Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

Atwyld

Spoke with my buddy today who is a lawyer. He gave me some solid advice and I’ll be stopping by when I’m up there. I’ll report back when visit is completed.

Since small claims requires you to collect yourself I think the answer is… who knows. My buddy looked into these and most ended with second party (vagabond) no shows, thus ruled in favor of plaintiff. And since it’s an LLC there is no one accountable for said money besides vagabond.
Gosh, and possibly liquidate all of their assets to pay everyone (maybe)

Anyone been able to stop by the shop in recent weeks? Is there anyone on-site? I'm in Southern California, have invested in a Nomad and also unable to reach anyone at Vagabond Outdoors.

I am aware of the collections case as well as the several small claims against Vagabond Outdoors. I have no clue what is happening on the ground in Benicia.

I am contemplating booking a flight to SF; I'm pissed like most others on here. The data is:

1. Collections case in Sonoma County between Vagabond Outdoors AND Phillip Villanueva and CAN Capital; civil case.
2. Several small claims cases that have issued judgements in favor of the plaintiffs (possibly customers)

I know nothing more than that or if other cases were filed in other counties since small claims can be filed anywhere a "contract" was signed by the plaintiff, which could be everywhere.

My next steps are to have a skip trace conducted on Phil to identify his current whereabouts.

Stopped by on a Friday the 7th, closed and an empty parking lot. haven’t tried again, but I intend to. I haven’t seen Phil there the last 2 times I’ve been, not sure if that’s where he spends any time.
My guy just served a guy named Barry C., whom attested to be the person responsible for service. Note: This is "substituted service" so please do not use this forum as a source of fact if you're filing your own suit as I definitely don't want to mislead anyone about the agent authorized for service at VO.

This really sucks and I'm so disappointed that it has come down to the courts to decide. Too many times in our country, we rely on the justice system to resolve issues that we should be able to resolve ourselves through reason and communication.

Communication with VO was unacceptable, always. They seemed to indicate a glimmer of hope in March, which quickly faded into cut phone lines and a collections case being filed in Sonoma. My fiancé and I were looking forward to this camper for the past two years, sunk a ton of money into a brand new truck and got caught flat-footed with this news.

Now waiting again for another camper at a total loss of our deposit and any words to explain why VO chose this path when they put out such a high quality unit!

Again, this is painful, but there's those of us all over the place that have been through much worse in life and so I'd eventually like to think of this as a learning lesson and move on with the overlanding adventures!

Update today:

I restricted Vagabond Outdoors' PayPal portal by escalating my suit and the presence of other judgments against them to PayPal. This should offer some protection from other unsuspecting community members' sinking deposits into a fraudulent business.

When Vagabond Outdoors reaches out to PayPal to unlock their account and settle the escalation, I'll be notified of their updated contact information; will post here. I'm still pending Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Discover escalations.

nopeoffroad

Update today:

I restricted Vagabond Outdoors' PayPal portal by escalating my suit and the presence of other judgments against them to PayPal. This should offer some protection from other unsuspecting community members' sinking deposits into a fraudulent business.

When Vagabond Outdoors reaches out to PayPal to unlock their account and settle the escalation, I'll be notified of their updated contact information; will post here. I'm still pending Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Discover escalations.

Good call.

Another option would be to buy a simple domain "dontbuyvagabondoutdoors.com" or something for a dollar on godaddy and host the free website on wix or something. Then on that page link this forum thread. That way when people search for them, it would be easy to find this website. Just a thought.

What a trainwreck. And IMHO they had the best wedge camper. Someone buy them out and restart the biz!

Could happen, but then wouldn't you inherit their debt or atleast some of it? You would also be helping Phil out, which he does not deserve. He has sold campers he knew he would not produce, and has for sure earned the hole he is dug himself into. Topo and AT already make very similar products and started on their own. Would probably be a better financial decision to replicate rather than buy a brand with an already awful reputation and tons of debt.

OVRLNDFX4

Good call.

Another option would be to buy a simple domain "dontbuyvagabondoutdoors.com" or something for a dollar on godaddy and host the free website on wix or something. Then on that page link this forum thread. That way when people search for them, it would be easy to find this website. Just a thought.

Could happen, but then wouldn't you inherit their debt or atleast some of it? You would also be helping Phil out, which he does not deserve. He has sold campers he knew he would not produce, and has for sure earned the hole he is dug himself into. Topo and AT already make very similar products and started on their own. Would probably be a better financial decision to replicate rather than buy a brand with an already awful reputation and tons of debt.
true! I rooted for them before. Actually had a deposit on a Nomad for my truck. Then saw the writing on the wall once we dug in a little bit and then noticed communication went from good, to minimal, to sparce, then nothing. Luckily we drove up un announced and demanded a refund due to silence and other info we gathered. Surprisingly Phil, although shocked we were there considering we live in Los angeles gave our small deposit back. Just sad. But im happy we got 100% of the money back. But he did give us a break on the deposit fee.

true! I rooted for them before. Actually had a deposit on a Nomad for my truck. Then saw the writing on the wall once we dug in a little bit and then noticed communication went from good, to minimal, to sparce, then nothing. Luckily we drove up un announced and demanded a refund due to silence and other info we gathered. Surprisingly Phil, although shocked we were there considering we live in Los angeles gave our small deposit back. Just sad. But im happy we got 100% of the money back. But he did give us a break on the deposit fee.
That is also something I'm also considering. I also live in Orange County. I don't think I'll be very kind after my 8 hour drive, but I'll plan to have a court judgement in my favor and can go to his shop with a Sheriff and a till tap/search&seizure warrant.

There is a "Barry C." at the shop now, not sure who he is, could be Phil haha. He was described as a 5'10"-6', 55-65yo, gray-haired man weighing about 180-200lbs.

danneskjold

That is also something I'm also considering. I also live in Orange County. I don't think I'll be very kind after my 8 hour drive, but I'll plan to have a court judgement in my favor and can go to his shop with a Sheriff and a till tap/search&seizure warrant.

There is a "Barry C." at the shop now, not sure who he is, could be Phil haha. He was described as a 5'10"-6', 55-65yo, gray-haired man weighing about 180-200lbs.

I believe "Barry C" might be Barry Callouette, one of the neighboring shops and I believe also the landlord. Might be worth calling him and seeing if he knows anything.
Description certainly matches him: .

I believe "Barry C" might be Barry Callouette, one of the neighboring shops and I believe also the landlord. Might be worth calling him and seeing if he knows anything.
Description certainly matches him: .
Thanks, that's very helpful! I'll give him a call tomorrow. Doesn't seem like good news, however, that Barry is now on premises and Phil is not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal