Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

No updates as of right now, the last update I had was that the windows, mattress, and tent vinyl were/are the biggest holdups. That picture is of my camper! The tunnel box was a one off design for this camper, and it wont be a pass-through (I won't be able to reach anything in it from the front). There will be Tern doors on the tunnel box as well.

One of the benefits of Vagabond is it being such a customizable camper. No other company I talked to would entertain doing something custom like this, but Phil was the one who actually thought of this idea and I was all game.

Since I have the a 8' bed, this was the only real way I could run a VO camper. Stoked and I'll keep waiting as long as it takes!

View attachment 742869
Are you getting your camper powder coated this time? I'm still on the fence with this option..

huruta

Hello. We have a Vagabond Drifter. We recently put in some GooseGear interior build pieces after a theft (*******ker). We have some interior easy-to-install cabinets originally made by MapJunkie (name on TacomaWorld) that I stained in a dark stain that are available for free. It was a rough prototype, but if you are looking for some easy, free interior build out (both driver and passenger sides), you are welcome to pick them up from us for free. We also have a BedRug. They are both for a long bed - ours is a 2nd gen, but I think this stuff will work for others. We are in Ballard, Seattle where this would need to be picked up. Let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

huruta

FWIW, our camper is from 2019 and was not powdercoated and it has worked out just fine - haven't done anything to it and it looks good to us.

Also, recently updated to a Hest mattress. Punctured Exped Megamat and returned to REI. Hest is very comfortable. Only down side is that it's a bit of a tight squeeze (as was the Exped) and hard to move out of the way - wish it was a bit smaller or that the sleeping space was a bit bigger, but that's what it is. It is a huge upgrade from the factory mattress of 3 years ago.

dan8906

FWIW, our camper is from 2019 and was not powdercoated and it has worked out just fine - haven't done anything to it and it looks good to us.

Also, recently updated to a Hest mattress. Punctured Exped Megamat and returned to REI. Hest is very comfortable. Only down side is that it's a bit of a tight squeeze (as was the Exped) and hard to move out of the way - wish it was a bit smaller or that the sleeping space was a bit bigger, but that's what it is. It is a huge upgrade from the factory mattress of 3 years ago.
We recently purchased the smaller exped matress and are making some foam inserts to fill the gaps. Wonder if you brought the hest to an upholstery shop if they could trim it down some.

czukie

Yes 100%. Powdercoat is the way. Raw is such a PITA to take care of and always looks dirty. Plus harder to sell when the time comes.
I got mine powdercoated and definitely think it’s a cooler look, but with that said, I think a raw aluminum version would be easier to sell…so long as no oxidation is present

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
I got mine powdercoated and definitely think it’s a cooler look, but with that said, I think a raw aluminum version would be easier to sell…so long as no oxidation is present
Powder coating seems overkill unless you leave the roof bare and go with white to reduce temps. It seems mostly a vanity option to get a color that matches better.

I have a bare aluminum Drifter and there is no “oxidation” that is visible. This DRifter lives in Colorado and occasionally sees magnesium chloride spry from the road applications in the winter time. I have never treated, stripped, polished or waxed it. It does show some scratches from trails, but this looks better than gouged powdercoat.

czukie

Powder coating seems overkill unless you leave the roof bare and go with white to reduce temps. It seems mostly a vanity option to get a color that matches better.

I have a bare aluminum Drifter and there is no “oxidation” that is visible. This DRifter lives in Colorado and occasionally sees magnesium chloride spry from the road applications in the winter time. I have never treated, stripped, polished or waxed it. It does show some scratches from trails, but this looks better than gouged powdercoat.

I agree it’s mostly aesthetics. I do a fair share of winter/cold night camping so mine is currently black powder coated lower section (insulated) and a bare aluminum top/lid with the lower edges also powder coated black so the roof is not powder coated, but you can’t tell until it’s popped up.…at least that’s what the photos show…still “waiting on canvas”….

FWIW after having a powder coated black camper previously (snap treehouse) I can also say was not as big of a deal as I, personally, thought it was going to be prior to owning it. I live down the hill from you in the Springs and that camper was hardly ever too hot to touch even after being left out in the summer sun (also had the added benefit of melting the heaviest of snowfalls in hours).

OVRLNDFX4

Has anyone heard anything back? Been rather quiet lately. I thought thier working on thier communications. At least thats what thier latest email told me. Sent in 2 emails recently with 0 response….

I sent them an email a few weeks ago, and Phil responded the next day. Though my completion date is a ways away, and my questions were easy/simple.

czukie

Has anyone heard anything back? Been rather quiet lately. I thought thier working on thier communications. At least thats what thier latest email told me. Sent in 2 emails recently with 0 response….
If history is any indication, response times will remain the same/erractic and they will send another email/post regarding their efforts to improve communication in another 6-8 months. I've had email exchanges with Phil where he replied within hours and I've had emails that have got unanswered. It really depends on if you get lucky enough that Phil sees your email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh