounting my uprights outside the frame-if that makes sense at all.

Probably more info that you wanted, but the spacers offered more room for the spring perch placement as well that I didn't think about and allowed for a little wider box than I would have otherwise been able to get. If you're dead set on an inside box dimension, this may or may not be an issue. Something to think about if nothing else.

Best of Luck,

Mike

rubicon789

Observer
Yea, but then I need a trailer to to the "yo" home after the abuse. This kind of defeats the purpose of have a trailer for your expedition vehicle.

:wings:

Sorry, had to make a friendly, playful comment back!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If you were to bore out the wheels, you could have hub adaptor rings machined at the same time that would fit in the bore for any emergency situations you need to use a bore-out trailer wheel on the truck.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
spider trac spacers an it will all go together.

Do you mean Spydertrax?

If so, then no, it won't. The Dexter hub is roughly 2 1/2" outside diameter and roughly 1 3/4" deep. Spydertrax spacers are hub-centric and neck down to something around 1 7/8" or less. The center of the Moab rim for the center cap is 1 7/8" and the dust cap for the dexter hub won't fit through the hole. I tried the Spydertrax spacers and they won't work. You'll engage them roughly 5/8" before they bottom out on the hub-centric portion of the spacer. Was hoping to run them on the trailer myself as I do run them on my LJ Rubi, but no-go. Thankfully Jeremy's spacers work great. No need to go custom with them.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1