Utah M416a1 trailer slow build

cruisertoy

Explorer
You can get new brass bushings and greasable bolts from http://www.vintagejeepparts.com. I just did, so I know that they are available. My local spring shop had greasable bolts, but they were a little long for these narrow springs. These springs are found on the front of 47-49 CJ2As and 50-53 CJ3As.

Thanks Jared. I ordered the Bushings tonight. I also threw in a new set of spring eye bolts as the old ones were obviously worn.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Are going to hook the brakes back up? Did you flip the brake assembly? Looks good.

I spun the axle around 180 degrees on the tires and then rotated the axle 180 so that the brake cables are on top and pointed to the front. I slipped the old pins back in and lowered it down tonight. It looks lile I'll have to make some sort of adapter to hold the cable sheath in place.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I spun the axle around 180 degrees on the tires and then rotated the axle 180 so that the brake cables are on top and pointed to the front. I slipped the old pins back in and lowered it down tonight. It looks lile I'll have to make some sort of adapter to hold the cable sheath in place.

Try something like this. Just some scrap steel to extend it so that it reaches.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I purchased a set of aluminum adapters to go from the 5x5.5 to my 80 series' 6 x 5.5" rims. The plan is to run a Pair of 255/85/16 tires I have kicking around. Becuase my trailer is a m416A1 it already has the 10" drummed 3500lb axle under it. I could have switched our just the drum to the new bolt pattern but when i measured I though it was going to put the tires too close to the body of the trailer. I'm pretty sure I miss-measured. I threw one of the 80 wheels on tonight and the tire sticks a good 5" out from the stock fender, 15" from the outside of the tire to the body. They make the Axle about 63" hub to hub. The 80 series axle is darn close to that. Traditionally one wants the trailer tires to be the same width as the tow vehicle's, correct? I don't mind doing a little tube bending and sheet metal work to make a new set of fenders.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I have the same fender issue whether I use my jeep tires or adapters and Taco tires..
I need 14" wide fenders. I am trying to finally do this before our May trip to OX15..

cruisertoy

Explorer
I guess it is time for another update on my progress. The lid turned out pretty nice, but I need to get the next larger size of Destaco Clamp to hold everything closed more securely. It's 1.5 x 3" Aluminum Tubing with a couple 1" Square tube supports. Pretty much scrap I had kicking around. I used a .25" thick ABS plastic sheet and adhered it to the aluminum with some 3m double sided industrial tape. The Aluminum rails on the top are secured he spring over was really tall and my family is really short. It made it challenging to get gear in and out of the trailer. I put it back as a spring under for now and am going to build a set of lift shackles to give me the clearance under my new fenders. I'm still waiting on a set of shackle bushings to come in. Apparently the package is lost in shipping somewhere. If it doesn't come early this week I'll just order another set.

I have a lot of respect for metal fabricators out there. I used to do a bunch and my skills are a little rusty. I've got a JD2 tubing bender and a couple dies so I bent up some fender/MFC can carriers. They turned out pretty good but I wanted the fender to sit an inch or so taller. I'll run them like they are for now and see if I need to rebuild them. Overall I'm excited with how it is all turning out. Now I just need to schedule some time off to go and play.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Thanks Kurt. Other than the lift shocks for the lid, wheels and adapters and a few odds and ends- most of the stuff came out of my hoarding piles in the garage. Sometimes it's good to be a hoarder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online