UJOR Build Thread

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Suggest inside the door skins for sound mat. I've also seen it put on valve covers and oil pans.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

DzlToy

Explorer
Yeah I was thinking about taking the insulation off, adding Dynamat, and then putting the factory insulation back on. As I've dug into the dash I've actually been really surprised by how much insulation it has.

Chris, I am happy to delete this if you don't want it in here. It is difficult to undo the brain-washing that has occurred over the last few decades, but I am trying :D

---------------

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ishna-Operation-K-I-S-S?p=2126691#post2126691

First, don't buy anything that says Dynamat on it.

Now that is out of the way, you have a few options:

To properly dampen sound, requires a bit of engineering and a bit of planning. Covering the inside of your Jeep, van or Honda with MLV (Mass Laminated Vinyl) is not the answer to proper sound deadening. It is the answer, however, if the question is, "how do I waste a lot of time and money?"

See if you can find someone in your area like these guys, they know sound deadening: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

You may need a product like Spectrum's Sound Sludge in one place, LLP (Luxury Liner Pro) in another place and two layers of 3M's Thinsulate, which is hydrophobic, non-woven, non-linting polymeric micro fiber, in another. There is NO one product that does everything and there is no formula that fits every car or truck. Each product has a job, so to speak. An all terrain tire sucks on a race track and a drag radial sucks in the mud. Both are tires.

Think of the difference in sound between a door slamming and someone walking on a hardwood floor in high heel shoes. What about a screaming child in the next camp site over compared to miles of rough pavement?

More is not better, covering all the walls, floor, ceiling and doors in heavy sound deadener will certainly attenuate some sound, however the idea is to change the resonant frequency of the panel with different materias, as I understand it. Sound is transmitted by vibration at different frequencies, so the goal is to minimise the sound transmission over a broad spectrum, whicih is not a cut and paste job, completed in an hour after work. Take your time and do it right and you will enjoy your van much more.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Chris, I am happy to delete this if you don't want it in here. It is difficult to undo the brain-washing that has occurred over the last few decades, but I am trying :D

---------------

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ishna-Operation-K-I-S-S?p=2126691#post2126691

First, don't buy anything that says Dynamat on it.

Now that is out of the way, you have a few options:

To properly dampen sound, requires a bit of engineering and a bit of planning. Covering the inside of your Jeep, van or Honda with MLV (Mass Laminated Vinyl) is not the answer to proper sound deadening. It is the answer, however, if the question is, "how do I waste a lot of time and money?"

See if you can find someone in your area like these guys, they know sound deadening: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

You may need a product like Spectrum's Sound Sludge in one place, LLP (Luxury Liner Pro) in another place and two layers of 3M's Thinsulate, which is hydrophobic, non-woven, non-linting polymeric micro fiber, in another. There is NO one product that does everything and there is no formula that fits every car or truck. Each product has a job, so to speak. An all terrain tire sucks on a race track and a drag radial sucks in the mud. Both are tires.

Think of the difference in sound between a door slamming and someone walking on a hardwood floor in high heel shoes. What about a screaming child in the next camp site over compared to miles of rough pavement?

More is not better, covering all the walls, floor, ceiling and doors in heavy sound deadener will certainly attenuate some sound, however the idea is to change the resonant frequency of the panel with different materias, as I understand it. Sound is transmitted by vibration at different frequencies, so the goal is to minimise the sound transmission over a broad spectrum, whicih is not a cut and paste job, completed in an hour after work. Take your time and do it right and you will enjoy your van much more.

I'm guilty of using "dynamat" as a generic term. The sound deadener I am actually using is KnuKonceptz Kno Knoise 80 mil (because I like butyl rubber over asphalt). I plan to insulate with Thinsulate SM600L, and still need to figure out what to do about the floor (other than stall mats). Researching rigid foam that will hold up to the point loads that flooring sees.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
My customer asked for it, his long time stereo guy was specific on what to do so I did that. The whole interior will be done by SMB soon so it will all get covered up.

Jb1rd

Explorer
LOLZ DzlToy!! I'm wondering what you you were thinking after seeing that DM pic of AlphaVan :sombrero: I have settled on a product called sound skin but it will have to wait until spring now that the weather is turning cold and I don't have a garage bay with enclosed door on a carport/garage hybrid :(
Here is a link for future reference if anyone cares to check them out.
http://soundskinsusa.com/

Jsweezy

Explorer
LOLZ DzlToy!! I'm wondering what you you were thinking after seeing that DM pic of AlphaVan :sombrero: I have settled on a product called sound skin but it will have to wait until spring now that the weather is turning cold and I don't have a garage bay with enclosed door on a carport/garage hybrid :(
Here is a link for future reference if anyone cares to check them out.
http://soundskinsusa.com/

Also check out VB-2 by Cascade Audio, similar product without all the flair.

Ujoint - Vans looking good!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
V8 build is about to go down! Soft tear down today with some frame cleaning, parts off to the blaster & coater. Then off to be wrapped and back here for suspension. I pity the fool who don't like this van!

14908179_1328535577165667_1665201061315711009_n.jpg

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ i really hope that's a reference to the theme that this van will get. ive been waiting to see a van with the stance that most of yours end up having with that paintjob...

kccourtney

Observer
Yeah, start sourcing that red roof spoiler now.

Hey Chris, I know you offer the front receiver that attaches to your front bumper but have you ever done one that mounts to the frame side rails, perhaps a bolt-on using the bolt locations of the front hangers? I had to grind mine off when I put your kit on and looking for a quick and easy (read affordable) way to get that back on. I'm sure I can get a local fab place to make one but figured I'd check with you to see if you've already done some so as not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Yeah, start sourcing that red roof spoiler now.

Hey Chris, I know you offer the front receiver that attaches to your front bumper but have you ever done one that mounts to the frame side rails, perhaps a bolt-on using the bolt locations of the front hangers? I had to grind mine off when I put your kit on and looking for a quick and easy (read affordable) way to get that back on. I'm sure I can get a local fab place to make one but figured I'd check with you to see if you've already done some so as not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

I was just thinking the same thing the other day, a receiver hitch that fit between the UJOR spring hangers and bolt in to the existing bolt holes.
I threw a way a rusty receiver hitch that I wish I would have kept to cut up for a project like this.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We've done it a few times here, one offs. Since the inside frame hanger bolts aren't pre drilled (drilled during install as you guys are well aware of!) they can be off by a few degrees and that would cause problems if I pre make a x-member. So, yes, it can be done but we don't plan to offer anything.

DzlToy

Explorer
"Everybody's free to wear sunscreen" :D

"The customer is always right; even when they are wrong, they are still right."

What is the budget for Alpha or is there one?

Met a guy a few weeks ago who had 150K in an Outside Sprinter and said there were several things that he wanted but left out due to budget.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
"Everybody's free to wear sunscreen" :D

"The customer is always right; even when they are wrong, they are still right."

True dat.

We might make suggestions and recommendations, but if a customer is certain about what they want then that's what they are getting.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
We've done it a few times here, one offs. Since the inside frame hanger bolts aren't pre drilled (drilled during install as you guys are well aware of!) they can be off by a few degrees and that would cause problems if I pre make a x-member. So, yes, it can be done but we don't plan to offer anything.

Makes sense, the bolt pattern probably isn't the same left to right let alone van to van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1