Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Adelie

So, wbaker911...whatcha waiting for? We just traded our Maserati for a Willys. We have already ordered the Ursa Minor top (even before we took it on an inaugural drive up Schnebly Hill in Sedona).
image.jpg
No, really... We did! Loved the Maserati, but...
image.jpg

Last edited:

Munson

Just picked mine up!

Hi everyone! Just picked my J30 a few weeks ago and wanted to post a few pics. It's my first post here, but I've been lurking for a few months. I want to thank everyone, especially Brian, for all the extremely helpful posts!

20140511_170945.jpg

Attachments

• 20140423_131753.jpeg
    20140423_131753.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 105

geordie4x4

Observer
Just spent four nights sleeping in the J30 on a maze/utah trip , probably the best 4 nights sleep I have ever had camping. Only improvement I could ask for is to make the padding inside a little thicker. I have two exped syn 7 sleeping pads that are awesome though and fit in the J30 perfect width wise. Although with sleeping pads And two people getting in and out is tricky but well worth it.

pugagu4a.jpg
qymaju9u.jpg

Wow, fantastic looking country.

SO,
if the wife and I were to want to come over to the US for 6 months to a year of touring, what would a reasonable Jeep and one of these pop top rigs cost me.

Also what would the resale be like. I figure that if I want to travel around, it might be cheaper to not try and hire a big Winebago but just buy a second hand Jeep and something like the Ursa Minor top. Use it for six months to a year and sell it before we go home. Might be much better than trying to get my right-hand drive vehicle over there.

Justincredible

Adventurer

SO,
if the wife and I were to want to come over to the US for 6 months to a year of touring, what would a reasonable Jeep and one of these pop top rigs cost me.

Also what would the resale be like. I figure that if I want to travel around, it might be cheaper to not try and hire a big Winebago but just buy a second hand Jeep and something like the Ursa Minor top. Use it for six months to a year and sell it before we go home. Might be much better than trying to get my right-hand drive vehicle over there.
That's actually a good idea if you can swing it financially.

Jeeps hold their value pretty well, so you won't take much of a hit when you sell it, but you also won't find a used JK for very cheap in the first place.

Espo78

Adventurer
For a 6 month tour of the US I would much prefer something with a bathroom... I love the Ursa Minor top but for your application I don't think it would be ideal. Despite what you see on the web most of the US is covered in paved roads. There are really awesome national parks with well maintained roads throughout. If you really want to get in the backwoods on your trip then maybe, but if you have never been to this country there is enough to see and keep you occupied without needing the offroad and camping ability of a Jeep+ursa minor combo.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

SO,

Make sure you get an actual tourist visa (5 years is easy and cheap).
If you don't and just get the visa-waiver instead , you won't be able to get a drivers license, won't be able to register a car and won't be able to insure it.
(I'm an Aussie, and I lived in the states for a while)

You could also do the same thing in Canada, crossing the border is simple and requires nothing extra/different.

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just spent four nights sleeping in the J30 on a maze/utah trip , probably the best 4 nights sleep I have ever had camping. Only improvement I could ask for is to make the padding inside a little thicker. I have two exped syn 7 sleeping pads that are awesome though and fit in the J30 perfect width wise. Although with sleeping pads And two people getting in and out is tricky but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are living my dream! Awesome shots!.

Hi everyone! Just picked my J30 a few weeks ago and wanted to post a few pics. It's my first post here, but I've been lurking for a few months. I want to thank everyone, especially Brian, for all the extremely helpful posts!

View attachment 225742

Wow! that looks really good with the black sides and green top.
So will we get to see cool camping shots?

Just bought a JKURX, so now it's a matter of brown bagging lunch, and saving up beer money for the next year so I can get this top.
Looking forward to hear about long term use/mods/issues.
I had a VW Eurovan Camper that was awesome for going to the coast, or the desert, or paved campgrounds in the mountains, but with the low slung LP tank it didn't like going on the trail. So I'm really looking forward to setting this up on the Jeep.

skates04

Adventurer
For a 6 month tour of the US I would much prefer something with a bathroom... I love the Ursa Minor top but for your application I don't think it would be ideal. Despite what you see on the web most of the US is covered in paved roads. There are really awesome national parks with well maintained roads throughout. If you really want to get in the backwoods on your trip then maybe, but if you have never been to this country there is enough to see and keep you occupied without needing the offroad and camping ability of a Jeep+ursa minor combo.

I agree, 6months to a year in a jeep would be rough especially with how much time you will spend on road (pavement), living in it. I think the J30 is great for a couple weeks/months but could get old. It's still do able depending on how tolerant you are and is nothing compared to those living out of a dual sport bike.

As stated there is tons to see on the road but still a unique experience to be had off the beaten path.

You can easily rent a JK in places like colorado and Utah/Moab. I think a company in colorado is now renting jeeps that are expedition ready with roof top tents ect. Might be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Espo78

Adventurer
Did you contact Ursa Minor? That does seem like a significant problem but I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say about it before putting it on a public forum.

Munson

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
We just finished a five day trip to the north rim of the grand canyon. Thought I'd post a few pictures of the trip. We had some crazy weather up there. It was beautiful when we arrived. The next morning we woke up to thunderstorms, wind, and hail. We couldn't get out of the tent until after noon. We decided to drive the 30 miles to civilization and were hit with a snow storm with downed trees blocking our path. We managed to work our way around on a different route. The next day was cold and drizzly, and then it warmed up for two days of perfect weather before climbing up into the high 80s for our drive home! We really enjoyed our time in the j30 and it held up great for our trip. I have plenty more pictures to post, but it's tough trying to do this all from my phone! :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Great report and images. Have you ever camped in similar weather in a tent? How would you compare the experience in the J30? Pro's and Con's?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Adversity; the spice of life

Awesome pictures!
What a cool adventure. :Wow1:

I rode shotgun over the Rubicon one year where the weather started off nice, then rain, then huge snow. It was three days of great fun.
A bit of adversity really spices up life! :beer:

skates04

Adventurer
Hoist

Has any one made a hoist for their J30 yet? I have some more difficult trails planned this summer. I would like to remove the top a few times mainly so I don't damage it. I know some people use the Racor Garage Storage lift for the factory JKU top. The weight limit is 250lbs. The J30 Weighs in at 265 if I remember correctly with out options so not sure I want to go that way. Just curious if any one on here has done anything like this yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1