Unusual Problem with Track Bar on XJ

ExpoMike

So, you had a dropped pitman arm but not a track bar that was dropped equally, correct? That can definitely cause some wierd bump steer. Always make sure the track bar and the drag link from the PA to the knuckle are in the same plane and angle. This will keep bump steer to a minimum or zero.

alosix

Expedition Leader
So, you had a dropped pitman arm but not a track bar that was dropped equally, correct? That can definitely cause some wierd bump steer. Always make sure the track bar and the drag link from the PA to the knuckle are in the same plane and angle. This will keep bump steer to a minimum or zero.

x2

the DPA in the 'cheap' kits tends to be a left over from the leaf spring front vehicle days. It has no place on a 5 link rig unless there has been a change to the mounting points of the track bar.

I think the only full kits from RE that come with one are the 5.5" kits that come with the 1610 or 1660 as well.

xr8dxj

Adventurer
For me, I found the TnT (now Treks) one about a beef and robust as you can get. It uses a stock type rubber bushing at the axle (to keep vibration down) and a Johnny Joint at the frame. There frame bracket is about a bullet proof as a piece of metal can be. Not the cheapest out there but it's a one time buy and I don't like to have cheap parts break in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=99

My .02 worth.
I don't think it is possible to go wrong when incorporating any TnT Customs (Treks, now? ******?) components into your rig's lift or armor. I wish they were around in '97 when I first lifted the XJ.

I'm personally running the stock track-bar via an antiquated Tomken drop-down bracket. Even though I don't really like Tomken and despise the concept of a "drop-down" or "add-a-anything" it has served me well over the years. It is the last remaining piece of the original 6" Tomken lift. But when I replace it, I'm going the TnT route.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader

Nope. Everything is suppose to be for a vehicle with 4" or so of lift.
I"m going to get the RE Extreme Duty and have the strength of the flex joint and bracket and hopefully not have to worry about it.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Update: Gotta love Bonus $$

SO , we received a bonus at work and I decided that instead of putting it towards bills, I was going to enjoy it....so I stopped by Rubicon Express today at lunch and picked up ther 1660 track bar and cropr bracket.
Man this thing is beefy....way beefire than the rustys one I have currently.
Hopefully the weather will hold out and I can install it tomorrow and be done with snapped tie rod ends.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Good choice, that was mine, no complaints. Rusty's setup with the stock TRE is just bad news.

x2 there.

You just don't get to see how bad that Rusty's stuff is until you have some RE stuff sitting next to it.

We used to get Rusty to show up @ a good bit of the Jeep shows in the North east when I was selling parts. A lot of the stuff he was selling was downright scary to me. For that reason I'd never carry his stuff.

Jason

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
x2 there.

You just don't get to see how bad that Rusty's stuff is until you have some RE stuff sitting next to it.

We used to get Rusty to show up @ a good bit of the Jeep shows in the North east when I was selling parts. A lot of the stuff he was selling was downright scary to me. For that reason I'd never carry his stuff.

Jason

You only get what youy pay for. Rusty is a good guy and his products are fantastic for what you pay. It's inexpensive. He sells a ton of stuff over seas because of his prices. With that said I can say from personal experiance if I don't search out and buy the very best and often most expensive parts then they break or I'm am just not happy with them. I too used a TnT track bar and bracket.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Its on and its sweet.
Pretty straight forward. Had to drill the stock axle bracket to 1/2 inch, but other than that...eazy breezy.
Did I say how BEEFY this thing is...:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1